Why don't people watch films?

images
I saw a really good movie. Westward the women. Robert Taylor
I figured you'd like it. Try the
The Sheepman, 1958 with Glen Ford and Shirley MacLaine. It's funny and certainly not boring.
Also Angel and Badman, 1947

Did you ever watch Queen Christina?

I think I did watch queen Christina. The guy didn’t know she was a girl and insisted on sharing the bedroom then was insulted she wouldn’t dress in front of him. Then they fall in love but she’s not allowed to love the guy and she gives away her power then her lover died? I didn’t love that movie.

I just watched Tick...Tick...Tick...Jim Brown George Kennedy. Good movie.

There is a great WWII movie coming to TCM. You might not like it because there is absolutely no combat scenes. It's a moving story about life on the homefront illustrating quite well that, they also serve who only stand and wait. The movie is "Since You Went Await". It was nominated for 10 academy awards and won 2. The cast includes:
Claudette Cobert
Jenifer Jones
Joseph Cotten
Shirley Temple
Monty Wolley
Robert Walker
Hattie McDaniels
Agnes Moorehead
Lionel Barrymore
Guy Madison
Kennan Wynn
Craig Steven
Ruth Roman

As a child, I remember WWII in our home. I remember the map on the wall showing advances of our troops, my brother's models of military airplanes hanging from the ceiling, the ever present fear of the telegrams, the celebration when Dad came home, the food coloring we mixed with margarine to make it look like butter, ration stamps, and Mom explaining what the flag with the gold star meant in our neighbors window. I can identify a lot with this movie, maybe some others can also. Anyway it's on TCM on May 2nd.

How old are you?

I don't do birthdays anymore. However, when Japan surrendered, I was in the 2nd grade.

The Sheepman, 1958 with Glen Ford and Shirley MacLaine. It's funny and certainly not boring.

I think I did watch queen Christina. The guy didn’t know she was a girl and insisted on sharing the bedroom then was insulted she wouldn’t dress in front of him. Then they fall in love but she’s not allowed to love the guy and she gives away her power then her lover died? I didn’t love that movie.

That was an exciting movie. I remember it now. Jim Brown was sheriff.

Most people seem to believe Garbo was a lesbian due to the fact she never married and she played mostly strong willed domineering women who more than once dressed as a man. In her day, that was unthinkable. A woman of her beauty just could not be a lesbian. Today we know different.

I love the way men attack her, apologize for being so forward, she says no, but no doesn’t mean no.

I just watched a silent film. The first one I saw had audio. Man she goes back to silent film?

Her first film was around 1920 or 21. She made more silent films than sound films. However a number of her silent films are lost or only parts of them still exist. Martin Scorsese, the founder of the Film Foundation, estimates that a full 90% of all American films made before 1929 and half of all films made before 1950 are now gone.

People are shying away from films because TV one-hour presentations have shortened their attention spans.
I agree, however young people have always shied away from longer presentations. When I was young I hated long movies. Have you ever seen the 1963 version of Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor, 5hr 20 mins?

There is a great WWII movie coming to TCM. You might not like it because there is absolutely no combat scenes. It's a moving story about life on the homefront illustrating quite well that, they also serve who only stand and wait. The movie is "Since You Went Await". It was nominated for 10 academy awards and won 2. The cast includes:
Claudette Cobert
Jenifer Jones
Joseph Cotten
Shirley Temple
Monty Wolley
Robert Walker
Hattie McDaniels
Agnes Moorehead
Lionel Barrymore
Guy Madison
Kennan Wynn
Craig Steven
Ruth Roman

As a child, I remember WWII in our home. I remember the map on the wall showing advances of our troops, my brother's models of military airplanes hanging from the ceiling, the ever present fear of the telegrams, the celebration when Dad came home, the food coloring we mixed with margarine to make it look like butter, ration stamps, and Mom explaining what the flag with the gold star meant in our neighbors window. I can identify a lot with this movie, maybe some others can also. Anyway it's on TCM on May 2nd.

How old are you?

I don't do birthdays anymore. However, when Japan surrendered, I was in the 2nd grade.

I’m watching 2001 a space odyssey. Classic. Very slow, not a lot of audio.

What planet are they on? Wasn’t the black monolith the spacemen uncovered once on earth with the moneys? Now they have uncovered it on another planet? Please explain.

I routinely watch full-length movies on television. I just won't go to a theater to see them.

I have a huge hidef TV and the picture is so clear I can see the zits on the faces of so-called beautiful people.
:21:

Claudette Cobert
Jenifer Jones
Joseph Cotten
Shirley Temple
Monty Wolley
Robert Walker
Hattie McDaniels
Agnes Moorehead
Lionel Barrymore
Guy Madison
Kennan Wynn
Craig Steven
Ruth Roman

How old are you?

I’m watching 2001 a space odyssey. Classic. Very slow, not a lot of audio.

What planet are they on? Wasn’t the black monolith the spacemen uncovered once on earth with the moneys? Now they have uncovered it on another planet? Please explain.

This is not a simple movie to understand. There are all kinds of hidden meanings. I suggest watching the movie. The ending will seem really crazy. Then read the following and go back and watch it again.
2001: A Space Odyssey — Explained

There are 4 sections to the movie.
Dawn of Man
The Jupiter Mission
Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Conclusion

I routinely watch full-length movies on television. I just won't go to a theater to see them.

I have a huge hidef TV and the picture is so clear I can see the zits on the faces of so-called beautiful people.
:21:
Sounds like you are too close to the screen. I rarely go to a theater either. I can't stand the high volume of the sound in action adventure movies. Besides, I like older movies.

Four good movies this week on TCM.

Monday
"Tomorrow is Forever" with Orson Welles and Claudette Colbert

Tuesday
Camille, probably Garbo's best performance

Wednesday
"Somebody Up There Likes Me" with Paul Newman in one his best roles. playing the boxer, Rocky Graziana, a real life inspiring story. It's listed in AFI top 10 US films.

Thrusday
"Since You Went Away", a war movie for people who hate war movies. It's about life on the home front focusing on a single family. It's a great mix of romance, drama, and comedy with 10 academy award nominations.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday
"Somebody Up There Likes Me" with Paul Newman in one his best roles. playing the boxer, Rocky Graziana, a real life inspiring story. It's listed in AFI top 10 US films.

Thrusday
"Since You Went Away", a war movie for people who hate war movies. It's about life on the home front focusing on a single family. It's a great mix of romance, drama, and comedy with 10 academy award nominations.

Why does Nelson eddy wear so much makeup?

If you live 100 years about 50 of them are cooking, eating, sleeping, bathrooming and messing with the house, trailer, cave or tent, depending where you live.
Another 4 out of what's left daily is spent transporting and telephonating/emailing.
There's barely enough time for a wild fuck let alone watching a damned movie !
ALTHOUGH . That could be at the same time. Add a drug store trip for lil blue to the first sentence since 2 hours is a looooooong movie. :2up:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thrusday

Why does Nelson eddy wear so much makeup?

It wasn't just Nelson Eddy. Blue-sensitive film was used in silent movies and many movies in the 30's. It renders red as black, so unmade-up faces looked darker on the screen than they were in reality and any unevenness in the complexion made faces look dirty. Many early film actors, particularly those that came from the stage, responded to these problems by covering their face with heavy make-up, giving them a look that belonged more on a mortician’s slab than a movie set. Since Nelson Eddy came to the movies from the opera stage where makeup is used heavily, he probably just continued doing what he had done for years.

Some good movies on TCM tomorrow:
The Best Years of Our Lives and Pride of the Marines are probably the best, both WWII flicks. The Best Years of Our Lives is a 7 time academy award winner about life in America when the troops come home. Pride of the Marines is a biographical drama about war hero. Al Schmid.

Only Angles Have Wings is a good drama about a pilot flying the Andes in the 1930's with Cary Grant.

To Have and Have Not is the Bogie movie where he meets Bacall set during the war in Martinique. The novel's by Hemingway, script by William Faulker, and directed by Howard Hawks, so it's got to be the best movie Bogie did, but it's not. However it is still worth watching with Walter Brennan, Hogie Carmichael, and Baccal with her most famous line,
"You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow"

The Best Years of Our Lives.

Pride of the Marines

Only Angels Have Wings

To Have and Have Not

The Best Years of Our Lives and Pride of the Marines are probably the best, both WWII flicks. The Best Years of Our Lives is a 7 time academy award winner about life in America when the troops come home. Pride of the Marines is a biographical drama about war hero. Al Schmid.

Only Angles Have Wings is a good drama about a pilot flying the Andes in the 1930's with Cary Grant.

To Have and Have Not is the Bogie movie where he meets Bacall set during the war in Martinique. The novel's by Hemingway, script by William Faulker, and directed by Howard Hawks, so it's got to be the best movie Bogie did, but it's not. However it is still worth watching with Walter Brennan, Hogie Carmichael, and Baccal with her most famous line,
"You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow"

Pride of the Marines

Only Angels Have Wings

To Have and Have Not

I’ve taped a few Maureen o’Hara Movies. Right now I’m watching sinbad the sailor. Also starring Anthony Quinn and Douglas Fairbanks jr. so far really boring. I wonder what people thought in 1947.

I couldn’t even tell you what’s happening.

Pride of the Marines

Only Angels Have Wings

To Have and Have Not

I’ve taped a few Maureen o’Hara Movies. Right now I’m watching sinbad the sailor. Also starring Anthony Quinn and Douglas Fairbanks jr. so far really boring. I wonder what people thought in 1947.

You have to press that little button to turn the TV on.

Pride of the Marines

Only Angels Have Wings

To Have and Have Not

Good old action adventure movies made in 40's are hard to find because they depended on the action, color photograph, and location for success, not acting or the script, nor the plot.

Most people today would not consider a sword fight in living color on a ship exciting without wide screen, Dolby sound, and the ship going over a waterfall and falling into a new dimension and the mouth of a sea monster the size of earth.

In the 40's that was not only impossible but audiences did not expect it. This was a time when people went to the circus to see a real live elephant or lion. People when to the airport to watch airplanes land and take off. And in many towns the most exciting thing to do on Saturday night was to go to the movie Sinbad the Sailor or the swim meet at the municipal pool or just stay home and listen to Amos and Andy and Laurence Welk.

During this period, there are plenty of good dramas, love stories, and comedies with good plots, clever scripts and fine acting which are forever entertaining to audience. I suggest you try some these or seek newer action adventure movies.

I don't watch many new films because most of them seem to be rehashes of old tropes. I'd rather read about history or geology. I do like watching films that deal with/are set in a specific era and portray it well. I'm usually out wheelying/snowmobiling, if not posting on here listening to tunes.

Pride of the Marines

Only Angels Have Wings

To Have and Have Not

Good old action adventure movies made in 40's are hard to find because they depended on the action, color photograph, and location for success, not acting or the script, nor the plot.

Most people today would not consider a sword fight in living color on a ship exciting without wide screen, Dolby sound, and the ship going over a waterfall and falling into a new dimension and the mouth of a sea monster the size of earth.

In the 40's that was not only impossible but audiences did not expect it. This was a time when people went to the circus to see a real live elephant or lion. People when to the airport to watch airplanes land and take off. And in many towns the most exciting thing to do on Saturday night was to go to the movie Sinbad the Sailor or the swim meet at the municipal pool or just stay home and listen to Amos and Andy and Laurence Welk.

During this period, there are plenty of good dramas, love stories, and comedies with good plots, clever scripts and fine acting which are forever entertaining to audience. I suggest you try some these or seek newer action adventure movies.

I know the difference between a good movie made in the 40' and a bad one. Sinbad sucked. I'm sure it's not one of the movies any of these actors are most proud of. LOL. It really really sucked.

What do you mean they didn't depend on the script? If you don't have special effects, the plot and script are all you have. This story went nowhere and was boring. The dialog seemed to be all over the place.

You are right that maybe they made the movie longer than it needed to be because people back then wanted a long movie experience. Sort of like Laurence Of Arabia only not nearly as good.

Of course I can seek newer action adventures but that's not what my goal is. I search for old gems. They exist. But not every classic is actually a classic on Turner Classic Movies.

Forum List

Back