Why So Many Gray Cars ?

:ack-1: How can any red blooded American man not know what a Ford GT is?

Probably cause they were rare and the goats kicked there ass

Yeah, in a quarter mile race, for sure, but get out on the open road and it was a far different story. I've had my 289 cu inch Mk I up to 209 mph. Try doing that in your old Goat!

Blow bubbles..

How many times you got the girl driving my 1972 grand prix?

View attachment 173072

Well, I ALWAYS got the girl in My Ford, not so much your grand prix. Though it is a nice ride i must say!

Joyride%20ford%20gt%20background%20image.jpg
Joyride%20ford%20gt%20background%20image.jpg

You know westwall I forgot about the Ford GT you really had one?

I am impressed ..my greatest car I bought off the line was a GT 5.0 mustang convertible

In 1995 it was white

View attachment 173077

Hell, I still have it! I bought it way back in 1973 after it had suffered a minor shunt and the the owner didn't want to spend the money to fix her back up again.

For once I agree with protectionist. Gray is a terrible color for cars. You disappear in the rain.

When Hurricane Irma was beginning to hit Atlanta, I was out in the weather checking on herds for a friend. He has 5 herds of goats that he rents out to eat overgrown areas. It is a great business. But they have to be checked daily (dogs fed, temp fencing walked ect). Anyway, I was driving on I-285, and doing 45 or so. It was the maximum safe speed, imo. A smallish gray car went flying by me, without its lights on. I only saw it for a few seconds. It was invisible behind me and disappeared quickly in front of me. Good way to die.

For once I agree with protectionist. Gray is a terrible color for cars. You disappear in the rain.

When Hurricane Irma was beginning to hit Atlanta, I was out in the weather checking on herds for a friend. He has 5 herds of goats that he rents out to eat overgrown areas. It is a great business. But they have to be checked daily (dogs fed, temp fencing walked ect). Anyway, I was driving on I-285, and doing 45 or so. It was the maximum safe speed, imo. A smallish gray car went flying by me, without its lights on. I only saw it for a few seconds. It was invisible behind me and disappeared quickly in front of me. Good way to die.
Best (safest) colors

1 Yellow - for night and rain/fog

2. Orange - for rain/fog

3. White - for night driving (not so good for rain/fog)

Besides who the heck buys a gray car ? Do these people watch too many old black & white TV shows ? I wonder what's causing this ?

The real problem with newer cars is that they look exactly the same regardless of color. All look like generic, sort of blobby metal substitutes. A few decades ago cars had such different, unique styles of body design, you could instantly tell what its make/model was by looking at. They all used to have their own design voice. Today's cars are generic, somewhat-liquid shaped clones of each other. Which resemble, on a larger scale, one of those Tide pods mounted on wheels.

The real problem with newer cars is that they look exactly the same regardless of color. All look like generic, sort of blobby metal substitutes. A few decades ago cars had such different, unique styles of body design, you could instantly tell what its make/model was by looking at. They all used to have their own design voice. Today's cars are generic, somewhat-liquid shaped clones of each other. Which resemble, on a larger scale, one of those Tide pods mounted on wheels.
Good observation. One reason they all so much alike is thy are trying to be aerodynmaic, and keep the fuel efficiency down low.

When I look at my apartment window at the parking lot below, I see almost entirely gray cars. And the rest are black or white, with a few maroon ones (another dull color). My car is red. Then there one Camaro which is a brilliant orange. if it weren't for these 2 cars, you'd think you were looking at a 1950s black & white TV show.

I decided to check out the colors of cars on the road. Sure enough. They're mostly all gray. What's the matter people ? Don't you believe in color any more ? I remember back in the 50s, cars were colorful, and often even 2 tone colors.

Gray cars are not only dull looking, they van also be hazardous. The Dept of Highway Safety says the safest color for a car is yellow (high visiblity both at night and in fog). 2nd best is orange. 3rd is red. The worst > gray (least visiblitly in fog).

So if you have a gray car, get down to the nearest auto paint shop, and get some color on your car.

1050s-yellow-Ford-thunderbird.jpg

images
images

6258111551_09c68180b3_b.jpg
Because there are 50 shades of gray?

I will also start my own thread about that GORGEOUS car, I bet my thread gets more responses than your stupid thread with you telling everyone that cars in ice cream colours that look like Gangsta Pimps wearing Bling Bling would drive them are somehow sophisticated. With that of course I expect you to be devoid of taste and unable to appreciate a thing of BEAUTY like the 1963/1964 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe (C2)
I wouldn't pay 10 cents for any coupe (2 door)

Now if you want to talk about "things of beauty" THIS is front & center >>

Last edited:
I think you mean METALLIC. Somewhere along the line, car MAKERS decided the colour trends and they are now mostly all some form of metallic. But I agree, I don't and would not own a "gray" car.
Metallic or non-metallic,I can't stand gray for a car, and thank goodness I'm 76 years old, and my hair is still dark (100%)

My last 3 cars have always been silver. IDK. Just what they come in. When I had a silver Buick, there were so many of them about that a few times I tried getting in the wrong car--a few times with someone sitting in them.

When I look at my apartment window at the parking lot below, I see almost entirely gray cars. And the rest are black or white, with a few maroon ones (another dull color). My car is red. Then there one Camaro which is a brilliant orange. if it weren't for these 2 cars, you'd think you were looking at a 1950s black & white TV show.

I decided to check out the colors of cars on the road. Sure enough. They're mostly all gray. What's the matter people ? Don't you believe in color any more ? I remember back in the 50s, cars were colorful, and often even 2 tone colors.

Gray cars are not only dull looking, they van also be hazardous. The Dept of Highway Safety says the safest color for a car is yellow (high visiblity both at night and in fog). 2nd best is orange. 3rd is red. The worst > gray (least visiblitly in fog).

So if you have a gray car, get down to the nearest auto paint shop, and get some color on your car.

1050s-yellow-Ford-thunderbird.jpg

images
images

6258111551_09c68180b3_b.jpg
It goes back to what Henry Ford said, "You can have any color you want as long as its black." The mfrs have some kind of formula that they follow and they only produce a few colors. Gray has been predominant for a few years. I remember a few years when white was the big one. They flood the dealerships with these neutral colors and people don't care--they just want the car.

Gray cars are a hazard. Owned one once and I'll never have that color again. I can't tell you how many times my gray car blended in with pavement on cloudy days. I almost was T-boned about 50 times driving that car. Glad the day I traded it in on a colored car.
Even worse in the fog. Best color for that is yellow. That's why they make fog lights that color.

1661398701018.png
1661398763386.png

You know westwall I forgot about the Ford GT you really had one?

I am impressed ..my greatest car I bought off the line was a GT 5.0 mustang convertible

In 1995 it was white

View attachment 173077
Not bad. Even though white is one of the exteriors I dislike, it is enhanced in this car by the red interior, all the more visible as a convertible. A lot better than those dreary all-gray ones.

Great, as long as you didn't actually want to drive it. The split window was dumped because it totally ruined the already-bad rear visibility. The C2 Corvettes were cramped, hot, and uncomfortable.
You sure you got enough pictures in here ? For a car with a racy style, what it waste to have it in Black. Good for a funeral procession.

Thinking back to 1963, my favorite for that year I when I still liked coupes) was the Ford Thunderbird convertible, with the removable hard top. (converted it from a 4 seater to a 2 seater.

1661401241645.png
as a 2 seater

1661401533245.png

As a 4 seater

Even worse in the fog. Best color for that is yellow. That's why they make fog lights that color.

Fog lights are yellow because that colour travels farther with less scattering in the fog for better visibility due to the relative wavelength of the light compared to the size of water droplets, much as red light travels better at sunset cutting through the thicker atmosphere when the sun is low.

Forum List

Back