Why I am voting for McCain

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I have jumped off of the fence and landed on the GOP side. I feels good to be home. McCain will get my vote in a couple weeks. The few on this board that truly know me, know that I did not come by this decision lightly, nor did I arrive at this decision by mere partisan tactics. I don't care about Wright, Ayers, ACORN, or any other partisan tactic that my beloved GOP has employed during this election cycle. What I do care about is political ideology. McCains idealogy is more closely entwined than mine. I considered overlooking this and voting for Obama until my liberal wife reminded me of something from Obama's '04 Senate campaign.

In '04, I was working for the GOP Senate nominee in the State of Illinois. My candidate had dropped out of the race in due to scandal and the GOP had caucused Alan Keyes to take his place. I was disenchanted and disgruntled and I was curious about Barack Obama. So I attended a rally outside Marion, IL. His message was fantastic. He was articulate, intelligent, charasmatic, and had an ability to transcend his race. A black man speaking to a crowd of white farmers is not a small thing in Southern Illinois. Yet, Obama spoke to the crowd. He connected with them. Especially on the issue of farm subsidies. He railed on for about ten minutes about farmers being the backbone of America and these subsidies were needed to support that backbone and take some weight off of farmers shoulders. Then everybody went crazy and applauded. Two hours later in Carbondale, IL. Seven miles away. Obama spoke to a different kind of crowd. His crowd was now more urbanized. I was at this speech as well, because I was seriously considering volunteering for his campaign. However, he took questions from the crowd and somebody asked him about farm subsidies. He answered this question by telling the crowd that these subsidies were nothing more than welfare for those that don't need it. That the money that goes to farmers to not grow crops needed to be reallocated to those that really need it. I ignored this obvious display of pandering and voted for him anyway. Alan Keyes was simply not going to get my vote.

I believe that Obama is all about change. Hell, I watched his position change in a seven mile roadtrip down Route 13 between Marion and Carbondale. This is why I can't vote for him for President.

I have jumped off of the fence and landed on the GOP side. I feels good to be home. McCain will get my vote in a couple weeks. The few on this board that truly know me, know that I did not come by this decision lightly, nor did I arrive at this decision by mere partisan tactics. I don't care about Wright, Ayers, ACORN, or any other partisan tactic that my beloved GOP has employed during this election cycle. What I do care about is political ideology. McCains idealogy is more closely entwined than mine. I considered overlooking this and voting for Obama until my liberal wife reminded me of something from Obama's '04 Senate campaign.

In '04, I was working for the GOP Senate nominee in the State of Illinois. My candidate had dropped out of the race in due to scandal and the GOP had caucused Alan Keyes to take his place. I was disenchanted and disgruntled and I was curious about Barack Obama. So I attended a rally outside Marion, IL. His message was fantastic. He was articulate, intelligent, charasmatic, and had an ability to transcend his race. A black man speaking to a crowd of white farmers is not a small thing in Southern Illinois. Yet, Obama spoke to the crowd. He connected with them. Especially on the issue of farm subsidies. He railed on for about ten minutes about farmers being the backbone of America and these subsidies were needed to support that backbone and take some weight off of farmers shoulders. Then everybody went crazy and applauded. Two hours later in Carbondale, IL. Seven miles away. Obama spoke to a different kind of crowd. His crowd was now more urbanized. I was at this speech as well, because I was seriously considering volunteering for his campaign. However, he took questions from the crowd and somebody asked him about farm subsidies. He answered this question by telling the crowd that these subsidies were nothing more than welfare for those that don't need it. That the money that goes to farmers to not grow crops needed to be reallocated to those that really need it. I ignored this obvious display of pandering and voted for him anyway. Alan Keyes was simply not going to get my vote.

I believe that Obama is all about change. Hell, I watched his position change in a seven mile roadtrip down Route 13 between Marion and Carbondale. This is why I can't vote for him for President.

Using your logic of you not being able to vote for someone who changes his mind, may I present to you the following videos?

[youtube]Phihl11YjyE&feature=related [/youtube]

[youtube]4K4I5jf9WmE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]F5v-1ifm93g[/youtube]

[youtube]6F1IuoR-o24&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]hwtayJCK5LY[/youtube]

I included the 3rd one for your viewing pleasure. ;)

Last edited:
Using your logic of you not being able to vote for someone who changes his mind, may I present to you the following videos?

[youtube]Phihl11YjyE&feature=related [/youtube]
[youtube]4K4I5jf9WmE&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]F5v-1ifm93g[/youtube]
[youtube]6F1IuoR-o24&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]hwtayJCK5LY[/youtube]

Exactly

while I may not agree with your choice, I respect what seems to be the critical thought you brought to bear in reaching this decision. Most don't even know what critical thinking is.

at least you're not a sheep. Kudos.

Anyway, it isn't usually the small farmers that benefit from subsidies, it's the conglomerates. It's about time we stopped corporate welfare.

It's no surprise to me that you don't know the difference between changing your mind and pandering for votes.

ooh ooh, let my try this one...

When a republican does it, it's changing your mind, when a democrat does it it's pandering for votes.

What do I win?

I guess you are correct in a way. There is a difference between changing a position over time and changing a position during a 15 minute car ride. However, I guess it really goes to ideology. I am a moderate Republican. A true conservative. If the shoe fits.

I do miss the McCain I voted for 8 years ago though.

No, because the message has been constant. Obama's message changes with the audience.

First of all, with all due respect to Crimson, we only have his second hand account of it.

Reading back through Obama'a history and voting record in the Illinois State Senate, his message has been consistent. Looking at his Senate voting record, his message has been consistent. Perhaps Obama was mistaken, perhaps Obama did pander to the second crowd... all politicians do it. Including John McCain.

John McCain's message being against tax cuts have been constant. Him being for tax cuts is very new.

I guess you are correct in a way. There is a difference between changing a position over time and changing a position during a 15 minute car ride. However, I guess it really goes to ideology. I am a moderate Republican. A true conservative. If the shoe fits.

I do miss the McCain I voted for 8 years ago though.

What do you think about Palin? Do you think she's ready to step into be the President of the United States G-d forbid something were to happen to McCain?

while I may not agree with your choice, I respect what seems to be the critical thought you brought to bear in reaching this decision. Most don't even know what critical thinking is.

at least you're not a sheep. Kudos.

Than you. For me it isn't about GOP vs. Dem or black vs. white or terrorist vs. patriot, or any other mantra this cycle has evolved into. It is about who I feel is best to lead the nation. I'm not scared of an Obama presidency. Hell, I am one of the few on this board that has actually voted for the man in an election, McCain is simply my preference.

No, because the message has been constant. Obama's message changes with the audience.

in fairness, O's message has been pretty consistent since the primaries.

obviously, you indicate that you've had more exposure to him as he was coming up in Illinois, however I've pretty much heard the same thing, messagewise, coming from the O camp.

*shrugs*

now your boy McDaddy.................................................not so much. but hey, we're talkin' about O, right?

all politicians pander for votes, that is the business they are in.

If in 8 years I decide I'm pro-choice and tell everyone I'm pro-choice, that's changing my mind.

If in 10 minutes I decide I'm pro-choice and tell everyone I'm pro-choice, and 5 minutes later I'm pro-life again, that's pandering.

What do you think about Palin? Do you think she's ready to step into be the President of the United States G-d forbid something were to happen to McCain?

I believe that she is just as capable as any other. I don't fully agree with her politics, but she has shown that she isn't the complete dumbass that I first thought her to be. She is learning. If I had my choice, the ticket would be McCain/Biden, but I digress.

Than you. For me it isn't about GOP vs. Dem or black vs. white or terrorist vs. patriot, or any other mantra this cycle has evolved into. It is about who I feel is best to lead the nation. I'm not scared of an Obama presidency. Hell, I am one of the few on this board that has actually voted for the man in an election, McCain is simply my preference.

hey, no prob.

I prefer rolling rock over miller. *shrugs*

one's preferences are like one's emotions. they're niether right nor wrong, but simply are.

do you~

Forum List

Back