Why is Prostitution Illegal???

STD checks for the prostitutes, also checks for the johns if the women won't use condoms. Perhaps sanitary working conditions as well?
They would for sure have to wear condoms, kind of like wearing a hard hat in a construction zone. They could have some sort of MSDS book!

I remember seeing a doco on tv about the Amsterdam police and prostitution there. This was a while ago. The cops weren't interested in busting the girls but in making sure they - and the establishment owners - adhered to heatlh and immigration regulations and no underage employees. I thought that was good policy. One place I never wanted to work was Vice, it was stupid, busting pros. But I thought those Amsterdam cops were doing good work. Health and safety and making sure no exploitation was going on. Sensible.

No doubt its a huge waste of time for the police.....among other things the police are wasting their time on.....

A buddy of mine said Amsterdam has a pretty good setup......
For one the chance of getting arrested does not stop them.
I worked at a Kmart from senior year of high school until I was twenty two that was located in the same area where the prostitutes hang out. The only thing that cut down on prositution was for the first two years I worked there this guy named Robert Yate Jr was killing prostitutes from that area. Once they caught him, it was game on!
The ladies I saw were probably at the lowest one can be and some of the men they would come in with, would scare any normal person.
They have a strip club in that same area with the same type of women working there but there is a manager, a bouncer, and other workers to watch out for them! It all is the facts of reality!

Prostitution is one step from slavery, and actually is slavery, in most cases.

That's why it should remain illegal.

And Amanda, if a 15 year old girl wants to be a stripper, it's a sign she's either going through a phase or has a problem. I wanted to join the circus at 15. Thank goodness I didn't.

I think its illegal because of a combo of a few things:
(1) And foremost, RELIGION! Religion is all about the family, against sex out of wedlock and sex for procreation rather than for pleasure. I think the reason countries like America make it illegal is primarily on religious grounds regardless of what they say about preventing disease.
(2) AIDS and other STDs: Although I think I can make a good argument that legalization would reduce the spread. The come thinking is that if you prevent prostitution, then the spread will decrease. I think its flawed logic, but too bad too many politicians don't think so.
(3) Exploitation of women: People see prostitution as exploiting women. To some extend its true, but I think women in illegal prostitution are more prone to be exploited than in legal prostitution.

It's illegal because it breeds crime. Period. Drug addicted whores are the ones most likely to be working on their own, and they are the most likely to spread disease.

Prostitution is one step from slavery, and actually is slavery, in most cases.

That's why it should remain illegal.

And Amanda, if a 15 year old girl wants to be a stripper, it's a sign she's either going through a phase or has a problem. I wanted to join the circus at 15. Thank goodness I didn't.
How is it a form of slavery? Those women are not being forced to being paid to have sex. Illegal prostitution breeds crime!
With it being illegal they can do it wherever they want. I think it is worse that you can see them trolling down the street, walking up to cars where your kids can see them than being in a brothel somewhere behind closed doors. Also when it is illegal, there is no age limit!

How many prostitutes have you known, Luissa? Most of them started out by being forced. They almost always have sexual abuse committed against them when they were very young, which warps their judgment and their egos. Only a tiny percentage willingly and happily stepped into that condition.

Besides which, in purchasing the services of a prostitute, you are renting a human body, to do whatever you want to it. And that is slavery. Prostitutes (in the US) are generally drug addicts for one of two reasons...they became addicted and then fell into prostitution as a way to pay for their habit...or they started using drugs to make prostitution more palatable.

In addition, prostitution lends itself to slavery in the most traditional way....men and woman control groups of women, rent or sell them, and make money of the proceeds. I have worked with a woman whose earliest memories are of her mother holding her down when she was about 3 years old while a man had sex with her. In return, her mother received money and drugs. At the age of 9 she was sold by her mother to an old man, and lived with him, completely hid from the world, for the next 7 years, until the man ended up in the hospital, and the hospital staff upon his death asked her who she was.

She had no identity, had never been to school, had no social security card. She had never been to a doctor, and at 16 all her teeth were gone. They had to conduct a long drawn out investigation to even figure out what her name was.

This was in the US, and it's not uncommon. We have slaves smuggled across our borders all the time, and forced into prostitution in this country. They're throw away people. They use them to smuggle drugs in (children who are smuggled across with bags of dope in their guts. YOUNG children.) then sell them into prostitution until they die or are killed.

We should never, ever support trafficking in human misery and death, and that's what prostitution is. Whether it's legal or illegal.

How many prostitutes have you known, Luissa? Most of them started out by being forced. They almost always have sexual abuse committed against them when they were very young, which warps their judgment and their egos. Only a tiny percentage willingly and happily stepped into that condition.

Besides which, in purchasing the services of a prostitute, you are renting a human body, to do whatever you want to it. And that is slavery. Prostitutes (in the US) are generally drug addicts for one of two reasons...they became addicted and then fell into prostitution as a way to pay for their habit...or they started using drugs to make prostitution more palatable.

In addition, prostitution lends itself to slavery in the most traditional way....men and woman control groups of women, rent or sell them, and make money of the proceeds. I have worked with a woman whose earliest memories are of her mother holding her down when she was about 3 years old while a man had sex with her. In return, her mother received money and drugs. At the age of 9 she was sold by her mother to an old man, and lived with him, completely hid from the world, for the next 7 years, until the man ended up in the hospital, and the hospital staff upon his death asked her who she was.

She had no identity, had never been to school, had no social security card. She had never been to a doctor, and at 16 all her teeth were gone. They had to conduct a long drawn out investigation to even figure out what her name was.

This was in the US, and it's not uncommon. We have slaves smuggled across our borders all the time, and forced into prostitution in this country. They're throw away people. They use them to smuggle drugs in (children who are smuggled across with bags of dope in their guts. YOUNG children.) then sell them into prostitution until they die or are killed.

We should never, ever support trafficking in human misery and death, and that's what prostitution is. Whether it's legal or illegal.
Their lifestyle might have forced them to choose prostitution but I would have to say a majority chose it to pay for their drug fix.
And giving the fact I used to see at least five a day, I would say I know a few.
We have a mile stretch here on sprague avenue where they work and I worked at the Kmart that was at the end of their mile for four years. The serial killer we had killing prostitutes would tie Kmart bags around their head and used to come through my line.
And as for them being molested as a child, what women hasn't been!

If you have regulations which you can when it is legal, it would for one cut down on the women being taken advantage of or killed. Being illegal is obviously not doing anything for problem now. Go to Vegas, they don't have to face the problems the prostitutes in other parts of the country have to face because they have to do it illegally!

How many prostitutes have you known, Luissa? Most of them started out by being forced. They almost always have sexual abuse committed against them when they were very young, which warps their judgment and their egos. Only a tiny percentage willingly and happily stepped into that condition..

Yet this is completely distinct from the actual act of prostitution, and could easily be remedied by other laws.

Besides which, in purchasing the services of a prostitute, you are renting a human body, to do whatever you want to it. And that is slavery.

That's just not accurate. Anything beyond what a prostitute agrees to physically is pure assault, on up the criminal code. "Slavery" is forced servitude. If you volunteer to do it and get paid, that's not slavery.

But again, these are all completely punishable acts under separate criminal laws: rape, child abuse, child neglect, and actual slavery.

Still, there are good arguments for keeping it illegal, like the spread of STD's, which we eventually all have to pay for because of socialized medicine.

I guess it can be made legal like in some counties in Nevada, I think it should be. I mean, two consenting adults deciding to do something should be between them and their morals, not mine or the government's.imho

Good grief, I give up.

Go ahead, legalize prostitution. That way nobody has to worry about the poor wretches.

I have absolutely no idea why prostitution is illegal eiher. I've actually had a huge, quite vitriolic debate on this in real life and in a situation a few years ago where the discussion was actually in an arena that had a major impact on public policy. One of the people in my organisation slightly senior to me was appalled when I suggested that prostitution should not be a crime. His tactic was to ask me, "would you want your daughter to be a prostitute"?

I gave up arguing with him because I realised I wanted to choke some fucking sense into him. :redface:

It should be regulated like any other business transaction.
Yes it should have some regulations, like you can't have brothel across the street from a school and so on.
Might cut down on wack jobs killing them! I was watching something today where some law enforcement guy of some sort said there is a serial killer in most major cities that target prostitutes.
Give them somewhere to do it legally!

Good point, the working girls (people?) should be entitled to work in safe conditions.

Why? Because the wives of the legislatures at the time of the voting on this tell their husbands, "If you vote for legalizing prostitution, you had better find a prostitute to comfort you because you won't be sleeping in this house ever again."

Thus the oldest profession remains the oldest crime. Well maybe not as old as Cain's murder of Abel, but damned close to it!

Immie

Why is this practice , which is older than time itself , Illegal in almost every State in this country???

Who's "Rights" are being violated if two consenting adults engage in sex , and one is paid for the service??
No ones! Everyone has choices, and if you want to pay or get paid that is your issue no one else.
What if the women is pregnant?
I watched Tyra today, not by choice and this girl works at the Bunny Ranch and is eight months pregnant. To top it off they had the most disturbing guy on there who traveled cross country to have sex with her. I wanted to take a shower after seeing him, I guess Dilio has a thing for pregnant chicks!

ah yes--flying the hump. :lol:

great--legal drugs and legal prostitution. How in the hell can a criminal make any money these days ?

It's probably illegal because money gets passed around without it being taxed and you can use it in court as grounds for divorce and make a bundle.

I'm sure you have a feeling how I feel about regulation by now...Lol.

How would you regulate it??

Do you mean...taxed...age limits...disease prevention..overtime...etc etc??

How do they regulate doctors, pharmacists, barbers?

They are issued a state license.

Probably prostitutes would need to have testing done and reported to the state to make sure they are clean. They would probably need to have some sort of continuing education.

But, in addition to the prostitutes being regulated, they would probably have to keep records of their clients, and the clients would also probably have to fill out applications and forms.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a bunch of whores got together to set their prices? That would be collusion amongst prostitutes.

Probably prostitutes would need to have testing done and reported to the state to make sure they are clean. They would probably need to have some sort of continuing education.

But, in addition to the prostitutes being regulated, they would probably have to keep records of their clients, and the clients would also probably have to fill out applications and forms.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a bunch of whores got together to set their prices? That would be collusion amongst prostitutes.

It would be the "International Sisterhood of Tool Workers Union" :eusa_whistle:

It would be the "International Sisterhood of Tool Workers Union" :eusa_whistle:

Good one!

Forum List

Back