Why I could never vote for Newt - he wanted me dead

You don't even know anyone who chose to sell pot, so how the fuck would you know? Everyone I know who sold or used pot turned out fine. Heck one of the university medalists (straight A's) who had a triple major in chemistry, biology, and some liberal art I forget, was a pot smoker.

Name one person that pot killed and cite one scientific study that shows the drug THC itself kills brain cells Certainly inhaling the byproducts of combustion is not good, but there are more ways to do pot than by lighting it on fire.

Rightwingers generally do not view research scientists as "productive members" of society.

Actually untrue. Righties look at things in a fairly liberal way as regards research. If your goal is to come up with something that will benefit mankind they are pretty much for it. On the other hand , if you are trying to "prove" something that is allready known and wish to spend lots of money doing it...then they kind of don't like that.

The shrimp on the treadmill is an excellent example of that. Showing that a sick shrimp is easier prey for a predator is pretty much a no brainer. All of natural history show's that to be true. So spending 600K on something that is allready known is considered wasteful.ting

I tend to agree with them.

Although the end result of science is beneficial to mankind, if every scientific research project had to justify itself based on that criteria, Rutherford and his students would have never got the funding to shoot alpha particles through gold foil. In fact, to my knowledge, at least in physics, "beneficial to mankind" isn't a justification at all for research dollars. The question most important to getting research dollars is whether or not it will further our understanding of the physical universe - regardless if that knowledge will actually "benefit" us.

The "shrimp on the treadmill" is a horrible example. You haven't even read the research itself. You only think its crap research because some right wing think tank told you to. Not to mention the claim that it costs 600k+ to build the treadmill is false on its face. That's like claiming one of the hard drivers purchased for the research I do costs the price tag of the entire project.

Do any of the righties bitching about the shrimp even cite the NSF grant number under research is conducted? Not that I've seen. So I can't go look up the grant # and judge for myself their claims - how unscientific of them. Shows you they haven't even done the bare minimum of research needed.

Anything that furthers mans knowledge of the cosmos and our place in it is considered beneficial to man. As far as the shrimp goes, no I don't follow any right wing think tanks orders. I watched the interview myself and thought "and this is needed why?" We KNOW that sick, weak, injured critters are the first ones killed. We have KNOWN this since we were primarily hunter gatherers. It's how we survived as a race.

We didn't need to spend 600K telling us something we ALLREADY KNOW. Most of the people who commented on the story aren't scientists, they havn't the foggiest idea of how to go about finding the grant number.

Nor do they need to.

Exactly, so what the fuck was the point? :lame2:

Purely for entertainment value.

Just for the record - if the events as described actually HAD happened exactly as I described them, I would also be calling the story fictional and untrue....

You have done that...make up your fucking mind dude.

He can't. He's a newly minted PhD with an enormous ego and very little to support it. If he gets a job in academia he'll be the prof that the students hate. Arrogant to a fault and belligerent to boot. He's the stereotypical educated idiot that the movies love to poke fun at.

Dumb story.

We were also all cranked up on crystal meth, which made us absurdly paranoid the entire time.

As we were getting into our cars to leave the dirt parking lot on the U.S. side, this guy who had passed us with a wheel barrow full of clothes had set his wheel barrow down, turned around, and starting walking quickly towards us. We thought he was either DEA or worse - a thug trying to steal all the shit we just bought - but years later I think maybe he was just a Mexican who needed a ride.

A fellow camper noticed us packing the dope in the hot car late at night, as evidenced by him saying "go get em boys" as he passed us - so that didn't help.

EDIT: I also have another Mexican story equally as dumb, but we didn't break any laws this time. We (different crew) went down just to have a good time and wound up getting kidnapped/arrested by thugs/cops (to this day have no idea which ones or if the distinction is even relevant). So we had to pay a ransom/bribe. Of course our own actions led to this stupid thing happening but we weren't breaking any laws. They took our valid prescriptions and tossed them out the window and then said we'd do 5 years for having drugs without a prescription.
You're transferring your anger at Mexican cops your own actions led to "happening" onto poor old Newt Gingrich, OooPooPahDoo. It doesn't take a pHD in rocket science to figure that out, either.

Are you having a good time on New Year's Eve or what? Happy New Year, gewfy guy. :lmao:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back