Why no black female country music performers?

Let me reword that, there are no FAMOUS female black country western singers because of the audience involved.

Why is it the fault of the audience because black females can't sing country music?

Who says they can't?

Of course, audience bias is only one possible cause. Rather than bias, it may have to do more with audience demographics; if there aren't that many black country fans (and I have no idea if there are or not) that would make it less likely to find black country musicians.

Are there many non-white country artists in general?

I see this as similar to heavy metal, particularly the more extreme varieties. The audience tends to be mostly white, so the artists tend to be mostly white. There's no reason black, hispanic, Asian, Native American, or any other race/ethnicity can't perform the music. However, I imagine most musicians would play music they are a fan of, rather than trying to get into a genre they don't care for.

It's unfortunate, as music is something that I think should be "color-blind." Race and ethnicity have nothing to do with whether someone can enjoy music.

Apparently, there has been at least one female black country singer to get some popularity in recent years, Mickey Guyton. Mickey Guyton and the trailblazing black women of country music

Nice.

I think the stigma lies in the fact that most black people have been programmed to believe that hillbilly music is "racist."

Yet how many songs done by black rappers includes a TERM they call racists yet justify as not being racist because blacks used that TERM?

Has there ever been such a person? Some people would say that country music is a "racist" institution and that a black female would never make it in that business.

But remember Charlie Pride? I don't recall ever hearing any white person denigrating him because he was black. And he was a country music artist.

What gives? Is someone missing an opportunity here? In this age of politically-correct selective-ethnicity and selective-gender, would I become famous if I passed myself off as a black female and became a country music performer?

So many questions, so little time.
They don't need country music artists. They got Billie Holiday and Aretha Franklin and etc. etc.

That's blues and R&B. If the country music industry "doesn't need" black artists, especially female, why was Charley Pride as popular as he was?
Blues and soul were the blacks' music, and country western is what the white folks came up with. Both talk about daily life, the pain, the small victories. I don't see what your question is actually about. Why do whites and blacks HAVE to cross over into each other's music to make you happy?

A statement like that show the subliminal racism that's been ingrained in your psyche. Are you suggesting artistic segregation? Where you you think Appalachian music and Bluegrass got its soul from? Have you even listened to any bluegrass or truly soulful Appalachian music?
Listen carefully. I didn't say blacks shouldn't or couldn't be country music stars. I said they AREN'T and in my whole life I have never once considered it an issue. Why should they be if they don't want to?

And I love bluegrass. Real bluegrass. All strings. No drums or electric guitars.

Let me reword that, there are no FAMOUS female black country western singers because of the audience involved.

Why is it the fault of the audience because black females can't sing country music?

Who says they can't?

Of course, audience bias is only one possible cause. Rather than bias, it may have to do more with audience demographics; if there aren't that many black country fans (and I have no idea if there are or not) that would make it less likely to find black country musicians.

I see this as similar to heavy metal, particularly the more extreme varieties. The audience tends to be mostly white, so the artists tend to be mostly white. There's no reason black, hispanic, Asian, Native American, or any other race/ethnicity can't perform the music. However, I imagine most musicians would play music they are a fan of, rather than trying to get into a genre they don't care for.

It's unfortunate, as music is something that I think should be "color-blind." Race and ethnicity have nothing to do with whether someone can enjoy music.

Apparently, there has been at least one female black country singer to get some popularity in recent years, Mickey Guyton. Mickey Guyton and the trailblazing black women of country music

Nice.

I think the stigma lies in the fact that most black people have been programmed to believe that hillbilly music is "racist."

Yet how many songs done by black rappers includes a TERM they call racists yet justify as not being racist because blacks used that TERM?

The "N" word. As long as they keep voting for Democrats, keep calling each other the "N" word, and keep murdering each other over little nothings, they'll continue to be the "N" word.

Who says they can't?

Nice.

The "N" word. As long as they keep voting for Democrats, keep calling each other the "N" word, and keep murdering each other over little nothings, they'll continue to be the "N" word.

When they act like it, why do they get made when people call them that? I'm sorry, except when their own call them that.

Who says they can't?

Nice.

When they act like it, why do they get made when people call them that? I'm sorry, except when their own call them that.

The old "liberal double standard". it's ok for me but not for you.

Who says they can't?

Nice.

Had one of those double standard leftists argue context as an excuse earlier today. Interesting how they emphasize a TERM is racist then argue from a standpoint of anything but the TERM.

Nice.

Had one of those double standard leftists argue context as an excuse earlier today. Interesting how they emphasize a TERM is racist then argue from a standpoint of anything but the TERM.

Leftists have nothing to substantiate their arguments, other than "You're a racist/bigot/homophobe/misogynist/hater/insert favorite slur here"

Who says they can't?

Where are all the black folks listening to country music in order to entice more black country singers?

I don't like country myself, so I completely understand anyone not wanting to listen to it. :lol:

I guess if you close your eyes there aren't black country singers. I mean the Pointer Sisters won a fucking grammy for a country song. Vicky Vann I believe also has one for country group. Mickey Guyton would be one. Tina Turner did country for a bit, when she split with Ike her first album had covers of Dolly Parton, Hank Snow, and Kris Kristofferson... She made a 2nd country album as well. Yolanda Diamond. Miko Marks...

Who says they can't?

Nice.

That certainly might play a part, although I wouldn't describe it that way.

Again, I wonder how much representation there is in country of other minorities, as musicians or fans.

I guess if you close your eyes there aren't black country singers. I mean the Pointer Sisters won a fucking grammy for a country song. Vicky Vann I believe also has one for country group. Mickey Guyton would be one. Tina Turner did country for a bit, when she split with Ike her first album had covers of Dolly Parton, Hank Snow, and Kris Kristofferson... She made a 2nd country album as well. Yolanda Diamond. Miko Marks...

There have certainly been some instances, but having a popular black, female country artist seems to be an outlier. :dunno:

Who says they can't?

Nice.

That certainly might play a part, although I wouldn't describe it that way.

Again, I wonder how much representation there is in country of other minorities, as musicians or fans.

From what I hear, the Japanese have a large number of country music lovers. I haven't looked on Youtube but I would be willing to guess there are some pretty hardcore Japanese country bands.

There have certainly been some instances, but having a popular black, female country artist seems to be an outlier. :dunno:

That's true. I mean a couple of grammy winners isn't exactly nothing, but not a strong showing. But likewise there aren't a lot of white soul singers I can think of.

If I had to guess I would say it comes down to social structure of the time. Country Music grew up in the South among the white class. The only thing lower there than being black then would be being a black woman. I mean Charley Pride didn't start in the South. He was a baseball player who started singing during minor league games he'd play in up in Montana. I mean this isn't lifetimes ago. Charlie Pride is still alive and went into negro league baseball to get out of the cotton fields.

Elvis was obviously in a much better off social structure, but even him taking black gospel was considered taboo by a lot of people.

Has there ever been such a person? Some people would say that country music is a "racist" institution and that a black female would never make it in that business.

But remember Charlie Pride? I don't recall ever hearing any white person denigrating him because he was black. And he was a country music artist.

What gives? Is someone missing an opportunity here? In this age of politically-correct selective-ethnicity and selective-gender, would I become famous if I passed myself off as a black female and became a country music performer?

They don't need country music artists. They got Billie Holiday and Aretha Franklin and etc. etc.
"They"?... Lol... The best part is that you don't even see it...

That was not the question.

I think it's because you can't sing about ho's and bitches and murdering cops in country.

maybe because country music sucks?

I'd say rap sucks. You can't even understand half of what the criminal rapists are saying.

Forum List

Back