Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I dunno

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
A co-worker, whom I greatly respect did something I cannot fathom. So I thought I would bounce it off some folks here and see if I am way off base here or if she might have been to quick to avoid a socially awkward situation.

We were eating at a new resturaunt, and we had a large going away party for a different co-worker. The waitress was very friendly, but a bit disorganized. She brought out the wrong meal for several of us (wrong table), forgot my straw for my soda, forgot seperate plates for the appetizer, and several times stuck her elbow in my face while she talked to the person beside me. And I wasnt the only one who experienced this kind of thing.

The most dramatic case of waitress blundering though was the following converstation that I am editing slightly for brevity (and because I cant rremember all of the exact words anyway).

Waitress to co-waorker: I split your bill with seat 6 so it would be more even for you.

Co-worker: You what?

Waitress: I split your bill between you two since you are each paying for the two workers leaving your company just to make it fair.

Co-worker: But the other person is also paying for her husbands meal, so it shouldnt be even bill.

Waitress: Oh, I see, well the meals all average out to $7 anyway.

Co-worker: I dont care. Please, correct the bill and bill me for what I said I ordered.

Waitress: OK, well, I'll be right back, sweety.

(waitress goes away for a few minutes then returns)

Waitress: Sorry ma'am, but I cant change your bill.

Co-worker: You cant what?

Waitress: I cant change your bill. The computer has it recorded the way I put it in and only the manager can change that, but he is in a meeting.

Co-worker: I dont understand.

Waitress (sits down in chair next to co-worker): See hon, (holds the ticket out for co-worker to see along with her) I have this and this and this on your ticket and I cant take it off because the computer has these items on your ticket.

Co-worker (exasperated): OK, fine, whatever. Here is my card.....

When my co-worker told me about it with another co-worker verifying the account, I was stunned at the waitresses behavior (though my own experience with her made me think it all within the realm of plausibility) but also that my co-worker actually paid for the items she didnt order.

There is no way in hell I would have paid for that stuff, period, nada, zero, null chance at that whatsoever.

When I said this, everyone looked at me like I was being unreasonable.

Would you have paid that ticket?

Last edited:
I'm finding it very hard to believe this story isn't a fantasy.

No, dude, it happened.

The waitress was really friendly, all that, but she really did do the things I am describing. She added on things to my co-workers ticket that she did not order or agree ot, she sat next toher to explain each item on the ticket like that was what was confusing my co-worker, and actually said she could not fix the ticket because only the manager could do that and he was in a meeting. There were multiple witnesses speaking to others in a group.

The waitress was ditzy, to say the least.

This is one of those things that h appen but are so crazy, it strains credibility. If I didnt know them for eight years I would not have believed it either.

But it actually happened. No bullshit.

$7??? Pay it in full w/ 25% gratuity then STFU & GTFO!!!

Hahah, no frigging way.

You were a service person too once?

The $7 was for the added meals, while the primary customers order was regular cost. I got the feeling from hearing it that she just didnt want to sort through the numbers.

Last edited:
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, but I would have paid the check for my sanity's sake, then not tipped the idiot, then never gone back to that restaurant again.

If you have the time, it would be fun to make her go back and do separate checks.

Me? I would have told her I was paying for what I ate, and she could work out the paperwork with the manager at her leisure.

All of this crying over $7 :cuckoo:

Heck, a large Big Mac with fries basically costs that much!!

Doesn't sound like much of a restaurant to me with $7 entrees.

But I guess if you are only making minimum wage.

$7 bucks is a lot of money. :doubt:

I would have explained to her that I would pay the bill and the overcharge was coming out of her tip

A co-worker, whom I greatly respect did something I cannot fathom. So I thought I would bounce it off some folks here and see if I am way off base here or if she might have been to quick to avoid a socially awkward situation.

We were eating at a new resturaunt, and we had a large going away party for a different co-worker. The waitress was very friendly, but a bit disorganized. She brought out the wrong meal for several of us (wrong table), forgot my straw for my soda, forgot seperate plates for the appetizer, and several times stuck her elbow in my face while she talked to the person beside me. And I wasnt the only one who experienced this kind of thing.

The most dramatic case of waitress blundering though was the following converstation that I am editing slightly for brevity (and because I cant rremember all of the exact words anyway).

Waitress to co-waorker: I split your bill with seat 6 so it would be more even for you.

Co-worker: You what?

Waitress: I split your bill between you two since you are each paying for the two workers leaving your company just to make it fair.

Co-worker: But the other person is also paying for her husbands meal, so it shouldnt be even bill.

Waitress: Oh, I see, well the meals all average out to $7 anyway.

Co-worker: I dont care. Please, correct the bill and bill me for what I said I ordered.

Waitress: OK, well, I'll be right back, sweety.

(waitress goes away for a few minutes then returns)

Waitress: Sorry ma'am, but I cant change your bill.

Co-worker: You cant what?

Waitress: I cant change your bill. The computer has it recorded the way I put it in and only the manager can change that, but he is in a meeting.

Co-worker: I dont understand.

Waitress (sits down in chair next to co-worker): See hon, (holds the ticket out for co-worker to see along with her) I have this and this and this on your ticket and I cant take it off because the computer has these items on your ticket.

Co-worker (exasperated): OK, fine, whatever. Here is my card.....

When my co-worker told me about it with another co-worker verifying the account, I was stunned at the waitresses behavior (though my own experience with her made me think it all within the realm of plausibility) but also that my co-worker actually paid for the items she didnt order.

There is no way in hell I would have paid for that stuff, period, nada, zero, null chance at that whatsoever.

When I said this, everyone looked at me like I was being unreasonable.

Would you have paid that ticket?

No, I would have made her get her manager out of the meeting. Unfortunately some restaurants have computer systems that make it very difficult to split bills, but in those situations you have to be very careful to do it right the first time. If she was new, I can understand how she screwed it up and tried to smooth it over, but I would have made her fix it, even if it got her into trouble.

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, but I would have paid the check for my sanity's sake, then not tipped the idiot, then never gone back to that restaurant again.

People usually end up going back to restaurants where they had bad service as long as the food was good. They just ask for a different server.

This story is too confusing to follow.

Seriously? Or is it 'to long, didn't read'?

The co-workers keep changing.

OK, I was trying to keep it relatively anonymous for obvious reasons.

There were two co-workers (A and B lets say) leaving the company. Two other co-workers (C & D)were going to pay for one of their meals each (C->A and D-> B). But co-worker D also brought her husband along, call him E.

So C should have paid for the tickets of A and C, while D should have paid for the meals for B, E and D.

Co-worker C was the co-worker who had the dialogue with the waitress and also the one who got hammered by splitting the bill among all five A through E.

Hope that helps.

lol, that was funny.

No, the waitress said that the extra meals for the leaving co-workers was only $7 and she was, again wrong, as one of them had a stuffed crab plate that ran like $11 and the other had shrimp with an appetiser for like $12 total.

Nothing was $7, she was just pulling numbers out of her a$$.

People usually end up going back to restaurants where they had bad service as long as the food was good. They just ask for a different server.

That's good too, but I have never had food THAT good.

To me, it's not an issue of the money, but an issue of incompetence.

Forum List

Back