Why don't some libertarians understand that some of the personal freedoms...

...that they want, would be harmful to society.

Take legalizing all drugs for instance. It would be fine if the logic was as simple as people should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies. It's not. It would negatively affect people who would not be taking them. Society as a whole would suffer.

So you're saying that if drugs were legal then people could get them and cause a lot of harm? We would have the problems that we do not have now because since as they are illegal of course no one can get them, so we don't have to deal with that.

I see your point...

Now, let's discuss the damage that the War on Drugs does to our privacy, how it destabilizes governments across the world, and how it funds organized crime as alcohol did during prohibition...

So by your logic, just because prohibition isn't as effective as it should be, that means we shouldn't have it all? An attempt must be made to protect society.

Yes. That is exactly my logic. And since history fairly well demonstrates that prohibition does not protect society, only creates criminals out of people who otherwise would not have been criminals, I fail to see the logic of your position.

My logic is that legalizing drugs would be greatly harmful to society. The fact that prohibition in this country is flawed in its execution does not mean the philosophy of it is wrong.

Well... philosophy. It is easy for philosophy to be right because it has the advantage of having nothing to do with reality. Philosophies never seem to take into account that human beings are involved. Those damned folks just never want to be philosophical.

I shall repeat, since history fairly well demonstrates that prohibition does not protect society, only creates criminals out of people who otherwise would not have been criminals, I fail to see the logic of your position.

Why do you think that because you don't understand something that it means no one else can either?

What do you mean by society? How does individual freedom hurt it? Can you give historic examples, or we supposed to bow before your art degree in fake science?

Take legalizing all drugs for instance. It would be fine if the logic was as simple as people should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies. It's not. It would negatively affect people who would not be taking them. Society as a whole would suffer.

And society, whatever it is, does not currently suffer because those drugs are illegal.

Or does it?

People who would otherwise be making a strong contribution to society, would be ruined by addiction. Families would be destroyed. People would lose their jobs because they couldn't perform. It would be a drain on the economy. The cost on our healthcare system would be staggering.

That certainly describes the way things are now, can you give me some predictions about what will change when we legalize drugs? What would be the harmful effects of diverting funds from fighting a war that cannot be won? What about the negative repercussions of taxing drug sales on government revenue and the economy?

You know what's an even scarier thought? Corporate America having unchecked power. Imagine what corporations would do for the sake of profit. Self regulation is slow moving and ineffective. Corporations need to be limited by laws and regulations. We NEED administrations like the FDA, EPA, TSA, and FAA, etc.

Good point, without the TSA we would have people flying around the country without government approval.

So you're saying that if drugs were legal then people could get them and cause a lot of harm? We would have the problems that we do not have now because since as they are illegal of course no one can get them, so we don't have to deal with that.

I see your point...

Now, let's discuss the damage that the War on Drugs does to our privacy, how it destabilizes governments across the world, and how it funds organized crime as alcohol did during prohibition...

I have to agree with Billy on this one...I dont want people on PCP running around killing folks.....not my thing.....why do people need this crap???? Get high on life man....Jesus......I know Obama sucks, but not enough to kill yourself.

People who would otherwise be making a strong contribution to society, would be ruined by addiction. Families would be destroyed. People would lose their jobs because they couldn't perform. It would be a drain on the economy. The cost on our healthcare system would be staggering.

You know what's an even scarier thought? Corporate America having unchecked power. Imagine what corporations would do for the sake of profit. Self regulation is slow moving and ineffective. Corporations need to be limited by laws and regulations. We NEED administrations like the FDA, EPA, TSA, and FAA, etc.

Inhibiting personal freedom because it might cause harm to an abstract called society is just wonderfully stupid.

Any time anyone starts talking about the good of society, run away. He's up to no good.

I see your point...

I have to agree with Billy on this one...I dont want people on PCP running around killing folks.....not my thing.....why do people need this crap???? Get high on life man....Jesus......I know Obama sucks, but not enough to kill yourself.

Right, as I said since drugs are illegal people can't get them. Or at least it's really freaking hard. So I see your point, you're preventing this from happening by making them illegal.

I see your point...

If someone runs around killing people, that is illegal whether they are on PCP or not. If they are not running around killing people, it is none of your business - or the governments.

Forum List

Back