Why I'm reluctant to get a "smart phone"

It has a much higher IQ then you?

Dammit, I was gonna post that - but I thought Dotty would whine... which he would if I'd said it. Serves me right for actually being nice for a change. Bastard, Ringy.

It has a much higher IQ then you?

Good post. :clap2:

You get a gold star!!
I'm impressed and a bit surprised you noticed my slight slip of the finger. Good job! :thup:
Tomorrow we'll work on the difference between to and too.

Not only did you attack me from the moment the thread was opened but you could not spell a common word correctly in a one sentence post having to do with intelligence :eusa_eh: :lol: Keep up the good work :clap2:

Last edited:
Good post. :clap2:

You get a gold star!!
I'm impressed and a bit surprised you noticed my slight slip of the finger. Good job! :thup:
Tomorrow we'll work on the difference between to and too.

Not only did you attack me from the moment the thread was opened but you could not spell a common word correctly in a one sentence post having to do with intelligence :eusa_eh: :lol: Keep up the good work :clap2:

Attack you? Funny bone broken? :rolleyes:

Anal putz!
(FYI: The last sentence was an attack..........) :lol:

Last edited:
Very well. As to the OP :eusa_whistle: does anyone have an opinion on the practices of those mining coltan & sweat shops that produce some of these phones/electronic jewelry?

Coltan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a byline, Pat Robertson had *cough* dealings in Africa too didn't he? ;)
Pat Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Foxconn suicides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sweat shops/slave labor produce a great deal of consumer products.
It is the result of a consumer base that demands cheap over everything else.

Dot Com look, I have had a Smart Phone for some time now, and it's an iPhone 4, and depending on who you ask, some would say I wasn't to smart to get that!! That said a lot depends on what you do with it. If you use a phone just to talk, and text, maybe spending all that money for a data plan is a little overkill for what you really need. If you use email, surf the web, and as my daughter points out, one of those who likes to hang out at Starbucks and look cool with the latest (this is optional). Then a smartphone might be for you.

I bought a Optimus V (V for Virgin Mobil) for $125 and I pay $25 a month for 300 minutes plus unlimited texting and unlimited internet. The only reason I decided to go that route was the ability to tether the phone to my laptop as a hot spot otherwise I'd still be using a basic cell phone.

I bought a Optimus V (V for Virgin Mobil) for $125 and I pay $25 a month for 300 minutes plus unlimited texting and unlimited internet. The only reason I decided to go that route was the ability to tether the phone to my laptop as a hot spot otherwise I'd still be using a basic cell phone.

That sounds like a sweetheart deal. One of my friends was tethering his phone to his laptop when i saw him & he explained that to me. I never knew that was an option.

This is one of the compounds used in electronics manufacture. Not complaining, just noting:

Coltan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coltan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coltan is the industrial name for columbite–tantalite, a dull black metallic mineral from which the elements niobium (formerly "columbium") and tantalum are extracted. The niobium-dominant mineral is columbite, hence the "col" half of the term. The mineral concentrates dominated by tantalum are referred to as tantalite.[1]

Tantalum from coltan is used to manufacture electronic capacitors, used in consumer electronics products such as cell phones, DVD players, video game systems and computers. Coltan mining has been cited[2][3] as helping to finance serious conflict, for example in the Congo
I didn't realize that coltan was merely an industrial name given to the combination of minerals

This is a little off topic but if you all want a really good chuckle, take a look at the youtube parodys on Siri. My daughter ran into the house last night and had me watch one.

Last edited:
Dot Com said:
I thought you were gonna say because you value your privacy... (Thats 1 main reason i dont have one!)

I'll be damned if I'm going to get a phone smarter than I am.

So you're stuck with one of these?

skypephone.jpg

:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back