Why no black female country music performers?

Has there ever been such a person? Some people would say that country music is a "racist" institution and that a black female would never make it in that business.

But remember Charlie Pride? I don't recall ever hearing any white person denigrating him because he was black. And he was a country music artist.

What gives? Is someone missing an opportunity here? In this age of politically-correct selective-ethnicity and selective-gender, would I become famous if I passed myself off as a black female and became a country music performer?

So many questions, so little time.
They don't need country music artists. They got Billie Holiday and Aretha Franklin and etc. etc.
"They"?... Lol... The best part is that you don't even see it...
What do YOU use as a pronoun when discussing a subject which was NOT brought up by me, btw. I'm just trying to discuss it.

Has there ever been such a person? Some people would say that country music is a "racist" institution and that a black female would never make it in that business.

But remember Charlie Pride? I don't recall ever hearing any white person denigrating him because he was black. And he was a country music artist.

What gives? Is someone missing an opportunity here? In this age of politically-correct selective-ethnicity and selective-gender, would I become famous if I passed myself off as a black female and became a country music performer?

They don't need country music artists. They got Billie Holiday and Aretha Franklin and etc. etc.
That was not the question.
Yes, Mike, he brought up why there are no female black country western music stars.

No decent person listens to kuntry-fuck music..
Not even "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off?"
I like some country music.

I actually misread; thought we were just talking about blacks; didn't know they had to be female when I posted Darius Rucker. I'm not a fan, but I'm not a hater either. I think Darius does okay work even if I don't tend to listen to his songs.

Black women don't have the culture or desire or even the genetic predisposition to be country singers. It's as simple as that. There might be one that comes along and breaks the mold; but that's the truth.

Black people don't listen to country music, that's why none of them are country stars.

Some do. In fact, my 85 year old mother collected and listened to some the C&W songs recorded by none other than
Ray Charles.

Amazon.com: ray charles country western
Maybe it's also because you have to be hot to be a country star?

Says who?
Ok then, name 5 ugly country stars.

Truthfully, I can't name one. My musical preferences lean more towards traditional jazz and different types of blues.

Furthermore, what I believe is unattractive, may be attractive to you.

But, to answer your question as best I can, I think that Dolly Parton is very difficult to look at.

JMO

That's blues and R&B. If the country music industry "doesn't need" black artists, especially female, why was Charley Pride as popular as he was?
Charlie Pride just played here in Ireland, no need for past tense.

My bad. I didn't even know he was still around.[/

Neither did I.

I'd say rap sucks. You can't even understand half of what the criminal rapists are saying.

As a death metal fan, let me respond by saying that understanding the lyrics is not always that important. ;)
Then why even have lyrics

1. While not everyone may understand the lyrics from hearing them, some may.
2. Anyone is free to read the lyrics, after which it usually will be much easier to understand what is being said.
3. Vocals can be used as an instrument. Even without understanding the words, the vocals can add to the song.
4. Sometimes one might understand only parts of the lyrics, such as a chorus, and that can be enough.

I'd say rap sucks. You can't even understand half of what the criminal rapists are saying.

As a death metal fan, let me respond by saying that understanding the lyrics is not always that important. ;)

2. Anyone is free to read the lyrics, after which it usually will be much easier to understand what is being said.
3. Vocals can be used as an instrument. Even without understanding the words, the vocals can add to the song.
4. Sometimes one might understand only parts of the lyrics, such as a chorus, and that can be enough.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I okay with using the human voice as an instrument; however, songs with unintelligible lyrics drive me nuts unless its because the lyrics are not in English.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I okay with using the human voice as an instrument; however, songs with unintelligible lyrics drive me nuts unless its because the lyrics are not in English.

I usually prefer to have at least a few lyrics I can understand, but if I enjoy the song without the words, I don't worry about it. :D

If the song is particularly good, I'll probably look the lyrics up, though.

What about Darius Rucker?

He seems pretty effete. Would that count?

:biggrin:

what

what

Just a glance, let's one know that somebody's been spending some quality time in the woodshed...

Don't listen to this song if lyrics are important to you.

They saying something about "The old lady, old lady" or sumthin.

Actually, it's yodeling. I first heard this song back in the late 60's/early 70's, because my stepbrothers liked it, and I never knew the words or how to find the darn thing because I didn't know the title (was around 4 or 5 when I first heard the song), but I really liked it as well.

Never knew the name of the song until I heard it on an episode of Supernatural, and now I can listen to it any time I want.

Charlie Pride would call you an ignorant motherfucker...
Of the three African-Americans inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, only one is alive: Charley Pride. He charted 52 top-10 country songs, including 29 that reached number one. Pride is 82 years old and still performs. “I learned to maneuver around a lot of the obstacles that you encounter as a black man to be able to get to where I am today,” he says.

But do you know Rhiannon?...singer, songwriter, plays banjo, guitar and 'fiddle'...blues, bluegrass and folk...all of which are part of traditional country.

Another product of woodshed romance....

Forum List

Back