Posters flooding Politics with multiple threads on same topic

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by tinydancer, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,301
    Sheesh. I think I just reported four on the bloody Nordstrom deal. This is a flagrant violation not just of the rules but of common decent board etiquette.

Is there any way to control this flooding? I hate reporting but if that's what it takes I'll go for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    Does the scroller on your screen not work? Is it really that hard to scroll past the thread or click on the link to the second page of the sub-forum that interests you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,609
    Nothing bad will happen if you report it--they'll just merge them into the already existing thread.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,301
    With all due respect it is against forum rules. This rule from the years I've been a boarder is to prevent flooding. Purposefully or accidentally.

It is important to note that it's proper board etiquette. I try never to duplicate but sometimes it happens but I've always asked for a merge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,813
    Please report it - and provide links if you can, it makes it easier for us to catch them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,301
    I just always feel guilty. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    I just reviewed the Politics sub-forum rules recently. I didn't see any rule about "flooding." The general forum guidelines ask, "Please first check and confirm that there are not Current Threads, on the Same Topic, This will Avoid Merges." That doesn't read like an express prohibition to me.

It's obvious to me that the moderators aren't too concerned about flooding:
    • ISIS threads -- Surely some of them aim to discuss duplicate themes re: ISIS.
    • Trump threads -- Surely you don't think they are each unique in theme and content?
    • NAFTA threads -- I suspect quite a few of these could all be merged.
    • "The Wall" threads -- Here again, there is surely merging that is called for.
    You don't care to see the Nordstrom threads. Fine. But what about the people who don't think there should be multiple pages worth of the threads noted above. Did you post complaints here in the announcements section of the forum complaining about their prevalence too?

Interestingly, I see only one Nordstrom thread.

8. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,301
    Will do Coyote. Thanks.

9. tinydancer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,301
    To keep a board top notch the last thing you want is flooding. Whether intentional or not. This is why you don't want multiple threads on <fill in the blank/ bipartisan rant> taking up the front page on Politics.

It's also common courtesy to other posters who have started a thread not to duplicate theirs and instead join in their discussion.

I rarely complain. Not in my nature. Today I was venting. But when any topic gets out of hand with a quizzillion threads sometimes I do take time to report them.

This assists the moderators on boards. Just got clarification from Coyote on that.

I mainly zero in on topics that are completely unsuitable for a certain forum. It shows laziness on the part of the OP and pisses me clean off.

That's when my index finger hits that report button in world record freaking time.

:lol:

10. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,609
    The other day I started a thread (must have REALLY been important--can't remember what it was about lol) and I did a search on terms I thought were relevant and got no hits. I read the first page of the political and current events forums and there was nothing on the subject. So I opened my thread and within minutes, a thread on the topic had resurfaced from the day before. Don't know why it didn't come up in my search--maybe I'm not searching the right way?
    What IS the best way to search for threads on current topics?