Why Is Beligum Distributing Iodine Pills to it Population

A new Chernobyl coming?What's going on in Belgium?

Long lasting effects of the 1986 Russian disaster in their nuclear power plant in Churnoble (please excuse my spelling). This is my best guess.

I don't know. Have you "Googled" to find out?

Maybe they anticipate big growth in the mosquito population and an attendant jump in malaria?

Parasites aside, I think if they know that one or more of their nuclear reactors is at risk of critically failing before extant weaknesses in those reactors can be abated, being proactive about preventing whatever maladies they can is good thing.

According to The Guardian:
The government has also launched a website in the country’s official languages of French, Dutch and German to tell people what to do in an emergency as it begins implementing plans announced two years ago.

The Belgian interior minister Jan Jambon said his government aimed to “properly inform” the public and the plans were preventative.
“For now there is no specific risk with our nuclear plants,” Jambon told Belgian broadcaster RTBF.

Pharmacies interviewed by Belgian media said they had begun receiving some of the 4.5 million boxes of 10 iodine pills – which help reduce radiation build-up in the thyroid gland – that were ordered by the government.

Belgium’s creaking nuclear plants have been stirring concerns at home and across its borders after a series of problems ranging from leaks to cracks and an unsolved sabotage incident.​

Forum List

Back