Why should we listen to Benedict Cumberbatch on Syrian refugees?

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Because I just donā€™t know what to think about the Syrian refugee crisis ā€” not even after Simon Schamaā€™s powerfully cogent argument onQuestion Time the other week, where he explained that if you donā€™t want to house them all in your guest bedroom youā€™re basically a Nazi ā€” I thought I might pay the scalps a couple of hundred quid or so to see Benedict Cumberbatch as Hamlet at the Barbican.

Apparently the really exciting bit isnā€™t anything he does as the Dane but rather Shakespeareā€™s rarely performed postscript where Hamlet comes back to life in the terrifying form of a preening, hectoring Old Harrovian luvvie to berate the groundlings for their uncaringness. ā€˜A pox on the politicians!ā€™ this apparition is wont to declare, more frightful than anything glimpsed earlier on the battlements of Elsinore. And even if you didnā€™t have a strong view before on those Syrians, you will by the time the collection bucket is rattled menacingly beneath your nose. Simply seeing Cumberbatch, all quavery and exquisitely modulated and indignant, is enough to dispense any doubt. As Homer Simpson almost once said: ā€˜Luvvies. Is there anything they donā€™t know?ā€™

Well I can answer that. No there isnā€™t. Iā€™ve learned from the newspapers, from the TV and social media that thereā€™s not a single problem in the world, great or small, for which the luvvies donā€™t have the definitive answer.

Why should we listen to Benedict Cumberbatch on Syrian refugees?

Forum List

Back