Why are you against same-sex marriage?

• For the Bible (or some other holy book) tells me so

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other reason (please state)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I'm not against ss marriage

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
Oh pshaw. Now you're going off the cliff. Do you have your helmet on?

You went off the cliff the minute you decided that marriage was all about sexual intercourse.

Do you deny that only a man and a woman can have sexual intercourse?

Irrelevant. The right to privacy renders immaterial sexual conduct in a personal relationship, and has no bearing on the legitimacy of that relationship:

The Nation’s laws and traditions in the past half century are most relevant here. They show an emerging awareness that liberty gives substantial protection to adult persons in deciding how to conduct their private lives in matters pertaining to sex. See County of Sacramento v. Lewis, 523 U.S. 833, 857. Pp. 6—12.

[This case] involve two adults who, with full and mutual consent, engaged in sexual practices common to a homosexual lifestyle. Petitioners’ right to liberty under the Due Process Clause gives them the full right to engage in private conduct without government intervention.

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

Something that slipped by everyone........

He said on "The View" it would be unwise for Congress to try to pass same-sex marriage.

So.....who's really against it???

All the states.

So why is Obama getting credit for being for it when he says it shouldn't be passed?

I guess when you're living in a dream world this argument is allowed to pass the smell test as well.

Last edited:
Something that slipped by everyone........

He said on "The View" it would be unwise for Congress to try to pass same-sex marriage.

So.....who's really against it???

All the states.

So why is Obama getting credit for being for it when he says it shouldn't be passed?

I guess when you're living in a dream world this argument is allowed to pass as well.

Because he is the first President of the United States who ever did so.

And it's not up to Congress to usurp the States decisions. IMO, it's up to SCOTUS.

The "reason" was equal protection under the Constitution for all Americans.

What was the reason for the 14th amendment and when was it passed?

Passed in 1868, as we have respected the Constitution since our inception, limiting the interpretation of amendments, and the original clauses, is not rational. Much has changed since 1868, but the foundation of liberty for all Americans set forth therein is eternal.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Nope. You can't take a law designed for one purpose and apply it to a minority cultural demand. That is unconstitutional. If you want to legalize same-sex marriage then do it, but don't twist and manipulate the US Constitution to do it. We're not gonna allow that.

All the states.

I guess when you're living in a dream world this argument is allowed to pass as well.

And it's not up to Congress to usurp the States decisions. IMO, it's up to SCOTUS.

He did, but he didn't.

Btw, Cheney supported it years ago.....but he didn't get any credit for it.

What was the reason for the 14th amendment and when was it passed?

Passed in 1868, as we have respected the Constitution since our inception, limiting the interpretation of amendments, and the original clauses, is not rational. Much has changed since 1868, but the foundation of liberty for all Americans set forth therein is eternal.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Nope. You can't take a law designed for one purpose and apply it to a minority cultural demand. That is unconstitutional. If you want to legalize same-sex marriage then do it, but don't twist and manipulate the US Constitution to do it. We're not gonna allow that.

Like Loving v Virginia?

He did, but he didn't.

When was Cheney president.

By the way; was he for it before he found out his daughter was gay?

The foundation of liberty has never been the methods one employs to enjoy sexual activity. Which is why we have so many laws limiting those methods.

He did, but he didn't.

Does ether point matter????

Not really. Each person's reasons are their own.

Gracious, don't get cranky. I thought we were having a conversation.

/pat-pat

I'm not being cranky Miss Smart-butt.

I'm just trying to get you out of the spin-room and into reality.

I have several reasons for supporting SSM. I also understand why some don't support it......and I'm not gonna go around calling them bigots, like some asshole (Obama), just because they don't agree with me.

The Constitution and its meaning exist only in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court, the final and ultimate authority.

/pat-pat

I have several reasons for supporting SSM. I also understand why some don't support it......and I'm not gonna go around calling them bigots, like some asshole (Obama), just because they don't agree with me.

I find that Starburst Jellybeans generally bring me back to earth. ;)

/pat-pat

I find that Starburst Jellybeans generally bring me back to earth. ;)

The square ones in the waxed paper wrappers really pump my nads.

The foundation of liberty has never been the methods one employs to enjoy sexual activity. Which is why we have so many laws limiting those methods.

Really? And you think that's why they want to get married?

Certainly! It's one of the primary reasons. Show me one gay couple that that does have sex. Just one. Without sex they aren't married, they are best friends. Now, if you are suggesting that best friends get married because they want certain benefits that accrue only to married couples, like getting on a superior insurance program, or accessing government benefits, that's not marriage. That's actually fraud.

Forum List

Back