Why is Prostitution Illegal???

It should be regulated like any other business transaction.

I'm sure you have a feeling how I feel about regulation by now...Lol.

How would you regulate it??

Do you mean...taxed...age limits...disease prevention..overtime...etc etc??

How do they regulate doctors, pharmacists, barbers?

They are issued a state license.

Probably prostitutes would need to have testing done and reported to the state to make sure they are clean. They would probably need to have some sort of continuing education.

But, in addition to the prostitutes being regulated, they would probably have to keep records of their clients, and the clients would also probably have to fill out applications and forms.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a bunch of whores got together to set their prices? That would be collusion amongst prostitutes.

Hey, that might be one way in which to solve these problems. These problems arise out of prostitutions being illegal- if it was legal it could be REGULATED, so that at least the business would consolidate. There could be even prostitute unions! I mean, how would prostitutes in a union be in favor of children and 50 cent slaves stealing their business, right? Well or that sort of thing. STDs and whatnot- for a license all your workers have to have clean medical records or whatever. That could be a fruitful way to deal with the issue, right?? I just say so, cuz I must say I agree with a lot of what Alliebaba was saying and yes, prostitution is pretty bad. It can produce quite a bit of problems. and serious ones, too. But can't these problems arise out of the fact that it is illegal and therefore subject to the distortions that frequent black markets? But if these people were brought out to the legal lamplight, then it is THAT kind of abuses that must be regulated.

I'm just saying because no matter what we do there is still prostitution. Prostitution is a problem caused by POVERTY. It is the problem of poverty that must be tackled- if one wants to go to the root. Otherwise the problem grows back. Prostitution is a prboel that can be both solved by entering these sex workers into the legal lamplight while SIMULTANEOUSLY tackling the problem of poverty- the root cause of prostitution.

Good grief, I give up.

Go ahead, legalize prostitution. That way nobody has to worry about the poor wretches.

Your point about drugs has validity. But I've known prostitutes who were drug-takers (professionally I hasten to add) and some who wouldn't even smoke or drink, same for strippers (again professionally). Some women who have no other skills go on the game for the money to support a habit. Some to support a family. Some to support themselves in higher education. The women who are substance-addicted are usually at the bottom of the pile when it comes to the game. They are most easily exploited because they're down and out and desperate. Now they're going to go on the game for the money whether or not it's illegal. At least if their working conditions were regulated and inspected it would minimise much of the harm they would otherwise suffer. No-one wants to see them suffer, well maybe some do but that's a problem for them.

Epsilon Delta

I'm just saying because no matter what we do there is still prostitution. Prostitution is a problem caused by POVERTY. It is the problem of poverty that must be tackled- if one wants to go to the root. Otherwise the problem grows back. Prostitution is a prboel that can be both solved by entering these sex workers into the legal lamplight while SIMULTANEOUSLY tackling the problem of poverty- the root cause of prostitution.

isn't economics the real root of much of our woes here Delta? i think we could also pin it on the war on drugs as well

what is it now? 1 out of 31 of us in prision, parole, or some manner of judicial action/oversight?

methinks perhaps people should try and make that enormous leap of logic, and consider the two could possibly have an interconnectability...

You know.....I've been to quite a few places where prostitution was legal. Spain, Italy, Turkey, just to name a few......

Interestingly enough, the places where it was legal, they had health cards you could ask to see, and they weren't exactly slaves either. In Catania Sicily, they have a place that is around 4 or 5 blocks in area, and it is nothing but buildings where women rent out the rooms. At around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, you see women coming to the area, with duffel bags, and dressed like the person down the street. They walk into their place, and 30 min later, they are sitting out front wearing sexy gowns and open for business. It stays like that until around 1:00 am, and then, they go back in, change back into regular clothes, and then go home for the night.

Oh yeah.......the police do foot patrols through the area......

Is there anything wrong with prostitution? No. It is the attitude that was started in this country with the Puritans.

Should it be legal? Yep.

but but but.....
p9202997.jpg

and and and.....

42-16185949.jpg

errrhm.....
3216184513_7c1cb4800a.jpg

ahhhh....
226277422_19b7926c4b.jpg

ahem!
[picture of four naked women, covering as above but with the fourth covering her vagina]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is prostitution illegal?

Simple.........

Those in charge wanna keep all the good stuff for themselves. Ever notice how many powerful congress people end up caught in a prostitution scandal?

Legalize prostitution.

The first question is whether laws against prostitution help with any problems associated with prostitution or not. My impression is they don’t. Legalization and regulation would minimize the harm associated with prostitution, which will occur with or without legal sanction.

Why is this practice , which is older than time itself , Illegal in almost every State in this country???

Who's "Rights" are being violated if two consenting adults engage in sex , and one is paid for the service??

Isn't that... traditional dating? Except you trade dinners and drinks for sex instead of cash.

Prostitution is one step from slavery, and actually is slavery, in most cases.

Slaves aren't paid. They are owned like cattle. There is such a thing as sex slaves and this is wrong, but not all prostitutes are slaves.

And Amanda, if a 15 year old girl wants to be a stripper, it's a sign she's either going through a phase or has a problem. I wanted to join the circus at 15. Thank goodness I didn't.

Not everybody makes good choices at any age. A minority of 15-year-olds are more sophisticated than the average adult, which isn't saying much. The world is full of stupid people.

I'd definitely dispute the idea that there is something wrong with anybody who wants to be a stripper or prostitute. Some people like to dance naked or have sex. Nothing wrong with doing a job you enjoy. Some girls use both to help them get through college. As a male I envied that advantage to some degree. :)

The problem is that it would be too difficult to regulate, thus why people insist on it being illegal, which is still not a good thing. For one, the reason isn't that it would be "out of control" but more that they couldn't tax it well, thus to make the profit off it they make it illegal and collect from fines and tickets (which many prostitutes would rather pay than go to jail and often can pay in cash). However by making it illegal there is no "safe" way to get into the career (or to rent one for that matter) and this creates the crime that is now so intermixed that it's almost unavoidable to many involved in it. Legalizing it would certainly hit the pocket books of the legal system, but it would also improve the industry a lot.

That's why it should remain illegal.

And Amanda, if a 15 year old girl wants to be a stripper, it's a sign she's either going through a phase or has a problem. I wanted to join the circus at 15. Thank goodness I didn't.

In some cases I would agree it is slavery, but how is it being illegal helping to change that? If it were legal it might be easier to catch the people that are trafficking. I can't see how inspections and licensing would make the situation worse.

I don't understand your stripper comment. I probably wouldn't do it now but if it were between that and starving I would. I'd probably do a whole lot worse than just stripping if I had children to feed. I don't think self preservation is a sign of going through a phase or having a problem. Maybe you can help me better understand what you meant.

In some cases I would agree it is slavery, but how is it being illegal helping to change that? If it were legal it might be easier to catch the people that are trafficking. I can't see how inspections and licensing would make the situation worse.

I don't understand your stripper comment. I probably wouldn't do it now but if it were between that and starving I would. I'd probably do a whole lot worse than just stripping if I had children to feed. I don't think self preservation is a sign of going through a phase or having a problem. Maybe you can help me better understand what you meant.

I think he's assuming that the 15 year old girl in the scenario still lives with her parents and doesn't need to work to sustain herself. Although they put age minimums on all sorts of jobs it'd make no sense for there to be none for prostitutes (since age of consent is >16 in some states)

Last edited:

I think he's assuming that the 15 year old girl in the scenario still lives with her parents and doesn't need to work to sustain herself. Although they put age minimums on all sorts of jobs it'd make no sense for there to be none for prostitutes (since age of consent is >16 in some states)

I don't remember what this was is response to on AB's part but I've said in the past that I would have worked as a stripper at 16 if I would have been allowed to so that I could have lived on my own. It was in a thread where people were saying that kids shouldn't be given certain rights until they could take care of themselves and I was pointing out that kids can't take care of themselves because they aren't allowed to. Who can live on minimum wage? It isn't possible.

I don't remember what this was is response to on AB's part but I've said in the past that I would have worked as a stripper at 16 if I would have been allowed to so that I could have lived on my own. It was in a thread where people were saying that kids shouldn't be given certain rights until they could take care of themselves and I was pointing out that kids can't take care of themselves because they aren't allowed to. Who can live on minimum wage? It isn't possible.

Actually ... I have and do know a lot of people who do.

Of course you do.

Of course you do.

Hell ... I did it working at Burger King for several years while in Tucson ... my own Studio apartment (actually it was a one bedroom without a door on the bedroom) and paying all my own bills. Of course I got most of my food from work, but I had to buy cat food for three cats.

I just can't believe how few people you must know for living in such a "connected" era.

You know.....I've been to quite a few places where prostitution was legal. Spain, Italy, Turkey, just to name a few......

Interestingly enough, the places where it was legal, they had health cards you could ask to see, and they weren't exactly slaves either. In Catania Sicily, they have a place that is around 4 or 5 blocks in area, and it is nothing but buildings where women rent out the rooms. At around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, you see women coming to the area, with duffel bags, and dressed like the person down the street. They walk into their place, and 30 min later, they are sitting out front wearing sexy gowns and open for business. It stays like that until around 1:00 am, and then, they go back in, change back into regular clothes, and then go home for the night.

Oh yeah.......the police do foot patrols through the area......

Is there anything wrong with prostitution? No. It is the attitude that was started in this country with the Puritans.

Should it be legal? Yep.
BS....was the EXPERIANCE memorable?.....:lol:

Forum List

Back