Why Obama is wrong when he says business needs the government

According to George Washington:

In 1791, Congress imposed an excise tax on distilled spirits, which led to protests in frontier districts, especially Pennsylvania. By 1794, after Washington ordered the protesters to appear in U.S. district court, the protests turned into full-scale defiance of federal authority known as the Whiskey Rebellion. The federal army was too small to be used, so Washington invoked the Militia Act of 1792 to summon militias from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.[112] The governors sent the troops and Washington took command, marching into the rebellious districts. The rebels dispersed and there was no fighting, as Washington's forceful action proved the new government could protect itself. These events marked the first time under the new constitution that the federal government used strong military force to exert authority over the states and citizens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington#Presidency_.281789.E2.80.931797.29

Even Washington believed that business was under the control of the US govt.

Last edited:
Obama doesn't know what a business it, what it does, or why it exist. Government is not an enity, it is people who vote, pay taxes and it should do what we say, not what the POTUS says is right. If the government took over the beer industry a 6 pack would cost $50 and requrie 50 people to make it all with better benefits than the people who pay the taxes that pay their wage.

I would love to see the business climate if government didn't enforce physical or intellectual property rights.

Rightwing nirvana!

The government doesn't enforce those rights. They determine who has them and what damages are due through litigation brought by businesspersons.

So when someone breaks into a store and steals physical property, the people you call to reclaim your merchandise and catch the thief, the ones carrying guns and tasers, aren't government employees?

I'm not sure which country you live in, but here in the United States the police are government employees funded by tax dollars. YRMV.

Tax dollars that are already paid in greater percentage by businesses. My city and my county take a percentage of my profits in direct tax every year as well being required to pay each of them personal property taxes on every shelf and piece of equipment I own, even down to a stapler. And that doesn't count the property taxes on the building that my landlord pays.

For all you small government types.

There are actual countries around the world with small limited governments.

Irtokte Gun market in Mogadishu, Somalia - YouTube

Somalia Travel Guide - VirtualTourist

That's one.

There is nothing limited about the government in Somalia.

Sure it is.

It's practically non-existent.

I mean..what do you think you are talking about..when you say "small limited government".

In the modern real world..that sort of government is generally ineffective.

In 1791, Congress imposed an excise tax on distilled spirits, which led to protests in frontier districts, especially Pennsylvania. By 1794, after Washington ordered the protesters to appear in U.S. district court, the protests turned into full-scale defiance of federal authority known as the Whiskey Rebellion. The federal army was too small to be used, so Washington invoked the Militia Act of 1792 to summon militias from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.[112] The governors sent the troops and Washington took command, marching into the rebellious districts. The rebels dispersed and there was no fighting, as Washington's forceful action proved the new government could protect itself. These events marked the first time under the new constitution that the federal government used strong military force to exert authority over the states and citizens
George Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is the real reasoning behind the second amendment.

:clap2:

George Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Whiskey Rebellion. Their arguments about taxation were ruled idiotic because they had representation. Like the nut job Tea Party Imbeciles screaming about representation. Washington would tell them to disperse or take a bullet. :badgrin:

History is full of examples of the government taking on projects that are huge because they believe they wouldn't happen otherwise. History is also full of examples of projects that businesses took on because they were needed. My favorite example of the latter is one of Obama's talking points when he claims that the government is indispensable.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge...
Turns out that the government actually did everything it could to stop the Golden Gate bridge, and that, ultimately, it was built because of one man.

A second problem in 1929 when the US Stock Market collapsed made for more problems. The Golden Gate committee now has trouble issuing the bond needed for the construction of the bridge, even though the citizens of the surrounding area had put up their own personal lands and farms as collateral. It takes 3 more years and the wealthy President and founder of Bank of America, A.P. Giannini, to personally buy the 35 million dollar bond which he then finances through the bank. Without the bank and the intervention of private industry fueled by personal wealth, again the bridge would not have been built. By 1937 the bridge is completed—and Strauss delivers the bridge 1.7 million UNDER budget, using local non-union labor and private contractors.
www.thomas-purcell.com: Obama's Golden Gate Sized Error

Want to know what else got built without the government?

250px-Statue_of_Liberty_7.jpg

I'm interested, what else?

I posted a picture.

Quasi-dope gets it wrong yet again.
History is full of examples of ...

History is full of examples of people like Quasi-doe-doe misrepresenting things or being gullible enough to put forth myth, lie, deceit as fact. Take this thread OP for an example. A thread linked to a post on a -- gulp -- goofy blog, which itself is a ripoff of a -- you guessed it , FOX News liability...

here is what the President really said:

OBAMA: [L]ook, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That's how we funded the GI Bill. That's how we created the middle class. That's how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That's how we invented the Internet. That's how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that's the reason I'm running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You're not on your own, we're in this together.

the above disservice brought to you by FOX and Friends: Fox & Friends Deceptively Edits Obama's Comments On Small Business

I quoted from the White House transcript of his speech, if I they got it wrong it has nothing to do with Fox.

For all you small government types.

There are actual countries around the world with small limited governments.

Irtokte Gun market in Mogadishu, Somalia - YouTube

Somalia Travel Guide - VirtualTourist

That's one.

Sure it is.

I mean..what do you think you are talking about..when you say "small limited government".

The government of Somalia can send federal troops into any city in Somalia to destroy it, there is nothing limited about it. Your problem is you have no idea what a limited government is. One hint, limited does not mean small.

Why does Quantum Windbag hate the people who are sworn to defend and protect America?

History is full of examples of people like Quasi-doe-doe misrepresenting things or being gullible enough to put forth myth, lie, deceit as fact. Take this thread OP for an example. A thread linked to a post on a -- gulp -- goofy blog, which itself is a ripoff of a -- you guessed it , FOX News liability...

OBAMA: [L]ook, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That's how we funded the GI Bill. That's how we created the middle class. That's how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That's how we invented the Internet. That's how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that's the reason I'm running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You're not on your own, we're in this together.

the above disservice brought to you by FOX and Friends: Fox & Friends Deceptively Edits Obama's Comments On Small Business

I quoted from the White House transcript of his speech, if I they got it wrong it has nothing to do with Fox.

You quoted from FOX or the White House speech?

What did you quote? Something fully out of context? You tried implying the President was talking about what government does better than individuals.

And The Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District, authorized by an act of the California Legislature, was incorporated in 1928 as the official entity to design, construct, and finance the Golden Gate Bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge was financed with Municipal Bonds. It was not a private project. The War Department fought it because of national security.

Why do you, Quantum Windbag, hate the people who are sworn to defend and protect America?

----

Sure it is.

The government of Somalia can send federal troops into any city in Somalia to destroy it, there is nothing limited about it. Your problem is you have no idea what a limited government is. One hint, limited does not mean small.

FEDERAL TROOPS? WHAT FEDERAL TROOPS?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In any case..the Constitution provides that same sort of power to the Federal government in this country.

The MAIN reason Obama is wrong...........

What he fails to realize is that the "government" IS the people.

So when the Tea Party Imbeciles say they hate the US Government, what they are really saying is they hate the American people?

:thewave:

welcome to reality.

we have a wingnut detox center that will help you out -- free -- the people fund it -- the people fund it through their government

Why does Quantum Windbag hate the people who are sworn to defend and protect America?

What did you quote? Something fully out of context? You tried implying the President was talking about what government does better than individuals.

And The Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District, authorized by an act of the California Legislature, was incorporated in 1928 as the official entity to design, construct, and finance the Golden Gate Bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge was financed with Municipal Bonds. It was not a private project. The War Department fought it because of national security.

Why do you, Quantum Windbag, hate the people who are sworn to defend and protect America?

----

Apparently you cannot read, here is my link. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet you it isn't Fox.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Sure it is.

In any case..the Constitution provides that same sort of power to the Federal government in this country.

Actually, it doesn't. Even if it did, it would be illegal, and every member of the military knows it.

----

Apparently you cannot read, here is my link. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet you it isn't Fox.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

So you quoted from the White House speech. You quoted something fully out of context. You tried implying the President was talking about what government does better than individuals, rather than what the President was actually speaking about -- individuals and American greatness.

okay. thanks for admitting your thread is bullshit. :badgrin:

Last edited:
I've seen several posts bemoaning what Obama said about businesses.

I just haven't seen where he was, specifically, talking about government.

He merely said they didn't get there on their own.
They didn't.
Without a demand and a customer base there wouldn't have been a reason to start their business.

I've been wrong before.....ask my wife.
But I just don;t see where he was giving government the credit.

Are you trying to tell me that when he starts listing all those projects, like the Hoover Dam, the highways, and the railroads, and claims that they were not built by business, he wasn't trying to give government the credit? How, exactly, do you come to that conclusion?

Did you ever think that he was talking about public works? Sure...Public Works projects are commissioned by the government and paid for with OUR tax dollars, but the work is done by people....oft times by private contractors...who make(gasp) a profit in doing so. The rest of the country(state,locality) gets to use those public works.

only you guys with blinders on want to make it about Obama "bashing business"

Actually, it doesn't. Even if it did, it would be illegal, and every member of the military knows it.

:lol:

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

The shit you guys DON'T know about a document you profess to love so much..is amazing.

I've seen several posts bemoaning what Obama said about businesses.

I just haven't seen where he was, specifically, talking about government.

He merely said they didn't get there on their own.
They didn't.
Without a demand and a customer base there wouldn't have been a reason to start their business.

I've been wrong before.....ask my wife.
But I just don;t see where he was giving government the credit.

Are you trying to tell me that when he starts listing all those projects, like the Hoover Dam, the highways, and the railroads, and claims that they were not built by business, he wasn't trying to give government the credit? How, exactly, do you come to that conclusion?

Did you ever think that...

therein lies your problem. You keep expecting the Quantessa to think. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back