Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

I've never ever cared for films. I think it's generally a waste of time and for the most part a bunch of rubbish, at least the Hollyweird crapola.

True story: I once lived with a couple who watched films almost constantly except on Thursdays when they chanted (they were Buddhists). And they'd run their TV at screaming volume that made it impossible to tune out anywhere in the house. From that experience, hearing the constant barrage of sounds without watching the video, I concluded that Hollyweird movies consist of three basic elements, repeated and rotated over and over, for the duration of the film. These are:
  1. Explosions and gunshots
  2. Car chases and crashes
  3. Women screaming
I just need something deeper than that.

And if a film is based on a book invariably it doesn't do justice to the story, because it can't.

Perhaps a film has the same limitations a TV set has --- it makes you sit in one spot and shut up and then dictates every sensory input, dictates what the characters look like, how they talk, what the scenery looks like, and you end up ingesting a visual artifact instead of a story --- as opposed to the printed page where those characters, those scenes, those nuances are left up to your own imagination. It lets the brain breathe.

About once every ten years somebody takes me out to a movie for my birthday. The last one was Borat. But I dug it.

There are movies that are deep. However, like all forms of entertainment movies have different goals, to make you think, to escape, to laugh, to cry, to inform, and some just to please the senses. There have been over half million movies made, from masterpieces to pieces of fluff to pure escapism, to boring wastes of time.

Exactly, and the mass produced majority of them are simply put out to make money for the studio and not for any kind of consideration of art. I guess I regard that with the same disdain I have for commercial music.

OP will certainly know what I'm talking about there, right Oosie?

Even your previous post about "The Stranger" notes that it's the only Orson Welles movie to make a profit. That should be irrelevant. Every time I hear _____ movie made $X gazillion at the box office I hear it as a reason to ignore it. It shouldn't be a negative reason, but it sure is not a positive.

Unfortunately without the profits, there would be few if any movies. I have no problem with people making a lot of money but I certainly have a problem with talented actors, directors, and writers producing garbage simply because it's quick, easy, and profitable. Audiences and critics should come down hard on these people. Have you notice how many talented actors and actresses at the peak of their career start selling their name and not their talents. One that comes to mind is Robert De Niro who went from, "Bang the Drum Slowly", Raging Bull, Mean Streets, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Falling In Love, to Dirty Grandpa, The Heist, and and a slew of mediocre movies that he played supporting rolls and got top dollar. Another is Meryl Streep with a record 21 Academy Award nomiations, winning 3 and 31 Golden Globe nominations, winning eight - more nominations, and more wins than any other actor. Dustin Hoffman is another that is living off his name, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Little Big Man, All President's Men, Tootsie, and Rain man and now he does Kung Foo Panda and movies thrown together in few weeks in which he makes as much as the rest of cast for putting in a couple of appearances.

Point well taken although I know virtually nothing about any of those films. I've seen literally two of them out of the list (Rain Man and Godfather) (and I'd never want to see the latter again).

I will say this though. If the measure of a great actor is that you can sit and watch an entire flick to the end without ever recognizing an actor you've seen before and then suddenly there they are in the credits, who knew, well I gotta give them props. I've only ever seen two actors do that and one of them was Dustin Hoffman.

(The other was Marisa Tomei).

I've seen deNiro on SNL a few times and he looks like a complete amateur. Maybe he's just not made for the TV format.

Last edited:
Three excellent comedies on TCM between 4/12 and 4/14

"Bringing Up Baby", a 1938 screwball comedy with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn that's a riot from beginning to end.
Rottern Tomatoes - 95%

"Being Their"
, 1979 with Peter Sellers in his last and probably best roll and Shirely MacLaine as funny as ever. It is one of those rare films, that is such an electric comedy that you are more likely to watch it in amazement then break down in laughter on the way home.
Rotten Tomatoes - 96%

"Dr. Strangeglove", a 1964 political black comedy directed by Stanely Kubrick staring Peter Sellers (in 3 different roles), Sterling Hayden, George C Scott, Keenan Wynn, and Slim Pickens. It's a brilliant Cold War satire that remains as funny and razor-sharp today as it was in 1964.
Rotten Tomatoes - 99%

Three excellent comedies on TCM between 4/12 and 4/14

"Bringing Up Baby", a 1938 screwball comedy with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn that's a riot from beginning to end.
Rottern Tomatoes - 95%

"Being Their"
, 1979 with Peter Sellers in his last and probably best roll and Shirely MacLaine as funny as ever. It is one of those rare films, that is such an electric comedy that you are more likely to watch it in amazement then break down in laughter on the way home.
Rotten Tomatoes - 96%

"Dr. Strangeglove", a 1964 political black comedy directed by Stanely Kubrick staring Peter Sellers (in 3 different roles), Sterling Hayden, George C Scott, Keenan Wynn, and Slim Pickens. It's a brilliant Cold War satire that remains as funny and razor-sharp today as it was in 1964.
Rotten Tomatoes - 99%

Treasure island. Wallace beery, Jackie Cooper, Lionel Barrymore, Otto Kruger, Lewis stone, Nigel Bruce. 1934

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

For some reason, this TV Forum seems to not get much activity, why I'm not sure.

?
because we are busy watching tv? (a sad attempt at a joke, i'm afraid)

I still enjoy watching old films and, though I still enjoy my old time favorites that I've seen many times (like the THIN MAN series) I REALLY ENJOY being "turned on to" some old film that I've never seen before!

The first couple of movies in the series were very good. I didn't think, the later movies were as good.

I agree there was a noticeable drop....

but .....still......Myrna Loy! William Powell! They made a wonderful duo!

and who couldn't love Astor......

Lately I've been digging for (and finding and watching) ghost stories from the 30's and 40's!

Just the right amount of frightening.....

Have you seen The Uninvited? It's a classic ghost story released in 1944 staring Ray Millard. It's quite tame compared to the ghost stores of today. It's an intriguing mood piece, subtle and suggestive in its imagery. The story involves a writer and his sister who find this wonderful house on the Cornish coast. Very slowly the house becomes not quite so wonderful. The scenery is gorgeous and the theme music, "Stella by Starlight" is perfect. The only downer to this movie is the plot has been used over and over such that many people may find it boring and a bit to subtle. However it is a great movie. I think Rotten Tomatoes rates it 93%

I’m watching a special on Garbo. Gilbert made ten k a week to her $600. She wanted $5k. They wouldn’t give it to her so she said, “I think I go home now”

For some reason, this TV Forum seems to not get much activity, why I'm not sure.

?

I still enjoy watching old films and, though I still enjoy my old time favorites that I've seen many times (like the THIN MAN series) I REALLY ENJOY being "turned on to" some old film that I've never seen before!
The first couple of movies in the series were very good. I didn't think, the later movies were as good.

Lately I've been digging for (and finding and watching) ghost stories from the 30's and 40's!

Have you seen The Uninvited? It's a classic ghost story released in 1944 staring Ray Millard. It's quite tame compared to the ghost stores of today. It's an intriguing mood piece, subtle and suggestive in its imagery. The story involves a writer and his sister who find this wonderful house on the Cornish coast. Very slowly the house becomes not quite so wonderful. The scenery is gorgeous and the theme music, "Stella by Starlight" is perfect. The only downer to this movie is the plot has been used over and over such that many people may find it boring and a bit to subtle. However it is a great movie. I think Rotten Tomatoes rates it 93%

I’m watching a special on Garbo. Gilbert made ten k a week to her $600. She wanted $5k. They wouldn’t give it to her so she said, “I think I go home now”

Gilbert was alleged to be her lover and mentor.
Did you record Queen Christina? I watched it and it really displayed her talents although it is not her best movie. A comedy, Ninotchka released in 1939 is much more enjoyable film but it doesn't show Garbo at her best.
If you watch Queen Christina, google here and read the wiki write up on the real Queen Christina.

I've never ever cared for films. I think it's generally a waste of time and for the most part a bunch of rubbish, at least the Hollyweird crapola.

True story: I once lived with a couple who watched films almost constantly except on Thursdays when they chanted (they were Buddhists). And they'd run their TV at screaming volume that made it impossible to tune out anywhere in the house. From that experience, hearing the constant barrage of sounds without watching the video, I concluded that Hollyweird movies consist of three basic elements, repeated and rotated over and over, for the duration of the film. These are:
  1. Explosions and gunshots
  2. Car chases and crashes
  3. Women screaming
I just need something deeper than that.

And if a film is based on a book invariably it doesn't do justice to the story, because it can't.

Perhaps a film has the same limitations a TV set has --- it makes you sit in one spot and shut up and then dictates every sensory input, dictates what the characters look like, how they talk, what the scenery looks like, and you end up ingesting a visual artifact instead of a story --- as opposed to the printed page where those characters, those scenes, those nuances are left up to your own imagination. It lets the brain breathe.

About once every ten years somebody takes me out to a movie for my birthday. The last one was Borat. But I dug it.

There are movies that are deep. However, like all forms of entertainment movies have different goals, to make you think, to escape, to laugh, to cry, to inform, and some just to please the senses. There have been over half million movies made, from masterpieces to pieces of fluff to pure escapism, to boring wastes of time.

Exactly, and the mass produced majority of them are simply put out to make money for the studio and not for any kind of consideration of art. I guess I regard that with the same disdain I have for commercial music.

OP will certainly know what I'm talking about there, right Oosie?

Even your previous post about "The Stranger" notes that it's the only Orson Welles movie to make a profit. That should be irrelevant. Every time I hear _____ movie made $X gazillion at the box office I hear it as a reason to ignore it. It shouldn't be a negative reason, but it sure is not a positive.

Unfortunately without the profits, there would be few if any movies. I have no problem with people making a lot of money but I certainly have a problem with talented actors, directors, and writers producing garbage simply because it's quick, easy, and profitable. Audiences and critics should come down hard on these people. Have you notice how many talented actors and actresses at the peak of their career start selling their name and not their talents. One that comes to mind is Robert De Niro who went from, "Bang the Drum Slowly", Raging Bull, Mean Streets, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Falling In Love, to Dirty Grandpa, The Heist, and and a slew of mediocre movies that he played supporting rolls and got top dollar. Another is Meryl Streep with a record 21 Academy Award nomiations, winning 3 and 31 Golden Globe nominations, winning eight - more nominations, and more wins than any other actor. Dustin Hoffman is another that is living off his name, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Little Big Man, All President's Men, Tootsie, and Rain man and now he does Kung Foo Panda and movies thrown together in few weeks in which he makes as much as the rest of cast for putting in a couple of appearances.

Point well taken although I know virtually nothing about any of those films. I've seen literally two of them out of the list (Rain Man and Godfather) (and I'd never want to see the latter again).

I will say this though. If the measure of a great actor is that you can sit and watch an entire flick to the end without ever recognizing an actor you've seen before and then suddenly there they are in the credits, who knew, well I gotta give them props. I've only ever seen two actors do that and one of them was Dustin Hoffman.

(The other was Marisa Tomei).

I've seen deNiro on SNL a few times and he looks like a complete amateur. Maybe he's just not made for the TV format.

Raging Bull is probably De Niro best movie in my opinion. The Deer Slayer is one his most popular. Love Story in my opinion one of the most enjoyable. Starting sometime in the 90's he decided to make money off his name. He played supporting roles in a bunch of mediocre movies collecting millions for few hours work. Most actors are at their best when they are just making a name for themselves and still have have a desire for a great performance. Of course there are exceptions, Helen Mirren and Michael Caine are the exception. They have delivered consistently good performances in over 100 movies.

Dustin Hoffman in his breakaway roll, The Graduate is a classic favorite of movie goers although, Midnight Cowboy, Rain Man, and Tootsie really displayed his talents.

Last edited:
?

Did you record Queen Christina? I watched it and it really displayed her talents although it is not her best movie. A comedy, Ninotchka released in 1939 is much more enjoyable film but it doesn't show Garbo at her best.
If you watch Queen Christina, google here and read the wiki write up on the real Queen Christina.

See there, when y'all refer to "Gilbert" I have no idea who you're even talking about. But I could wax loquacious all day on William Schwenk Gilbert, the John Lennon of his time, who's a role model.

See there, when y'all refer to "Gilbert" I have no idea who you're even talking about. But I could wax loquacious all day on William Schwenk Gilbert, the John Lennon of his time, who's a role model.

John Gilbert was an American actor, screenwriter and director. He was a big screen star in his day. He died about 75 years ago. The only reason I know anything about him is his connection with Greta Garbo, hopefully she isn't someone else you have never heard of

John Gilbert was an American actor, screenwriter and director. He was a big screen star in his day. He died about 75 years ago. The only reason I know anything about him is his connection with Greta Garbo, hopefully she isn't someone else you have never heard of

Heard of Greta Garbo yes. Wouldn't know her if I saw her though.

images

images
I saw a really good movie. Westward the women. Robert Taylor

images
I figured you'd like it. Try the
The Sheepman, 1958 with Glen Ford and Shirley MacLaine. It's funny and certainly not boring.
Also Angel and Badman, 1947

Did you ever watch Queen Christina?

images
The Sheepman, 1958 with Glen Ford and Shirley MacLaine. It's funny and certainly not boring.

Not yet

images

I am taping angel and the badman. Couldn’t find the sheepman

images

I am taping angel and the badman. Couldn’t find the sheepman

It appears occasionally on TCM and the Western Channel.

images

I think I did watch queen Christina. The guy didn’t know she was a girl and insisted on sharing the bedroom then was insulted she wouldn’t dress in front of him. Then they fall in love but she’s not allowed to love the guy and she gives away her power then her lover died? I didn’t love that movie.

I just watched Tick...Tick...Tick...Jim Brown George Kennedy. Good movie.

images

I think I did watch queen Christina. The guy didn’t know she was a girl and insisted on sharing the bedroom then was insulted she wouldn’t dress in front of him. Then they fall in love but she’s not allowed to love the guy and she gives away her power then her lover died? I didn’t love that movie.

That was an exciting movie. I remember it now. Jim Brown was sheriff.

Most people seem to believe Garbo was a lesbian due to the fact she never married and she played mostly strong willed domineering women who more than once dressed as a man. In her day, that was unthinkable. A woman of her beauty just could not be a lesbian. Today we know different.

images

There is a great WWII movie coming to TCM. You might not like it because there is absolutely no combat scenes. It's a moving story about life on the homefront illustrating quite well that, they also serve who only stand and wait. The movie is "Since You Went Await". It was nominated for 10 academy awards and won 2. The cast includes:
Claudette Cobert
Jenifer Jones
Joseph Cotten
Shirley Temple
Monty Wolley
Robert Walker
Hattie McDaniels
Agnes Moorehead
Lionel Barrymore
Guy Madison
Kennan Wynn
Craig Steven
Ruth Roman

As a child, I remember WWII in our home. I remember the map on the wall showing advances of our troops, my brother's models of military airplanes hanging from the ceiling, the ever present fear of the telegrams, the celebration when Dad came home, the food coloring we mixed with margarine to make it look like butter, ration stamps, and Mom explaining what the flag with the gold star meant in our neighbors window. I can identify a lot with this movie, maybe some others can also. Anyway it's on TCM on May 2nd.

images

That was an exciting movie. I remember it now. Jim Brown was sheriff.

Most people seem to believe Garbo was a lesbian due to the fact she never married and she played mostly strong willed domineering women who more than once dressed as a man. In her day, that was unthinkable. A woman of her beauty just could not be a lesbian. Today we know different.

I love the way men attack her, apologize for being so forward, she says no, but no doesn’t mean no.

I just watched a silent film. The first one I saw had audio. Man she goes back to silent film?

images

There is a great WWII movie coming to TCM. You might not like it because there is absolutely no combat scenes. It's a moving story about life on the homefront illustrating quite well that, they also serve who only stand and wait. The movie is "Since You Went Await". It was nominated for 10 academy awards and won 2. The cast includes:
Claudette Cobert
Jenifer Jones
Joseph Cotten
Shirley Temple
Monty Wolley
Robert Walker
Hattie McDaniels
Agnes Moorehead
Lionel Barrymore
Guy Madison
Kennan Wynn
Craig Steven
Ruth Roman

As a child, I remember WWII in our home. I remember the map on the wall showing advances of our troops, my brother's models of military airplanes hanging from the ceiling, the ever present fear of the telegrams, the celebration when Dad came home, the food coloring we mixed with margarine to make it look like butter, ration stamps, and Mom explaining what the flag with the gold star meant in our neighbors window. I can identify a lot with this movie, maybe some others can also. Anyway it's on TCM on May 2nd.

How old are you?

Forum List

Back