Why housing is so expensive in California

Unlike Gooberville in the middle of nowhere, California is actually a desirable place to live.

Hence the high property values.

Economics 101.

No doubt California is nice, the scenery and weather is great. Having the highest income taxes, highest state sales tax, highest gas tax, highest homeless population...not so great.

Highest income tax. Yes.
Highest sales tax is Tennessee.
Highest gas tax is Pennsylvania.
Highest homeless population is New York City.

As usual you're 25% right.

WTF, another dyslectic liberal.
Which State Has the Lowest Sales Tax in the U.S.?
Highest gas tax is Pennsylvania...oops.
New York City, well is a city not a state, for future reference you may want to look that up.
10 Most Homeless States in America

Unlike Gooberville in the middle of nowhere, California is actually a desirable place to live.

Economics 101.

No doubt California is nice, the scenery and weather is great. Having the highest income taxes, highest state sales tax, highest gas tax, highest homeless population...not so great.
And the highest wages for the people who work other than minimum wage jobs. We also voted for most of the taxes we pay.

Got bad news pal.
Salary by State: Where Can You Really Earn the Most?

Supply and demand sweet heart. I dont think you been to Tokyo. Its extremely expensive and wages are low. They mostly rent and the size of the houses are extremely small.

California is a highly desirable area because of: good economy (work opportunities), good weather, good hospitals, good schools, ect....

You are just jealous and hating.
I just refered you to a site that shows housing is half the price that you pay in California. I watched an hour long video about the price of housing in Tokyo.

The bottom line is that California sucks, and it's all due to the leftwing government. The schools in California are the worst. They are ranked 49th in quality. The hospitals are no better than anywhere else. The weather has nothing to do with the government. The economy is good only because Silicon valley is located there. That's purely an historical accident that occured before the left took over the state.
You just stated your hate and no facts. When I was planning to move to the US it was known to most that one should move to a blue state or area...because of the opportunities, the universities and most importantly the people are open minded. It's a known fact that red areas generally are poor regressive and less accepting.

My wife was born in here in late 60s and she is practically the only one I know that was born here. Most caucasian Americans I met or I know migrated from mostly red states for better life.
In our area the average property tax is 30k a year now that's a salary. But keep in my mind people have a better life quality. We have a year pass to the best amusement parks that are only few minutes drive, we have ski resorts within a short drive and we have the beach within few feet. And my kids school celebrates the end of ramadan and diwali...and we never come across bigots...now tell me what red state or area that offer all of this ?

Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina etc. They all have a better quality of life than California. There you can pay an entire mortgage with 30K, not just your property taxes.
They are all shitty for us who tasted and lived in california.
South carolina ? Are you serious?
North carolina I can literally buy a 100 acres for a million and then what? I have to fly everywhere for entertainment and to make decent money.
Georgia the same thing.
Texas apart from Austin it sucks, and very humid.

No thank you, people dream to visit California let alone to live in it. It was my childhood dream and I'm glad to be here.

Your post is all lies, of course.
You hate California because it's simply the best state that happened to be ultra blue, that's all.
A good indication that lov9ng in a blue state is good...when I travel abroad , most Americans I meet in good hotels and good areas are generally from blue states and blue areas....they are often more educated, more open minded and wealthier. That's what kept the rural areas in the dark room and regressives...you guys need to travel abroad more if you can afford it.

Economics 101.

And the highest wages for the people who work other than minimum wage jobs. We also voted for most of the taxes we pay.

Got bad news pal.
When you look at the charts do they give areas of the state where income is higher? Did not think so.

Economics 101.

Got bad news pal.
When you look at the charts do they give areas of the state where income is higher? Did not think so.

WTF, you said California, I said California, now you just want to identify specific areas of California....you fricken loser.

Lots of bs in thread, here is the real reason real estate is expensive in California:

It is a desirable place to live.
Wrong, assshole. The price of real estate in Florida is less than half of what it is in California. The average price of a condo in Tokyo Japan is less than half of what it is in California. California homes are expensive because of leftwing government regulations.
Supply and demand sweet heart. I dont think you been to Tokyo. Its extremely expensive and wages are low. They mostly rent and the size of the houses are extremely small.

California is a highly desirable area because of: good economy (work opportunities), good weather, good hospitals, good schools, ect....

I just refered you to a site that shows housing is half the price that you pay in California. I watched an hour long video about the price of housing in Tokyo.

The bottom line is that California sucks, and it's all due to the leftwing government. The schools in California are the worst. They are ranked 49th in quality. The hospitals are no better than anywhere else. The weather has nothing to do with the government. The economy is good only because Silicon valley is located there. That's purely an historical accident that occured before the left took over the state.
You just stated your hate and no facts. When I was planning to move to the US it was known to most that one should move to a blue state or area...because of the opportunities, the universities and most importantly the people are open minded. It's a known fact that red areas generally are poor regressive and less accepting.

My wife was born in here in late 60s and she is practically the only one I know that was born here. Most caucasian Americans I met or I know migrated from mostly red states for better life.
In our area the average property tax is 30k a year now that's a salary. But keep in my mind people have a better life quality. We have a year pass to the best amusement parks that are only few minutes drive, we have ski resorts within a short drive and we have the beach within few feet. And my kids school celebrates the end of ramadan and diwali...and we never come across bigots...now tell me what red state or area that offer all of this ?

Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina etc. They all have a better quality of life than California. There you can pay an entire mortgage with 30K, not just your property taxes.

Let me help you Canadian short-bus. Living in Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina etc. in the summer is tantamount to living in northern Canada in the winter, it's cheaper, but you don't want to go outside.

A $30K property tax bill means you live in a $3M house. Of course tRump fucked individuals from the deduction, but corporations can take it.

Wrong, assshole. The price of real estate in Florida is less than half of what it is in California. The average price of a condo in Tokyo Japan is less than half of what it is in California. California homes are expensive because of leftwing government regulations.

Let me help you Canadian short-bus. Living in Florida, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina etc. in the summer is tantamount to living in northern Canada in the winter, it's cheaper, but you don't want to go outside.

A $30K property tax bill means you live in a $3M house. Of course tRump fucked individuals from the deduction, but corporations can take it.
:CryingCow:

Where exactly do you live with 30k/yr property tax?
Santa monica...some neighbors pay 60k and more.

Sure, for a $5M property.

Want a shock? Look at property tax cost for a $5M property in Dallas, TX.

Guess what, if all the savage criminals would be extracted into prison or out of the country all real estate would be affordable. Safe areas vs. non-White areas is what skews real estate, in addition to jewish syndicates owning large amounts of rental property. And yes local town and city employees are scumbags who just do what they are told so they can get their pensions.

Last edited:

Economics 101.

Highest income tax. Yes.

New York City, well is a city not a state, for future reference you may want to look that up.

Did you mean to write "dyslexic?"

Highest sales tax is Tennessee. 9.75%

California has the third highest rate nationally with 34 in every 10,000 people in the state experiencing homelessness.

Two states are worse off: New York and Hawaii.

Has California’s homeless population ‘skyrocketed’?

Economics 101.

Highest income tax. Yes.

California has the third highest rate nationally with 34 in every 10,000 people in the state experiencing homelessness.

Fuck crazy Cali, We should let Mexico take urban crazy Cali

Economics 101.

Highest income tax. Yes.

Yup, I did, thanks.
So now you're 25% correct.

One reason that housing is cheap in Tokyo is that fact that you can build on any size lot. If you have a 300 sq ft triangle shaped lot, you can build on it right up to the sidewalk, and many people do. There are no minimum sizes for bedrooms, kitchens or living rooms. In California there are all kinds of regulations saying you can't build within 10 feet of the property line, and so many feet from the road. You can't have more than two stories. and yada, yada, yada. There are also vast tracts of land that have been declared "open space" or "nature reserve" where nothing can be built. All these regulations drastically reduces the supply of buildable land.

Steve Jobs bought a 14 room mansion in 1984 and hated the design. it took him until like 2011 to tear it down because, again, "advocates" tied him up in court. His own house! He got it torn down finally after years of legal battles but died before he could build the house he wanted on the lot.

What was the legal position of the "advocates?"

Preservationists. They claimed the house was historical. (If that answers the question?)

Watching that show I am amazed at the real estate prices in some areas.
These people believe they are getting a deal buying a 50+ year old houses under 1500sq ft for 500k to a million.
That would buy you a 5000sq ft mansion where I live. With some acreage to boot.

Glad I live where my mortgage doesn't suffocate me.

The house in question sold for almost $500,000, and it was only 1600 sq ft.

Hey, $500,000 for 1600 sq ft, must have been an old show. That property should bring in somewhere near $650,000 unless it was a crap neighborhood or somewhere near Bakersfield/Fresno.
houses like that sold for 3-4 hundred thousand in Garden Grove when i lived in OC....and these things were built in the 50's and 60's....look at this one.....and this is a run down old area.....
  • IS660uh4arh3va0000000000.jpg
  • r02301320023202.png
    r02301320023203.png
    r02301320023221.png
    r02301320023220.png
  • ISifrmdfcp2c4b0000000000.jpg
11391 Woodbury Rd,Garden Grove, CA 92843
3 beds 2 baths 1,274 sqft
FOR SALE
$549,000
Zestimate®: $574,160
EST. MORTGAGE
$2,213/mo
Get pre-qualified
Single story Pool home in Garden Grove. Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, large front yard. Newer Windows. Roll-up garage door.
Facts and Features

Type

Single Family
Year Built...1955
Attached Garage

7,274 sqft

Price/sqft $431

INTERIOR FEATURES
Bedrooms
  • Beds: 3
Other Rooms
  • RoomType: Main Floor Bedroom, Kitchen
Heating and Cooling
  • Heating: Wall
  • Heating: Gas
  • Cooling: None
  • Cooling: See Remarks
  • Heating: See Remarks
Appliances
  • Appliances included: Dishwasher, Range / Oven
Flooring
  • Floor size: 1,274 sqft
  • Flooring: Concrete
Other Interior Features
  • Vaulted Ceiling
  • Ceiling Fan
  • Room count: 7
BUILDING
Size
  • Levels: One
  • ElevationUnits: Feet
Other Building Features
  • CommonWalls: No Common Walls
SPACES AND AMENITIES
Size
  • Unit count: 1
Spaces
  • Pool
CONSTRUCTION
Type and Style
  • Structure type: Other
  • Single Family
  • PropertyType: Residential
Materials
  • Roof type: Composition
  • Exterior material: Shingle, Stucco, Wood products
  • Double Pane/Storm Windows
  • ConstructionMaterials: Stucco, Wood Siding
Dates
  • Last remodel year: 1955
  • Built in 1955
  • YearBuiltSource: Assessor
Other Construction Features
  • Stories: 1
EXTERIOR FEATURES
Water
  • Pool
Lot
  • Lot: 7,274 sqft
  • LotFeatures: Back Yard, Front Yard
  • LotSizeSource: Assessor
Other Exterior Features
  • Unit floor #: 1
  • Parcel #: 10040217
COMMUNITY AND NEIGHBORHOOD
  • CountyOrParish: Orange
  • StreetSuffix: Road
  • City: Garden Grove
Schools
  • Elementary school: Woodbury
  • Middle school: Irvine
  • High school: Bolsa Grande
  • School district: Garden Grove Unified
  • HighSchoolDistrict: Garden Grove Unified
Community Features
  • CommunityFeatures: Suburban, Curbs
Transportation
  • RoadFrontageType: City Street
PARKING
  • Parking: Attached Garage, 300 sqft garage
  • ParkingFeatures: Garage, Driveway
UTILITIES
  • Cable Ready
  • Electric: Standard
  • WaterSource: Public
  • Utilities: Water Connected, Sewer Connected

These people believe they are getting a deal buying a 50+ year old houses under 1500sq ft for 500k to a million.

Wow.
Here is an example right in my area.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21231-Rum-River-Blvd-Oak-Grove-MN-55303/58762755_zpid/

Yeah, that's not what you get in California for $515,000.
more like 2 million....

Wow.
Here is an example right in my area.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21231-Rum-River-Blvd-Oak-Grove-MN-55303/58762755_zpid/

Yeah, that's not what you get in California for $515,000.
Do a search on Zillow for the city of Anaheim CA. The lowest price I saw was $485K for a 1000 sq ft townhome. They wanted $649K for a reasonable looking 1929 sq ft ranch.
i lived in Anaheim Bri.....in 1985 we bought a 4 plex by Disneyland in a fairly nice neighborhood for $82,000....sold it 3 years ago for 820 thousand!....moved and bought a 16 year old 3 bed 2 bath,attached 2 car garage with a decent sized walled back yard,dual pained windows for 155,000 in a much better area....in California this house would be a 3-4 hundred thousand dollar house in a half assed neighborhood.....

Forum List

Back