Why Ryan Might Be Right

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Why Ryan Might Be Right | RealClearPolitics

Overlooked in the furor surrounding Paul Ryan's Medicare proposal -- a plan, it should be recalled, that wouldn't start until 2023 and even then would affect only new beneficiaries -- is a just-published study in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) suggesting that, well, Ryan might be right. The study finds that a voucher-type system might noticeably reduce costs compared to "traditional" fee-for-service Medicare. Three Harvard economists did the study, including one prominent supporter of President Obama's health care overhaul.

The study compared the costs of traditional Medicare with Medicare Advantage, a voucher-like program that now enrolls about 25 percent of beneficiaries. Medicare Advantage has cost less for identical coverage. From 2006 to 2009, the gap averaged 11 percent between traditional Medicare and voucher plans that, under the proposal by Ryan and Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., would serve as a price "benchmark."

The central issue here is whether the runaway costs of the health sector, comprising nearly one-fifth of the economy, can be controlled without eroding medical quality. Almost everyone agrees that the delivery system -- the amalgam of hospitals, clinics, doctors and nurses -- should be reorganized to lower costs and eliminate unneeded care. The question is how.

Overlooked in the furor surrounding Paul Ryan's Medicare proposal -- a plan, it should be recalled, that wouldn't start until 2023 and even then would affect only new beneficiaries -- is a just-published study in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) suggesting that, well, Ryan might be right. The study finds that a voucher-type system might noticeably reduce costs compared to "traditional" fee-for-service Medicare. Three Harvard economists did the study, including one prominent supporter of President Obama's health care overhaul.

The study compared the costs of traditional Medicare with Medicare Advantage, a voucher-like program that now enrolls about 25 percent of beneficiaries. Medicare Advantage has cost less for identical coverage. From 2006 to 2009, the gap averaged 11 percent between traditional Medicare and voucher plans that, under the proposal by Ryan and Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., would serve as a price "benchmark."

The central issue here is whether the runaway costs of the health sector, comprising nearly one-fifth of the economy, can be controlled without eroding medical quality. Almost everyone agrees that the delivery system -- the amalgam of hospitals, clinics, doctors and nurses -- should be reorganized to lower costs and eliminate unneeded care. The question is how.

Less? Really?

Another factor that will be on the table.......

when Romney is elected - tort reform.

That alone will decrease costs by a bunch. And that's something the Pubs have long advocated.

We could always go with Obama plan to save Medicare.

teehee_8x10.jpg

Another factor that will be on the table.......

when Romney is elected - tort reform.

That alone will decrease costs by a bunch. And that's something the Pubs have long advocated.

I would like to see tort reform, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Tens of Thousands of trial lawyers make very good livings by filing suits for damages. Most of our elected representatives are lawyers, and they are very good at protecting their interests.

Obama and his drones claim that the rest of Medicare is cheaper than Medicare Advantage. That's supposedly why they eliminated it - apart from sucking up the funds to pay for Obamacare, that is.

The medicare voucher's will take care of those with out illness and just need their scripts filled.
Unfortunately when you get diagnosed with a illness like cancer as I did this last Christmas.
With the many tests, surgeries, chemotherapy ( almost $1000.00 each time I go in )
Heart tests, and an upcoming major surgery at the end of Sept.
Total costs around $100.000.00 so far
Vouchers are $6.000

I see the hospital packed with people coming in for chemo everyday.
This voucher system will not work, unless if you are rich of coarse.

Because he uses his brain?:)

Sean Hannity just concluded a 45 minute personal interview with Paul Ryan, and I learned much about the plans of R&R and Ryan himself. Their goals are very impressive, if one wants to see America turned back to it's core values and not go into bankruptcy.

What a breath of fresh air, this Ryan is, and very believable.

Hannity repeats at 9:00 pm PT. I have to watch it again. :clap2:

OP: reduces WHO'S costs? And screws WHO?

Romneycare proves O-care will reduce ALL COSTS, patients AND Gov't, will save our health system. It HAS TORT REFORM, guidelines for care that make the system less vulnerable. And more to come.

Since the highlighted part is untrue the so called study is worthless. Which is always obvious when they claim some unnamed Obama supporter is involved in the study to validate it rather than giving any details about the study.

The real fact is Medicare Advantage costs an average of 14% more than the Fee For Service plan of traditional Medicare.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...PD07nn&sig=AHIEtbQlig1xzl50AA9asLI79SvTJNaCUw

Medicare Advantage plans are currently paid more, on
average, than FFS costs in their area. According to MedPAC,
payments to Medicare Advantage plans per enrollee in 2009
will average 114% of FFS costs for the counties where
Medicare Advantage enrollees reside
(Figure 3).

Last edited:
Because he uses his brain?:)

Sean Hannity just concluded a 45 minute personal interview with Paul Ryan, and I learned much about the plans of R&R and Ryan himself. Their goals are very impressive, if one wants to see America turned back to it's core values and not go into bankruptcy.

What a breath of fresh air, this Ryan is, and very believable.

Hannity repeats at 9:00 pm PT. I have to watch it again. :clap2:

Try Maddow and learn something beside happy Pubcrappe LOL

Overlooked in the furor surrounding Paul Ryan's Medicare proposal -- a plan, it should be recalled, that wouldn't start until 2023 and even then would affect only new beneficiaries --
It should be recalled that this is not true!!! Lyin' Ryan's plan costs those already on Medicare more money IMMEDIATELY upon passage, not 2023!!! Seniors will suddenly have to pay for the donut hole and co-pays for preventative care out of their own pockets the instant ACA is repealed by Lyin' Ryan's plan.

Overlooked in the furor surrounding Paul Ryan's Medicare proposal -- a plan, it should be recalled, that wouldn't start until 2023 and even then would affect only new beneficiaries --
It should be recalled that this is not true!!! Lyin' Ryan's plan costs those already on Medicare more money IMMEDIATELY upon passage, not 2023!!! Seniors will suddenly have to pay for the donut hole and co-pays for preventative care out of their own pockets the instant ACA is repealed by Lyin' Ryan's plan.

So lying about the plan is your method of attacking him? Im shocked!

There is no lie in my post. If there was you would have highlighted it.

Lyin' Ryan's plan repeals the ACA which is paying the donut hole and the co-pays for preventative care as we post. Once Lyin' Ryan's plan repeals the ACA those costs immediately become the responsibility of seniors already on Medicare again. Do you deny that the Lyin' Ryan plan repeals the ACA????

There is no lie in my post. If there was you would have highlighted it.

Lyin' Ryan's plan repeals the ACA which is paying the donut hole and the co-pays for preventative care as we post. Once Lyin' Ryan's plan repeals the ACA those costs immediately become the responsibility of seniors already on Medicare again. Do you deny that the Lyin' Ryan plan repeals the ACA????

You think i would have highlighted the entire post? What would be the point in doing that? You know that medicare for current recipients isnt affected, yet you continue to claim otherwise. That's just messed up.

Of course Obamacare is repealed. Thats what we want to happen. We want good service, not crappy service. We want people to live. Not let government interference increase our odds of dying sooner.

Except for one thing.......

I remember the Pubs were trying to get tort reform added as an amendment to Obamacare and getting knocked down.

I could be wrong but I believe it's the Dems who get the MOST money from the ABA.

So I do believe there's a better chance with the Pubs AND with Romney and Ryan, neither of whom are lawyers.

Forum List

Back