Why is Building the Wall Wrong?

So you're in essence saying a wall will work. It will force people to seek alternative places and methods to cross. Places and methods the border patrol will be prepared to interdict. The barriers assist the border patrol and are a force multiplier.

But it will also be necessary to change our laws, to criminalize visa overstays and provide expedited deportation procedures of all illegals.
I agree with both your points.

A wall will force or persuade people to seek an easier crossing. I think it's becoming pretty clear that there isn't going to be 2000, or even a 1000 mile mall completed. At most it will end up being about 200 mile of slatted fence with 1800 miles of reinforced fencing, cattle fencing, electronic monitoring, and aerial surveillance. Even if the "wall" were extended to 2000 miles, it wouldn't stop half the illegal crossing because most illegal entries will be at ports of entry. Less than 1% of vehicles are searched and only a small fraction of a percent of containers, boxcars or private planes are searched. Almost all of these searches are for drugs, not people.

Yes, reducing visa overstays, will require changes in the laws but it will also require a tracking system, and cooperation from sanctuary cities and states. In order to get changes in immigration laws needed to significantly reduce the number of illegal immigrants in the country, democrat votes in congress are going to be needed, and that's not going happen without changes that republicans are not going to like such sharp increases the number of temporary work permits and increased country limits.

1.4 million immigrate to the US annually, we take an additional 50K refugees and you think it's ok to continue to flood the country with additional people from the third world. Does that really make sense to you?
No, it doesn't make sense. We need more, a lot more immigrants. The 1.4 million figure is only 4 immigrants per 1000 of population.

Demographers and economists have been warning that the aging baby-boomer population presents a serious challenge to the nation’s finances, as the ratio of seniors to working-age adults—the age-dependency ratio—rises. However the problem is not just retirements but a shrinking birth rate. Without more young adults we not only face a seriously finance problem but a serious economic problem. Within a decade we will have a shortage 24 million workers and that number will continue to grow till at least 2050.

While many clamor for a halt to immigration, more immigrants are exactly what we need. They are younger, have a higher birth rate, and more entrepreneurial than native born Americans. Immigrants are the life blood of the nation as they have been in the past. Although more immigration means more cultural changes, that is nothing new to America because we are a melting pot of cultures.

I've never called for a halt to immigration, I do however think it is necessary to raise the quality of immigrants. They need to have skills that we need, they have to demonstrate they can support themselves. We can't continue to bring in impoverished, uneducated people who drop a kid and go immediately on welfare and food stamps and they don't tend to assimilate. I saw a man interviewed on the local news that had been in the country 23 years, he had to speak though an interpreter, he was here illegally.
A better class of immigrants would be highly desirable. The problem of course is people with good job skills and education are the least likely to immigrate. However, I think there are things than can be done to encourage a better class of immigrants.
  • First we need to increase the number of visas for highly educated workers. There are not near enough to meet demand. Many students with post graduate degrees and experience in engineer and science are turned down every year because of their country of origin.
  • Second, we need to tell the world that we want and need educated skilled workers. We don't care about your country of origin, your race, or your religion. We are looking for well educated, skilled workers that can be an asset to America.
  • We need to restrict family immigration to the immediate family. Other immigration should be based on merit and limits should be raised.
Assimilation is a slow process. Typically taking several generation. First generation immigrants rarely assimilate. They learn what they need to learn to make a living in the US and to function in society. Second generation becomes the hyphen generation. Thrid generation approaches what Americans think of as assimilation.
The one thing we don't need is more H1-B visas. This country is flooded with high tech workers from India. wages in my field haven't increased for the last 15 years. Yeah, software companies keep talking about shortages, but that's because they like cheap labor.

If you want wages to go up, then you need to restrict the supply of labor. Expanding the supply of labor can't fail to make wages go down or remain stagnant.

You want businesses to flourish and be able to expand, they need to be able to fill positions with qualified people to do that. Merit based immigration is a win win for the country. This thing we're doing now is a big negative.

What does it benefit me when businesses expand if my wages don't go up? The way you increase wages is by constricting the supply of labor. If businesses could easily fill all the positions they have then why would they ever off a higher wage?

Businesses offer higher wages to keep quality people, not to just fill a position with the unqualified.

Either way, if there are more people looking for the same job, then employers can pay lower wages. You can't get around the laws of supply and demand.

That would be if there are more qualified people looking for the same job.

So what happens when you import more of them?

Crossing in the San Diego sector went form 100,000 to 5,000 after a barrier was erected. They work, period. Visa overstays is a simple fix if politicians had the will.
According to the head of immigration, a border barrier simple persuades people to use an easier path across the 2000 mile border which is not hard find.

The 5 billion dollar Trump wall will not be a 2000 or 1000 mile wall but a 212 mile slatted fence, hundreds of miles of service roads, electronic monitors, aerial surveillance, and additional facilities to hold migrants crossing the border.
Trump will always claim it is his big beautiful wall which has stopped illegal immigration.

The fact is illegal immigration will continue as before with most illegal crossings occurring at ports of entry and the biggest problem untouched, overstays of visas.

So you're in essence saying a wall will work. It will force people to seek alternative places and methods to cross. Places and methods the border patrol will be prepared to interdict. The barriers assist the border patrol and are a force multiplier.

But it will also be necessary to change our laws, to criminalize visa overstays and provide expedited deportation procedures of all illegals.

A wall will force or persuade people to seek an easier crossing. I think it's becoming pretty clear that there isn't going to be 2000, or even a 1000 mile mall completed. At most it will end up being about 200 mile of slatted fence with 1800 miles of reinforced fencing, cattle fencing, electronic monitoring, and aerial surveillance. Even if the "wall" were extended to 2000 miles, it wouldn't stop half the illegal crossing because most illegal entries will be at ports of entry. Less than 1% of vehicles are searched and only a small fraction of a percent of containers, boxcars or private planes are searched. Almost all of these searches are for drugs, not people.

Yes, reducing visa overstays, will require changes in the laws but it will also require a tracking system, and cooperation from sanctuary cities and states. In order to get changes in immigration laws needed to significantly reduce the number of illegal immigrants in the country, democrat votes in congress are going to be needed, and that's not going happen without changes that republicans are not going to like such sharp increases the number of temporary work permits and increased country limits.

1.4 million immigrate to the US annually, we take an additional 50K refugees and you think it's ok to continue to flood the country with additional people from the third world. Does that really make sense to you?

We don't have an immigration clause, it is a naturalization clause. We should have no illegals in the US.

According to the head of immigration, a border barrier simple persuades people to use an easier path across the 2000 mile border which is not hard find.

The 5 billion dollar Trump wall will not be a 2000 or 1000 mile wall but a 212 mile slatted fence, hundreds of miles of service roads, electronic monitors, aerial surveillance, and additional facilities to hold migrants crossing the border.
Trump will always claim it is his big beautiful wall which has stopped illegal immigration.

The fact is illegal immigration will continue as before with most illegal crossings occurring at ports of entry and the biggest problem untouched, overstays of visas.

No, it doesn't make sense. We need more, a lot more immigrants. The 1.4 million figure is only 4 immigrants per 1000 of population.

Demographers and economists have been warning that the aging baby-boomer population presents a serious challenge to the nation’s finances, as the ratio of seniors to working-age adults—the age-dependency ratio—rises. However the problem is not just retirements but a shrinking birth rate. Without more young adults we not only face a seriously finance problem but a serious economic problem. Within a decade we will have a shortage 24 million workers and that number will continue to grow till at least 2050.

While many clamor for a halt to immigration, more immigrants are exactly what we need. They are younger, have a higher birth rate, and more entrepreneurial than native born Americans. Immigrants are the life blood of the nation as they have been in the past. Although more immigration means more cultural changes, that is nothing new to America because we are a melting pot of cultures.

I've never called for a halt to immigration, I do however think it is necessary to raise the quality of immigrants. They need to have skills that we need, they have to demonstrate they can support themselves. We can't continue to bring in impoverished, uneducated people who drop a kid and go immediately on welfare and food stamps and they don't tend to assimilate. I saw a man interviewed on the local news that had been in the country 23 years, he had to speak though an interpreter, he was here illegally.

Let's upgrade Ellis Island and raise the minimum wage.

Crossing in the San Diego sector went form 100,000 to 5,000 after a barrier was erected. They work, period. Visa overstays is a simple fix if politicians had the will.

We don't have an immigration clause, it is a naturalization clause. We should have no illegals in the US.

True, all illegals should be kicked out of the country.

A better class of immigrants would be highly desirable. The problem of course is people with good job skills and education are the least likely to immigrate. However, I think there are things than can be done to encourage a better class of immigrants.
  • First we need to increase the number of visas for highly educated workers. There are not near enough to meet demand. Many students with post graduate degrees and experience in engineer and science are turned down every year because of their country of origin.
  • Second, we need to tell the world that we want and need educated skilled workers. We don't care about your country of origin, your race, or your religion. We are looking for well educated, skilled workers that can be an asset to America.
  • We need to restrict family immigration to the immediate family. Other immigration should be based on merit and limits should be raised.
Assimilation is a slow process. Typically taking several generation. First generation immigrants rarely assimilate. They learn what they need to learn to make a living in the US and to function in society. Second generation becomes the hyphen generation. Thrid generation approaches what Americans think of as assimilation.
The one thing we don't need is more H1-B visas. This country is flooded with high tech workers from India. wages in my field haven't increased for the last 15 years. Yeah, software companies keep talking about shortages, but that's because they like cheap labor.

Heh... cry me a river. Software pays quite well. We don't need the phony protectionism.

Yes, it's natural these illegals should be deported.

Heh... cry me a river. Software pays quite well. We don't need the phony protectionism.

Phony protectionism? Zuckerberg would disagree.

Then go home.

Need help packing?

Probably. I don't know much about him. Is he a statist stooge too?

Let's upgrade Ellis Island and raise the minimum wage.
I'd be all for upgrading Ellis Island with ovens. You want more than the minimum wage, then upgrade your skills, you fucking lazy lawnmower.

Although a stooge, don't know if he's a statist and he loves the H1-B visas.

Although a stooge, don't know if he's a statist and he loves the H1-B visas.

Ok. ... so what? Why should I care whether Zuckerberg would agree with me or not?

how socialist of you. why not simply fine them and make honest tourists of them. we don't have an immigration problem we have lousy naturalization policy.

how socialist of you. good capitalists simply fine them and make honest tourists of them.

how socialist of you. why not simply fine them and make honest tourists of them. we don't have an immigration problem we have lousy naturalization policy.

They had every chance to be honest tourists, but they chose otherwise.

True, we don't have immigration problem, since immigration is about people who are permitted to be here. We have a problem with illegal aliens and criminals who do not belong here.

how socialist of you. good capitalists simply fine them and make honest tourists of them.

Sure, time for the tourists to go home.

Forum List

Back