Why no black female country music performers?

Has there ever been such a person? Some people would say that country music is a "racist" institution and that a black female would never make it in that business.

But remember Charlie Pride? I don't recall ever hearing any white person denigrating him because he was black. And he was a country music artist.

What gives? Is someone missing an opportunity here? In this age of politically-correct selective-ethnicity and selective-gender, would I become famous if I passed myself off as a black female and became a country music performer?

So many questions, so little time.
Black people don't listen to country music, that's why none of them are country stars.

Has there ever been such a person? Some people would say that country music is a "racist" institution and that a black female would never make it in that business.

But remember Charlie Pride? I don't recall ever hearing any white person denigrating him because he was black. And he was a country music artist.

What gives? Is someone missing an opportunity here? In this age of politically-correct selective-ethnicity and selective-gender, would I become famous if I passed myself off as a black female and became a country music performer?

Maybe none want to be. I'm sure if a black female wanted to be one, they would be due to media coverage and outrage.....

Black people don't listen to country music, that's why none of them are country stars.
You've never met any black truckers then... I've known many blacks who listen to, and enjoy country music. Met more than a couple "country", "redneck" blacks as well. Hunted with more than a few...

You've never met any black truckers then... I've known many blacks who listen to, and enjoy country music. Met more than a couple "country", "redneck" blacks as well. Hunted with more than a few...
As a general rule they don't. Ok, a few do, but not enough to justify a label putting up a ton of dough to make a black country star happen.

As a general rule they don't. Ok, a few do, but not enough to justify a label putting up a ton of dough to make a black country star happen.
If the music strikes a chord with the audience; people will listen to it.

Some do. In fact, my 85 year old mother collected and listened to some the C&W songs recorded by none other than
Ray Charles.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ray+charles+country+western&tag=ff0d01-20

Some do. In fact, my 85 year old mother collected and listened to some the C&W songs recorded by none other than
Ray Charles.

Amazon.com: ray charles country western
Maybe it's also because you have to be hot to be a country star?

Ray Charles.

There is probably something to that...

Ray Charles.

Says who?

I feel the reason more leans to the fact that black people as a whole, are segregational in nature. In other words, the biggest part of racism in this country, is exhibited among black people, not white people.

You may think that to be "funny" but coming from one as uninitiated and uninformed as yourself, it would be expected of you.

I don't think Charley Pride chose to play in the Negro leagues because he was the one who didn't want to allow himself to play in the Majors. Remind me what color the people that voted for segregation laws were?

maybe because country music sucks?

The discussion is not whether you like country music or not. It's a question as to why there are so few black female country artists.

Now I will give you my assessment: It's not because the people who enjoy country music, predominantly white as they may be, are "racist".

I feel the reason more leans to the fact that black people as a whole, are segregational in nature. In other words, the biggest part of racism in this country, is exhibited among black people, not white people.

You may think that to be "funny" but coming from one as uninitiated and uninformed as yourself, it would be expected of you.

Actually as one who is old enough to recall segregation, I cant seem to recall any black governors or lawmakers on television during the 60's repeating George Wallaces famous words:

"Segregation now! Segregation forever!"

I also dont recall any black national guardsmen or police officers beating white anti segregationist protestors with batons and spraying them with firehoses.

I also dont recall any white churches being bombed by "black segregationists"

Did I miss something?

Ray Charles.

Says who?
Ok then, name 5 ugly country stars.

Ray Charles.

Says who?
Ok then, name 5 ugly country stars.
You won't find any. The music business is about selling a product...it's not about making good music.

To find great musicians look locally.

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Maybe no black women want to sing country music

I think probably the reason there are very few male black country singers, and zero female black country singers is because of the bias of the audience involved.
Perhaps in the past....not now. I would hope the OP isn't saying that artists are being segregated from country music. Each artist is drawn to what they like and are good at. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Almost no white rappers either. Maybe because I FUCKING HATE RAP!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back