Why so little serious debate?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Xelor, Feb 9, 2017.

1. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,247
    Your a thousand posts in and suddenly this strikes you? :lol:

2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    I'm not keen to rush to judgement. The quantity of posts I've made has no bearing on the amount of time it takes me to observe the nature of others' posts and explore the forum looking for the type of high quality content I would most like to see.

You'll note that there are some 16.5M messages posted on the forum. I dare say it's even somewhat premature after my casual browsing of the various subforums to arrive at the conclusion I've posited in the OP of this thread.

3. Bleipriester

Bleipriester Freedom!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Good point. Over that they have forgotten their common interests and the other party is the enemy of America. I think, both have turned into enemies of America, an upper bourgeoisie that works because enough yields for the ragtag.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,775
    USMB is kind of like a town. We have the commons, where we play softball or soccer, we have the bars and churches, we have our ghettos and trailer parks and portapotty parks and we have our libraries and universities. For the sort of discussion you desire, I really would recommend the Clean Debate Zone.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,247
    I liked my airline analogy better.

Exits in front, on the side and rear. No lines at the restrooms. Keep your seat belts on unless the light is out. No one has any idea where your luggage is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bleipriester

Bleipriester Freedom!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Where are the trailer park girls, then? Only those hyper-christian fun-banning coffee-nondrinkers who get their ecstasy during the TV-prayer and wear chest and waistband armor?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    Why not try and actually start one of these 'serious threads' and find out?

Until then, you're not going to fare any better under this handle than you did as 320YearsOfFantasyHistory.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. monkrules

monkrules Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Every website seems to take on the personality of its owners and the majority of its members. I lurked this board for six months before deciding to become a member. When I joined, it was because I felt this place is pretty free-wheeling and relatively lightly moderated. Most importantly, to me, members are given a lot of freedom with which to express their opinions about virtually anything.

And that’s exactly what I was looking for: light moderation, humor, opinions, snark, and fun. I find ‘serious’ debate Boring (yes, the capital B was intended). Pages and pages of stilted language by pompous posters trying to convince other members that they are some kind of special expert on Life, the Universe, and Everything, are the last thing I want to see. I’ve been in forums like that, and it’s often impossible to find the breath of life, or even a fucking pulse. I like this place much better, just the way it is. I’m here to have fun. That’s it. Not to be ‘educated’ by some egghead who thinks what he has to say should be heard and accepted by every other person on the planet.

There are plenty of ‘scholarly’ forums on the internet, I’m sure. And if one needs, or wants, to find genuine experts on any given subject it probably wouldn’t be too hard to do. So why would people waste their time debating “wannabe” experts on a general forum such as USMB? As another member mentioned, there is a Clean Debate Zone, if all you’re interested in is serious discussion. I don’t know what the CDZ is like because I’ve never visited it. As I said, serious debates are the last thing I’m interested in. I’m here for fun. That’s it.

The Clean Debate Zone lists 2,811 discussions, while the Current Events and Politics forums list 71,890, and 162,446 discussions, respectively. So I’d say I’m certainly not the only member who finds ‘scholarly’ and ‘serious’ debates too boring for words. Most members seem to be here for entertainment, not to be ‘educated’ by self-proclaimed Experts on Everything.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  9. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,534
    The Left lost their minds when Trump won. They can only flame in every post.

Watching the Emmys was proof.

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,934
    I used to do all of these things, but I've given up on that for the most part. It's just a waste of time in a venue like this.

• Informative Informative x 1