Why is the nations most republican state give the most to the poor

Utah does not give more to the poor

They contribute more to the Mormon Church

There was a study done on this several years ago. My theory on it is that the "red" states are more populated with conservatives who believe in private charity, be it donations to the church or individual organizations, whereas the "blue" states are more populated with leftists who feel the government should play a larger role in charity and thus do not feel the need to make as many personal donations.

Assuming that donating to your church is the same thing as donating to the poor is not true

Money you give to your church pays for the Pastors salary, church maintenance, heat and AC, insurance, new choir robes, a new church organ

It is not the same as giving to the poor

Do tithes really count as charity?

IMHO depends on what the tithes are used for, if they're used to care for the poor/unfortunate yes, if they're used for recruiting new worshipers/building new churches/etc.., (i.e. expanding the "tithe base") then no.

But if I'm not mistaken the LDS asks it's membership to give (at least) 10% of their income to charity above and beyond tithes....

IMHO depends on what the tithes are used for, if they're used to care for the poor/unfortunate yes, if they're used for recruiting new worshipers/building new churches/etc.., (i.e. expanding the "tithe base") then no.

But if I'm not mistaken the LDS asks it's membership to give (at least) 10% of their income to charity above and beyond tithes....
Nice

This is what a Tithing and Donation slip looks like.
Fast Offerings, and Humantarian aid, as well as perpetual education
go to the needy.
598798_628211787609_122802196_32143286_2040243999_n.jpg

For tax purposes, 100% of your tithe counts as charity

That does not equate to your entire tithe helping the poor

Let me give you a cheeseburger is not the same as let me read to you from the Book of Mormon

Forum List

Back