Why gay marriage matters

drew007

Rookie
Apr 1, 2009
Here's an opinion piece I've written.

It won't let me post a link, but if someone could post the link in their own post, thank you.

whygaymarriagematters dot blogspot dot com is the address (decode!)

I'd honestly like to know what you think.

Cheers,

Drew

You probably should've posted what you said if you want to get a convo going. But, as a warning, this topic has of course been beaten to death many times: WHY GAY MARRIAGE MATTERS

Drew Bennett said:
Here’s the truth. From one mind, one heart, to yours, and others…

If domestic partnerships give same-sex couples each and every benefit of marriage, what’s the big deal? The title of marriage will just be reserved to those relationships between a man and a woman. That’s what the majority of Americans believe, right? They do. And it saddens me. But don’t waste your time thinking about my tears, because the American people know what’s moral, and just, and right… right?

I feel fortunate to live in a state where domestic partnerships now give equal protection to gay and lesbian couples. This is not the case in most states, which do not offer domestic partnerships or civil unions, let alone marriage. This means no inheritance rights, no hospital visitation rights, complications and even prohibitions of adopting children, no tax benefits, no immigration rights (if your partner is international), among countless others. Additionally, so long as there is marriage inequality, I can only imagine that there will be countless loopholes found used to discriminate against gay couples within domestic partnerships.

But you’re right; as a Californian, we’re not left out in the cold. But that doesn’t mean that every time I see a Yes on 8 bumper sticker, I don’t writhe in emotional pain, anger and frustration. Why do I feel so threatened? And why do I feel the need to keep on fighting when I already have my rights? Why can’t I be at peace? Why is the title so important anyway?

Marriage means something on a social and cultural level. It’s a measure of commitment, legally, emotionally, and spirituality. Domestic partnerships and civil unions just don’t have the same ring (pun intended) and represent a colder, less revered type of relationship, one more reminiscent of a legal contract, and not of a bound love. In other words, the fancy good water fountain is reserved for straight people and the ugly dirty one is reserved for gay people. Sound familiar?

One water fountain offers more human dignity than the other, and I argue that such an institution fosters a separate-but-equal regime that reinforces a homophobic culture that only perpetuates violence and discrimination against LGBT Americans in schools, the workplace, and every aspect of society. And in case you didn’t know, Supreme Court decisions including Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson have already ruled that separate facilities are inherently unequal.

Now if someone tells you that he or she is a domestic partner, I imagine that you’d be smart enough to realize that this doesn’t mean that the couple at hand doesn’t love each other any less; but still, how does the word choice impact our conscious and subconscious minds, individually and collectively? Does it send a message that the relationships of gay people are less special and less important? Does it send a message that gay people are of lesser worth too? How does this affect children brought up by two gay parents? How does this affect all children in this society?

Well, let’s see…

[Please read the remaining posts, starting with 'Personal Experiences with Homophobia,' and continue onward until you finish with 'The Future.' Thank you for your time and I hope that you become inspired to make a difference.]
Posted by Drew Bennett at 12:00 PM

Last edited:
Boo Hoo Hoo.

I guess a lack of empathy from the opposition is less surprising than them caring enough to actually deny them gay marriage, as opposed to other people they find immoral. It honestly puzzles me. Do "immoral" marriages somehow degrade the sanctity of your own, and why do some kinds of immoral marriages offend you while others do not?

Leviticus 20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them

leviticus says a lot of things now doesnt it? gonna stone those planting two crops in a field...or those wearing blended threads...gonna buy slaves from canada or mexico....gonna sell your daughter....throw a stone at me...i will reply with fire power...

Leviticus 20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them

leviticus says a lot of things now doesnt it? gonna stone those planting two crops in a field...or those wearing blended threads...gonna buy slaves from canada or mexico....gonna sell your daughter....throw a stone at me...i will reply with fire power...

mostly an illustration of how ridiculous Leviticus is, which is the part of the Bible commonly cited to condemn homosexuality, ironically enough. I think all of the negative refs in the NT about homosexuality are from Paul?

Last edited:
If civil partnerships do NOT give the exact same rights as marriage, THEN there is reason to gripe.

IF they do, then the gay marriage issue is a waste of everyone's freaking time.

Leviticus 20:13

13(A) If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

If civil unions were the law of the land, and gays and lesbians had the same rights and priveleges affored to married heterosexuals, I wouldn't care if my partner and I were 'civilly united'. Irritated hets can keep the title, 'marriage' and 'husband and wife'. We just want to be able to take care of each other as family.

My family of origin is not my chosen family. Just as when men and women marry, they create their own families.

That's all I'm interested in.

Last edited:
If civil unions were the law of the land, and gays and lesbians had the same rights and priveleges affored to married heterosexuals, I wouldn't care if my partner and I were 'civilly united'. Irritated hets can keep the title, 'marriage' and 'husband and wife'. We just want to be able to take care of each other as family.

My family of origin is not my chosen family. Just as when men and women marry, they create their own families.

That's all I'm interested in.

And that's the way it should be.

I cant see what the problem with the concept of gay marriages is!

If two people who are in love, irrespective of their gender, want to affirm their relationship and access all the same legal and financial rights as all other couples. How does that impact upon me?

It does not undermine or threaten my relationship so what right have I to place my opinions and attitudes before theirs?

For all the bible bashers I am sure that there is also a passage which speaks about he who is without sin casting the first stone. I am sure if god has a problem with homosexuality he will resolve it on judgment day.

Personally speaking I am sure there are not only angels in heaven but quite a few fairies ;P.

It won't let me post a link, but if someone could post the link in their own post, thank you.

Cheers,

Drew

I think you ass bandits have such serious psycological problems involving self worth and loathing that no amount of public recognition of your silly relationships will make you right and whole.

Cheers,

Drew

I think you ass bandits have such serious psycological problems involving self worth and loathing that no amount of public recognition of your silly relationships will make you right and whole.

What makes you think any self-respecting gay man would want to capture your narrow, flat ass?

Marriage is a legal contract. If gays want to enter into it, let em. They can't embarrass the "sanctity of marriage" any more than most couples do these days.

Cheers,

Drew

What makes you think any self-respecting gay man would want to capture your narrow, flat ass?

Key words "self respecting". Therein lies your problem.

If two people who are in love, irrespective of their gender, want to affirm their relationship and access all the same legal and financial rights as all other couples. How does that impact upon me?

It does not undermine or threaten my relationship so what right have I to place my opinions and attitudes before theirs?

For all the bible bashers I am sure that there is also a passage which speaks about he who is without sin casting the first stone. I am sure if god has a problem with homosexuality he will resolve it on judgment day.

Personally speaking I am sure there are not only angels in heaven but quite a few fairies ;P.

"Marriage" is the "holy union" of a "man and woman" in the "eyes of the Lord." Now why would any self respecting homosexual want to be part of that when they know "the Lord" thinks of them as an "abomination," and that they will "surely die," and "their blood shall be upon them?" I'd think they'd want to stay as far away from "marriage" as they could.

"Marriage" is the "holy union" of a "man and woman" in the "eyes of the Lord." Now why would any self respecting homosexual want to be part of that when they know "the Lord" thinks of them as an "abomination," and that they will "surely die," and "their blood shall be upon them?" I'd think they'd want to stay as far away from "marriage" as they could.

Stuff it church boy. Morte than half of your "holy unions" end up in divorce and trauma for all concerned.

Last edited:
Stuff it chuch boy. Morte than half of your "holy unions" end up in divorce and trauma for all concerned.

Look at this David Hasslehoff wannabe.....

As Editec already stated if civil union grants the same rights as marriage we are arguing over semantics here. Millions of dollars going into how we word things. Marriage in its original conception is a biblical word thus when this country was founded and marriage recognized it was under the biblical definition of man and woman.

Now that being said in order to grant the constitutional rights afforded to homosexuals in the United States they can join in civil unions giving them the rights that married couples have. The Church should not advocate this but grant unto Caesar what is Caesar's. In other words if civil union is a legal contract and a binding agreement for consenting homosexual adults to enter affording them the same legal rights that marraige affords heterosexual couples there is no legal basis for any further arguement.

Forum List

Back