Why Get Married?

In this day and age; I can't think of any good reason why a successful man, having land, and money should get married. And if he did choose to; I recommend one hell of a prenup.
A friend of mine is thinking of getting married, and admittedly I'm trying to talk some sense into him. When I ask why he wants to; all he can come up with is because he's "in love"... That's about the worst excuse I can imagine!
So seriously; can y'all give me some good reasons why a man should risk losing half his assets just to prove he love some woman?

Children.
Children can still be made, and had without marriage.
The Father has no skin in the game if not married, he risks nothing. The mother risks her health her job and a lot more agreeing to have children for a man unwilling to commit to her and the Kids.
One can most definitely commit to both a woman and his children without putting half his assets up as collateral.

In this day and age; I can't think of any good reason why a successful man, having land, and money should get married. And if he did choose to; I recommend one hell of a prenup.
A friend of mine is thinking of getting married, and admittedly I'm trying to talk some sense into him. When I ask why he wants to; all he can come up with is because he's "in love"... That's about the worst excuse I can imagine!
So seriously; can y'all give me some good reasons why a man should risk losing half his assets just to prove he love some woman?

Children.
The Father has no skin in the game if not married, he risks nothing. The mother risks her health her job and a lot more agreeing to have children for a man unwilling to commit to her and the Kids.
One can most definitely commit to both a woman and his children without putting half his assets up as collateral.
Wrong but then you are not worth marrying since all you care about is assets and not people. Enjoy growing old alone and lonely.

Children.
And with the divorce rate being what it is; and more often (to my knowledge) initiated by the woman; bearing children with a guy is no bedrock token of commitment.

you can tell you are very young and your frontal lobe has not fully developed yet.

don't get married if you are not in love and have no plans of being with her forever, and a day.

who would want to marry someone who loves his money, more than them? The marriage would be destined to fail, before the vows were even recited!

You should not get married, you are not cut out for it or simply not mature enough yet!

Children.
Wrong but then you are not worth marrying since all you care about is assets and not people. Enjoy growing old alone and lonely.
If you contend that I'm wrong; offer information to bolster your opinion that a man cannot commit to both a woman, and his children without getting married.

Last edited:
Children.
If you contend that I'm wrong; offer information to bolster your opinion that a man can commit to both a woman, and his children without getting married.
You made that claim not I. And as note by another poster you are not worth marrying, you care about stuff not people. You ADMIT you are PLANNING for failure and so won't marry. Enjoy a lonely life.

you can tell you are very young and your frontal lobe has not fully developed yet.

don't get married if you are not in love and have no plans of being with her forever, and a day.

who would want to marry someone who loves his money, more than them? The marriage would be destined to fail, before the vows were even recited!

You should not get married, you are not cut out for it or simply not mature enough yet!
Lol!!! So much incorrect supposition. I love it. So much fail in on post I don't even know where to begin.
But you highlight exactly the problem with marriage today. For that I thank you. To contend that a man loves his money more than a woman simply because he isn't willing to legally part the with half of it, (especially when he built that wealth long before he knew she existed, or better yet inherited it from his family) should she happen to change her mind. Shows the gold digging, golden parachute mentality that has virtually destroyed marriage as a new "institution ".

If you contend that I'm wrong; offer information to bolster your opinion that a man can commit to both a woman, and his children without getting married.
You made that claim not I. And as note by another poster you are not worth marrying, you care about stuff not people. You ADMIT you are PLANNING for failure and so won't marry. Enjoy a lonely life.
"I" never said nor "admit" that I'm planning on failure. And you quite handily miss the point again. Why should a man get married? That's the question. Not what do you think of those who don't. Why are you incapable a persuasive argument to the "benefits" of marriage?

Lol!!! So much incorrect supposition. I love it. So much fail in on post I don't even know where to begin.
But you highlight exactly the problem with marriage today. For that I thank you. To contend that a man loves his money more than a woman simply because he isn't willing to legally part the with half of it, (especially when he built that wealth long before he knew she existed, or better yet inherited it from his family) should she happen to change her mind. Shows the gold digging, golden parachute mentality that has virtually destroyed marriage as a new "institution ".
:lol:

not quite! the hubby and I have always been happily married.... and it would have been me, needing a prenup to keep my husband from getting half of what I earned and inherited... since I've always made at least double of what he earned, until I stopped working and became a home maker....now he is the sole bread winner...

Shouldn't you be able to recognize that you are choosing to marry a gold digger? HOW could you NOT know that, before marrying someone? How could you fall in love with someone, and not really know them enough to know THAT....?

Do men loose their ability to think with their brain above the shoulders, when their brain below the waste is in overdrive???

not quite! the hubby and I have always been happily married.... and it would have been me, needing a prenup to keep my husband from getting half of what I earned and inherited... since I've always made at least double of what he earned, until I stopped working and became a home maker....now he is the sole bread winner...

Shouldn't you be able to recognize that you are choosing to marry a gold digger? HOW could you NOT know that, before marrying someone? How could you fall in love with someone, and not really know them enough to know THAT....?

Do men loose their ability to think with their brain above the shoulders, when their brain below the waste is in overdrive???

Of course they do. I'm not letting that little thing tell me whatto do anymore :p

I had a woman, she cooked, cleaned, did laundry well. Oh, and gave me sex. Only thing is, I couldn't leave a $100 bill on the coffee table without it disappearing. That and she had a hysterectomy. Moreso the $100 bill laying around thing.

I don't know about all that babble... But I do know this... You never really, completely know your spouse till you're sitting across the table from them at a divorce proceeding. What's more... This thread isn't about your marriage. It isn't about me, or whatever wild fantasies you've concocted about me.
Its about marriage, and specifically "why" should someone do it.
I find it strange that the to posters who've had the most to say in this thread... Cannot answer the question. Kinds makes ya wonder why they even posted here. Other than as a knee jerk reaction to defend their sacred cow, that they thought was up for slaughter...

I don't know about all that babble... But I do know this... You never really, completely know your spouse till you're sitting across the table from them at a divorce proceeding. What's more... This thread isn't about your marriage. It isn't about me, or whatever wild fantasies you've concocted about me.
Its about marriage, and specifically "why" should someone do it.
I find it strange that the to posters who've had the most to say in this thread... Cannot answer the question. Kinds makes ya wonder why they even posted here. Other than as a knee jerk reaction to defend their sacred cow, that they thought was up for slaughter...
you are right...I don't know you and truly was teasing you on your brain development! :D

to answer your question

to me and I would bet for the hubby as well...it simply seems like just a 'natural' thing to do, if you are in love with each other....life is less complicated as well, when married to your loved one...in all legal senses....

"I" never said nor "admit" that I'm planning on failure. And you quite handily miss the point again. Why should a man get married? That's the question. Not what do you think of those who don't. Why are you incapable of explaining, justifying your position that a man should get married?

There is really nothing a "marriage gives you that a civil union, and a contract laying out what happens to property upon death doesn't. I'm still waiting for that solid argument that would be persuasive enough for one half of the party to be willing to risk it all...

There is really nothing a "marriage gives you that a civil union, and a contract laying out what happens to property upon death doesn't. I'm still waiting for that solid argument that would be persuasive enough for one half of the party to be willing to risk it all...
if your partner becomes comatose, you are next of kin, you can choose to pull the plug or not, if you die without a will your assets and holdings automatically goes to the spouse without the need for other legal papers, your spouse can apply for early death benefits from SSI and so can your kids, if you are married for 10 years, your spouse can collect your Social Security (half of it) even if the spouse never worked....you can file your income taxes together, giving savings....

AND there are a hundred and one other legal things that give benefit, if married.

if your partner becomes comatose, you are next of kin, you can choose to pull the plug or not, if you die without a will your assets and holdings automatically goes to the spouse without the need for other legal papers, your spouse can apply for early death benefits from SSI and so can your kids, if you are married for 10 years, your spouse can collect your Social Security (half of it) even if the spouse never worked....you can file your income taxes together, giving savings....

AND there are a hundred and one other legal things that give benefit, if married.
I thought I had already addressed this. Living wills, and power of attorney arrangements are relatively simple documentations that a lawyer can draft for each and everyone of these scenarios.

Social security benefits might be a good argument in favor of marriage. However it serves to reinforce the notion of profit associated with marriage come whatever may.

I thought I had already addressed this. Living wills, and power of attorney arrangements are relatively simple documentations that a lawyer can draft for each and everyone of these scenarios.
Who in the world has the money and know how when they are young and first married or first partnered, to do all of those legalese things, for goodness sake!

And no, you did not address all those things I mentioned....no lawyer can get you disability payments or early death payments of your partner, or the means to file your taxes jointly as a partner couple, or receive your dead spouses SS if just partnered etc

Your arguments are more for a SECOND or THIRD marriage when at least one of the partners has money... imo

Forum List

Back