Why I don't believe in God

My Christian friends get hugely pissed at me for posting anti-Christian stuff on my FaceBook page. Like Brian's cartoon which I just did. The problem is they can handle criticism of their faith because it tempts them into not believing too because you make too much sense.

I believe in Capitalism, adultry is legal, and slavery as you define it is morally wrong.
The Bible is the document above mans.

So?

So if German Christians had a clue that was the case they would have ignored German laws and not rounded up Jews.

Got a problem with that?

Now back to my original question from days ago - what's the downside to believing in Jesus?
First of,thank you I've been waiting a while now for a straight answer. As you can imaging theres obvious room to try to find logic holes but by all means let's stay on topic. I'll give you the same answer as I gave in my first post and I'll illustrate where needed. just not the part where we talked about morals, since i think we covered that part as good as we are going to.
"
I don't hate God personally. I can't hate what I feel doesn't exist. I hate how being religious means that your view of morality and even truth has to take presedence above all others. You have ppl blowing themselves up in the name of god. Ppl killing doctors because they feel those doctors do immoral thing. Religious ppl trying to decide what knowledge is disbursed to our children even if that knowledge completly falls out of the realm of religion. If a person can be religious and are content in keeping that in their own personal space, there's nothing wrong with it. But nearly all organised religions in history have made attemps and most of the time succeeded in imposing their will on the populace they where imbedded in, most of the time with dissastrous consequences for those who didn't believe how they did."
Obviously there are plenty of examples of Religiously inspired wars, but I want to illustrate another thing. The reason the dark ages lasted so long was because of religion. All knowledge in the dark ages had to be viewed first and foremost trough a religious prism. There was no way to be a secular sholar. All schools where religious and so all knowledge that in ANY way contradicted scripture was avoided or violently suppressed. Examples are numerous. Praying was considered an intregal part of medicine. Kowledge of anatomy was non existent since disecting cadavers was a crime. Personal hygiene was considered ungodly. Now that's history, but in the US there is a growing movement to like you just stated put god before man, resulting among other things in the supressing of science in area's where it contradicts scripture.
You're rambling all around the question. It is not about what you believe or what others do to gain personal power. I can bring up the 160 million murdered by their own Godless governments in just the past century if you want, but that's not my question.

What is the downside of believing what Jesus taught?

What do you follow that Jesus taught? Probably not much.

Dear ChrisL everyone I know follows their CONSCIENCE and wants peace and justice on THEIR terms. In order to do this consistently, and in harmony with everyone else seeking and following the same, we end up having to correct, agree and synchronize in the spirit of truth, which we determine by conscience, by mutually correcting each other until we hash out what we agree to be true and just.

What determines our faith is how far into this process we give up,
and how much we forgive each other's flaws, faults or biases and how difficult that makes it on everyone, and keep hashing it out anyway.

Very few people have faith this process can be done peacefully.
But everyone I know wants truth and justice and wants to be free from suffering and conflict caused by falsehood, ill will and negative motivations. People want to be free, at peace and secure in having their will and consent respected. So underneath, we all want the same thing.

We just don't all agree how to get there, and thus people fight for control instead of working together, step by step, and agreeing how to proceed.

Hi Emily, :)

As this is a religion section I think that there are just some people who are evil-natured as the Bible says (Romans 9:22.)

Romans 9:22
English Standard Version (ESV)
(22)What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

Hi GiveMeATicketToWork
What I find causes people to act in evil selfish ways is fear and unforgiveness
of problems or conflicts of the past that are projected forward onto other people and relations.

both of these can be corrected.

If you look into Scott Peck's books on "People of the Lie" and
"Glimpses of the Devil" he experimented with the process that priests
use in exorcism/deliverance to REMOVE the negative destructive influences
from the minds of schizophrenic patients. These were actually distinct
personalities or entities that Christians call "demons" and use deliverance prayer
to remove the generational blockages that attract and store these invading "demons."

When the cycles or generations of negative energy is finally broken,
this is part of the larger spiritual process the Buddhists call "karma" and overcoming it.
If we don't identify and renounce the negative causes, then the karma will repeat
in a vicious cycle, and people will continue to suffer the negative effects until we learn
to break from this.

The Christians call it breaking the generational curses and use the same prayer process for forgiveness to heal both physical and mental conditions, even criminal illness, and also
heal personal relations and whole communities using the same healing prayer by grace and forgiveness as transforming power.

GiveMeATicketToWork What I have reminded Christians is that the natural design of the mind soul and body is to be an IMAGE of God. The original state is PURE.

Anything evil, selfish or fearful stacked on may corrupt the natural state,
and make it unnatural and out of balance and harmony as before, as God intends.

But the evil is not permanent. It is not sustainable because it would take more and more energy to keep building and growing, so it will expend itself at some point, being finite.

What is infinite is God's/Universal truth and love that is able to multiple the more it is shared.
so that is sustainable, the good, the truth the love.

Anything that is the opposite: fear, ignorance, ill will, anger, hatred jealously division --
these will not last but cannot sustain in the presence of truth and love,
which overcomes all fear and ignorance.

Eventually all wrongs and the source of all wrongs will be
addressed, corrected and healed. this is all part of the human spiritual learning curve.
Any setbacks or changes along the way are part of that spiritual growth and journey.

My Christian friends get hugely pissed at me for posting anti-Christian stuff on my FaceBook page. Like Brian's cartoon which I just did. The problem is they can handle criticism of their faith because it tempts them into not believing too because you make too much sense.

My atheist friends get hugely pissed at me when I post anti-atheist stuff on my FaceBook page. They don't like it because it tempts them into believing because it makes too much sense.

Dear Slyhunter I see it as two totally different approaches to framing the world. So it is NOT either/or but all of the above.

It's like having arts and science at the same time; these do not compete or conflict with each other but provide two totally different avenues and means of expression and exploration. Both are absolutely essential, and are set up the way they operate for a reason.

I think both groups insult or offend the other by trying to trump or discredit each other.

if you can imagine trying to conduct an orchestra where the musicians are
arguing if the "treble" parts are the only right notes and the "bass" part is wrong,
you would see you can't even play the symphony unless you have both parts together!

Unfortunately people aren't taught that the two parts are designed to work together,
to check and balance each other. They are taught to reject, divide fear and compete
with each other, to make themselves "right" and the other group "wrong."

We need both the believers who work on faith,
and the nontheists who acknowledge proven points based on reason.

So both are designed to look at the world in different ways
in order to achieve different effects and goals that the other can't do by themselves.

1+1=2. You lose.

No, you lose. As I said, you're not smart enough to grasp this.

"1+1=2" is simply an equation we use to determine a result we believe. Many things have to be assumed. You've not defined absolutely what "one" is... what "two" is... what is meant by "equal" or what is meant by "plus." All of these have to be defined as we believe we know them. Does 1+1 always equal 2, or sometimes, can 2x1=2? Or 3-1=2? Or 1.5+.5? -- As you can see, 2 may not always equal 1+1. And again... One what? How about an electron? What if I told you, at the subatomic level, 1 electron + 1 electron could = 3 electrons? Or 1 electron? Or no electrons? And it might only depend on whether you are observing them.

You want to throw out another example of something we THINK we know?

Dear Mudda and Boss
I would say that defining GOD to be something that exists
is like assigning the term 4 to the quantity: * * * *
It is the TERM people AGREE to use for * * * *

Religions are like arguing is GOD arrived at by stating
2+2=4
2X2=4
1+1+1+1=4
2^2=4
etc. (NOTE: even though all these are correct, they are NOT THE SAME.
adding 1+1+1+1 to get 4 is NOT the same as taking 2^2 to get to 4.
And a lot of fights in religion are because there are differences,
and people argue you can't just treat all these ways as the same because they aren't.)

All these are right ways of saying * * * *
but they are all different ways of expressing the relationships
between different components that all add up to * * * *
defined as 4.

Someone else using Binary may express 4 differently.
Or someone may use marks in the sand | | | |

What we could do to avoid bickering over terms and analogies
is try to stick to the Principles Concepts Relations or Essence of
what we MEAN by "God" "Jesus" "sin" etc.spell these out in
natural terms what we are trying to talk about, and then we might
be able to discuss those things, and if we agree or not on the
NATURE of life, love, truth, wisdom, justice, universal laws, good will
or whatever else we mean by GOD in a specific context.

Good day and please focus on nitpicking for the purpose of
resolution and reaching agreement, not for the purpose of rejection
and obstruction. Criticism and correction is good, and much needed,
if we are going to pinpoint where we can actually communicate and agree. And not just play Devil's advocate to discredit or strike someone down. Why not focus on the universal points we want to build up upon?
I guess you haven't figured out by now that Boss is a retard. :D

NO, not at ALL.
Boss is a highly discerning very sensitive and intelligent articulate contributor in these discussions. May have a bit of an edge or ego that rubs against others with the same. That comes with the territory when you think for yourself and push for higher discernment and understanding among peers, it's going to get aggressive and pushy, defensive and a bit emotional where toes and turf are stepped on.

That's normal when discussing religion and politics!

I respect Boss and can forgive that slightly negative rejecting edge.
I can still work with Boss to the degree that Boss will work with me.

Being pushy and standing for what is consistent and what makes sense to you is absolutely necessary to carry these discussions and debates to their rightful conclusion.

I say go for it, we need more people willing to push like Boss is.
And just be okay with the process and not freak out and call names to release the pressure it creates throwing everyone's beliefs and opinions in one huge stew to sort out. Of course it's going to look crazy, but as long as the people involved are committed to making sense and resolving every last conflict or objection, hey, we can hash it all out!

I say Hooray for people like Boss sealybobo Derideo_Te numan orogenicman Inevitable M.D. Rawlings willing to push the envelope and keep asking questions until we pinpoint specific answers. If we are going to disagree, let's find out where and why instead of just calling the other person shortsighted, ignorant or wrong and leaving the issues unsettled.
You must be a retard as well. Got it. Thanks.

I'm kinda getting bored with this. I've had the courage to state my ethical world to you. I've been civil altough you have compared me to everybody but the devil himself.You have given me alot of direct question I've given you a direct answer to most of those questions. Now so far you have been very very eager to judge every single aspect of my morals, on the other hand you have given me precious little to your own ethical believes. Now I think there's some quote saying something like don't judge unless you'dd be judged so if you are not willing to go out on a limb and keep on contenting yourself to try to find little holes in my logic I see no point in continuing.

You continue to make this about you and I, despite me driving home it is about ethical systems, one based upon the Bible, the other based upon an individual's feelings at the moment. If you can ever get past this is not about you, let me know.
Have a good day.
Then answer the damn questions. Do you believe in Capitalism? Is adultry a crime? is slavery morally right? And here's the most important one do you feel your interpretation of the bible Trumps secular law?None of those questions are about me, I've answered your questions to what I believe, just so you could equate them to the beliefs of some of the most unetical ppl who ever walked the earth.But you can't show me the same courtesy.
I believe in Capitalism, adultry is legal, and slavery as you define it is morally wrong.

So?

So if German Christians had a clue that was the case they would have ignored German laws and not rounded up Jews.

Got a problem with that?

Now back to my original question from days ago - what's the downside to believing in Jesus?
First of,thank you I've been waiting a while now for a straight answer. As you can imaging theres obvious room to try to find logic holes but by all means let's stay on topic. I'll give you the same answer as I gave in my first post and I'll illustrate where needed. just not the part where we talked about morals, since i think we covered that part as good as we are going to.
"
I don't hate God personally. I can't hate what I feel doesn't exist. I hate how being religious means that your view of morality and even truth has to take presedence above all others. You have ppl blowing themselves up in the name of god. Ppl killing doctors because they feel those doctors do immoral thing. Religious ppl trying to decide what knowledge is disbursed to our children even if that knowledge completly falls out of the realm of religion. If a person can be religious and are content in keeping that in their own personal space, there's nothing wrong with it. But nearly all organised religions in history have made attemps and most of the time succeeded in imposing their will on the populace they where imbedded in, most of the time with dissastrous consequences for those who didn't believe how they did."
Obviously there are plenty of examples of Religiously inspired wars, but I want to illustrate another thing. The reason the dark ages lasted so long was because of religion. All knowledge in the dark ages had to be viewed first and foremost trough a religious prism. There was no way to be a secular sholar. All schools where religious and so all knowledge that in ANY way contradicted scripture was avoided or violently suppressed. Examples are numerous. Praying was considered an intregal part of medicine. Kowledge of anatomy was non existent since disecting cadavers was a crime. Personal hygiene was considered ungodly. Now that's history, but in the US there is a growing movement to like you just stated put god before man, resulting among other things in the supressing of science in area's where it contradicts scripture.
You're rambling all around the question. It is not about what you believe or what others do to gain personal power. I can bring up the 160 million murdered by their own Godless governments in just the past century if you want, but that's not my question.

What is the downside of believing what Jesus taught?
I had a pretty crappy day today thx to religion so I'll be a bit blunt. There is no problem with believing what Jesus thaught, providing you don't let those believes interfere with secular law. The problems start when you start to feel your view of morality is superior then someone elses. Cause the gives you moral permision to look down on ppl who don't feel like you do. Wich in turn gives you the moral permission to want to impose your view on other ppl; Wich in turn gives you the moral permission to kill those who don't want to adhere to your view. Point in case the attack on the planned parenthood hospital a few months back. Their view on moral right gave them permission to kill ppl. Even more they felt it a moral obligation. If that's not a downside to believing in Jesus and by extention religion I don't know what is. And it all started because they felt their interpretation of the word of god surpassed the word of man.

I've found that talking with most people who claim to be religious, they are really nothing more than hypocritical assholes. A lot of times they seem to be suffering from some type of personality disorder or mental illness, insecurity issues, etc. There always seems to be some kind of "abnormality" with them.

If you want to worship a god or gods, I don't really care, just keep it to yourself. Don't try to change our laws to jive with your silly outrageous belief system. We are a country where everyone is treated equally, regardless of the hatred hiding in the hearts of the so-called "religious" people.

I remember being at my aunt's wedding anniversary party (which she had held at her church), and I was standing outside talking to a few friends outside along with some "church lady" (a lady who worked at the church - to what capacity, I don't know, but she worked there doing something). Anyhow, we were talking about pollution, etc., and an oil spill that had happened recently, and this woman actually said that we shouldn't worry about such things because "god will take care of it." :neutral: I couldn't believe my ears! Ignorance at it's finest! :uhoh3:

I've found that talking with most people who claim to be religious, they are really nothing more than hypocritical assholes. A lot of times they seem to be suffering from some type of personality disorder or mental illness, insecurity issues, etc. There always seems to be some kind of "abnormality" with them.

If you want to worship a god or gods, I don't really care, just keep it to yourself. Don't try to change our laws to jive with your silly outrageous belief system. We are a country where everyone is treated equally, regardless of the hatred hiding in the hearts of the so-called "religious" people.
I'm not American myself, my wife and kid are though. I'm Belgian if you'd believe it. Pretty ironic since I'm arguing religion here. And here the assholes make my point of morality in the most dramatic fashion.

No, it's you who continue to ignore moral relativism is grossly flawed and always leads to what I know as evil.
I'm kinda getting bored with this. I've had the courage to state my ethical world to you. I've been civil altough you have compared me to everybody but the devil himself.You have given me alot of direct question I've given you a direct answer to most of those questions. Now so far you have been very very eager to judge every single aspect of my morals, on the other hand you have given me precious little to your own ethical believes. Now I think there's some quote saying something like don't judge unless you'dd be judged so if you are not willing to go out on a limb and keep on contenting yourself to try to find little holes in my logic I see no point in continuing.

You continue to make this about you and I, despite me driving home it is about ethical systems, one based upon the Bible, the other based upon an individual's feelings at the moment. If you can ever get past this is not about you, let me know.
Have a good day.
Then answer the damn questions. Do you believe in Capitalism? Is adultry a crime? is slavery morally right? And here's the most important one do you feel your interpretation of the bible Trumps secular law?None of those questions are about me, I've answered your questions to what I believe, just so you could equate them to the beliefs of some of the most unetical ppl who ever walked the earth.But you can't show me the same courtesy.

So?

Got a problem with that?

"
Belgium just got another taste of your moral relativism.

Have a good day.

So?

Got a problem with that?

"
weathermann if you suggest that religion had no part in this your a bigger asshole then i thaught. It is like I stated only a religious person would be able to think, killing inocent ppl and yourself makes you some kind of hero. Just like that crazy shooter in that planned parenthood clinic thaught he was serving your precious Jesus.

Have a good day.

So?

Got a problem with that?

"
weathermann if you suggest that religion had no part in this your a bigger asshole then i thaught. It is like I stated only a religious person would be able to think, killing inocent ppl and yourself makes you some kind of hero. Just like that crazy shooter in that planned parenthood clinic thaught he was serving your precious Jesus.
So you lump Christianity and Islam together as being morally equivalent.
You're delusional.

Have a good day.

So?

Got a problem with that?

"
secular laws condemn this kind of behaviour, Religious text apperently leave enough room for interpretatation to make this kind of thing possible.

So?

Got a problem with that?

"
You're delusional.
that planned parenthood guy was christian. It gave him the moral excuse to do what he did.

So?

Got a problem with that?

"
You're delusional.
that planned parenthood guy was christian. It gave him the moral excuse to do what he did.
Oh, so now we are back to finding individuals in history who prove the other 50 billion are murderers/
You're just an ignoramus, have a good day.

"
You're delusional.
Oh, so now we are back to finding individuals in history who prove the other 50 billion are murderers/
I can equate quite a few more,or are you really gonna say that an enormous amount of ppl have not been killed in the name of cristianity? Btw you stated that if the German ppl would have not killed the jews if they would have followed the christian way. What do you think the root of all antisemetism is. The belief that jews killed Jesus and should be punished for that deed. Gettos and wholesale slaughter aren't an invention of the NAZI's. They just took it up a notch. Germany didn't slaugther jews despite their Christianity they slaughtered them because of it.

Last edited:
I can equate quite a few more,or are you really gonna say that an enormous amount of ppl have not been killed in the name of cristianity? Btw you stated that if the German ppl would have not killed the jews of they would have followed the christian way. What do you think the root of all antisemetism is. The belief that jews killed Jesus and should be punised for that deed. Gettos and wholesale slaughter aren't an invention of the NAZI's. They just took it up a notch. Germany didn't slaugther jews despite their Christianity they slaughtered them because of it.

Moral and intellectual high ground are yours forkup, good luck with achieving eternal life on your own.

"
You're delusional.
Oh and btw just so I call you on your own hypocrity. You get all up in arms when I dare suggest that Christians have Extremists just like Muslims.Because you feel Muslims are nothing like Christians. They believe in Sharia law and you believe that Gods word goes before mans, big difference right? Neither did you have a problem calling me equatable with Poll Pot, Timothy Mcveigh,Charles Manson and Hitler yesterday. For the record and I've stated this before, believing is not a problem as long as you observe secular law first.

I can equate quite a few more,or are you really gonna say that an enormous amount of ppl have not been killed in the name of cristianity? Btw you stated that if the German ppl would have not killed the jews of they would have followed the christian way. What do you think the root of all antisemetism is. The belief that jews killed Jesus and should be punised for that deed. Gettos and wholesale slaughter aren't an invention of the NAZI's. They just took it up a notch. Germany didn't slaugther jews despite their Christianity they slaughtered them because of it.

Moral and intellectual high ground are yours forkup, good luck with achieving eternal life on your own.
Since I don't believe in eternal life I'm not worried. And as far as my morals go I can only live the best life I can. There is no second chance so I better get it right on my first try,right?

Forum List

Back