Why don't people watch films?

Ever see It’s a big country? 1951 a patriotic tribute to the wonder and diversity of the USA. Several short stories glorifying the American way of life.

Nancy Reagan’s in it. I can’t wait to see how young she will look.
Yes. It was a good movie. The credits read like a 1950 who's who in Hollywood.
I’m Greek. One of the short stories was the Hungarian man who had all girls. He told them Hungarians hate greeks. Have for 500 years maybe 1000. Then his oldest daughter met a Greek man.
I ran across this website that has a number of free full length classic movies. I didn't watch any but plan to do so.
30 Hollywood Classics Streaming Free in the Public Domain
Inherit the wind. 1960. The Tennessee town is anti evolution. They locked up a teacher for teaching evolution and two attorneys debate creationism vs Darwinism

Spencer Tracy Fredric March Gene kelly dick York

Harry Morgan too from mash.
The surprise performance was that of Gene Kelly. We always think of him as the song and dance man who made Singing in the Rain, a movie he hated and An American in Paris but he proved in this movie that he could act. He only made about half dozens dramas and several comedies if you exclude the propaganda films of WWII. However, he got good reviews in almost all of them.

Spencer Tracey and Fredric March made this one of the most memorable movies of the 60's
What role did Gene kelly play?

Yes. It was a good movie. The credits read like a 1950 who's who in Hollywood.
I’m Greek. One of the short stories was the Hungarian man who had all girls. He told them Hungarians hate greeks. Have for 500 years maybe 1000. Then his oldest daughter met a Greek man.
I ran across this website that has a number of free full length classic movies. I didn't watch any but plan to do so.
Inherit the wind. 1960. The Tennessee town is anti evolution. They locked up a teacher for teaching evolution and two attorneys debate creationism vs Darwinism

The surprise performance was that of Gene Kelly. We always think of him as the song and dance man who made Singing in the Rain, a movie he hated and An American in Paris but he proved in this movie that he could act. He only made about half dozens dramas and several comedies if you exclude the propaganda films of WWII. However, he got good reviews in almost all of them.

Spencer Tracey and Fredric March made this one of the most memorable movies of the 60's
The cynical Baltimore reporter whose paper comes to the aid of the younger teacher.

Today we see this movie as just an attack on creationism but director and producer, Stanley Kramer's aim was to create a parable of the Scopes Monkey Trial as a means of discussing McCarthyism and intellectual freedom. Much of the credit for this fine film goes to writer Nedrick Young who was blacklisted by McCarthy.

The cynical Baltimore reporter whose paper comes to the aid of the younger teacher.

Today we see this movie as just an attack on creationism but director and producer, Stanley Kramer's aim was to create a parable of the Scopes Monkey Trial as a means of discussing McCarthyism and intellectual freedom. Much of the credit for this fine film goes to writer Nedrick Young who was blacklisted by McCarthy.

Fort dobbs with Clint walker. He was a stud. Must have been a bodybuilder.

Virginia Mayo wasn’t hard to look at either.

On another subject, I don’t like Bogart, James Cagney, George c Scott, Mickey Rooney or Spencer Tracy movies as much as others do. I find them boring.

Moral or the story in fort dobbs is that it’s ok to murder one man for his possessions if it will save the lives of 100 people.

The guy with all the guns said his life savings were in those guns and he was going to sell them. The main character said he’s taking them one way or the other then they shot it out.

Is that right? This movie was good but sends a horrible message. I would have killed him too to save every person in that fort but is this right?

Fort dobbs with Clint walker. He was a stud. Must have been a bodybuilder.

Virginia Mayo wasn’t hard to look at either.

On another subject, I don’t like Bogart, James Cagney, George c Scott, Mickey Rooney or Spencer Tracy movies as much as others do. I find them boring.
I thought the movie was bit slow in places but it was ok. I saw it some years ago. I watched him as a kid in his role as Cheyenne in the TV series. He played in a ton of movies in supporting roles. I think he died fairly recently.

Of the actors listed, I obviously like Bogart, don't care for most of Cagney's earlier movies. Don't like Mickey Rooney in any his movies. I think Tracey was a good actor particularly in Bad Day at Black Rock. George C. Scott made one great movie, Patton. He was born for the role. His supporting role in Dr. Strangeglove was hilarious. I recently saw Scott in Islands in Stream, a really good Hemingway novel but a rather boring movie. I lived in the Bahamas for two years as a teen so it did bring back some good memories.

Last edited:

Moral or the story in fort dobbs is that it’s ok to murder one man for his possessions if it will save the lives of 100 people.

The guy with all the guns said his life savings were in those guns and he was going to sell them. The main character said he’s taking them one way or the other then they shot it out.

Is that right? This movie was good but sends a horrible message. I would have killed him too to save every person in that fort but is this right?
I'm old fashion when it comes to movies. I want to see the good guy win, good to triumph over evil, and the hero to ride off into the sunset with the girl. However, I have seen some great movies that went totally in the opposite direction.

I'm old fashion when it comes to movies. I want to see the good guy win, good to triumph over evil, and the hero to ride off into the sunset with the girl. However, I have seen some great movies that went totally in the opposite direction.
I’m taping a bunch of Greta Garbo movies. I want to see what she’s all about. I don’t even know what she looks like. If I ever saw her in a movie it was over 20 years ago. Tcm is running a Garbo marathon

Gentle Annie staring James craig and Donna reed and Harry Morgan but my favorite character is Marjorie main. She played that character so well in so many movies. Always the matriarch of the family. Ma. She always played Ma.

I’m taping a bunch of Greta Garbo movies. I want to see what she’s all about. I don’t even know what she looks like. If I ever saw her in a movie it was over 20 years ago. Tcm is running a Garbo marathon
I like Greta Garbo. Queen Christina is suppose to be her best. I'll have to check TCM since I have never seen it. Grand Hotel is probably one her most watched movies. Although I didn't like it that much. One of her most famous lines from the movie is "I want to be alone", not because of what it meant in the movie but because of what it meant in her life.

Garbo avoided social functions, preferring to spend her time alone or with friends. She never signed autographs or answered fan mail, and rarely gave interviews. Nor did she ever appear at Oscar ceremonies, even when she was nominated a half dozen times. She won 3 academy awards for best actress but never appeared to accept them. Her aversion to publicity and the press was undeniably genuine, and exasperating to the studio. In an interview in 1928, she explained that her desire for privacy began when she was a child, stating "as early as I can remember, I have wanted to be alone. I detest crowds, don't like many people." When she retired at age 43, she went into seclusion. She had a New York 5th Ave Apt. but few people ever saw her. She would walk the streets of New York at night in disguise. Naturally, there was always an intense interest of the press. There were always pictures appearing in the press of what was supposed to be Garbo. She died as she had lived, in seclusion in 1990 after 42 years in retirement. Very little is known about personal life which is the way she wanted it.

Last edited:

I like Greta Garbo. Queen Christina is suppose to be her best. I'll have to check TCM since I have never seen it. Grand Hotel is probably one her most watched movies. Although I didn't like it that much. One of her most famous lines from the movie is "I want to be alone", not because of what it meant in the movie but because of what it meant in her life.

Garbo avoided social functions, preferring to spend her time alone or with friends. She never signed autographs or answered fan mail, and rarely gave interviews. Nor did she ever appear at Oscar ceremonies, even when she was nominated a half dozen times. She won 3 academy awards for best actress but never appeared to accept them. Her aversion to publicity and the press was undeniably genuine, and exasperating to the studio. In an interview in 1928, she explained that her desire for privacy began when she was a child, stating "as early as I can remember, I have wanted to be alone. I detest crowds, don't like many people." When she retired at age 43, she went into seclusion. She had a New York 5th Ave Apt. but few people ever saw her. She would walk the streets of New York at night in disguise. Naturally, there was always an intense interest of the press. There were always pictures appearing in the press of what was supposed to be Garbo. She died as she had lived, in seclusion in 1990 after 42 years in retirement. Very little is known about personal life which is the way she wanted it.
Im recording it this Friday. 17th century queen. I love these back in Time movies. I love to see how people lived back then so simple even the rich didn’t have ice or air conditioning.

I agree with her. Screw fame and attention. Rich and famous people are jealous of people who are rich and not famous. And visa versa I’m sure. People always want what they don’t have. Have privacy want attention. Have attention suddenly you want privacy.

I bet she’s beautiful. I’ll let you know what I think about this movie and the others I watch. It’ll be more interesting now that I know a little about her history.

Don’t they usually stop getting roles in their 40s? Was she always beautiful even as she got older? Was she married? Did she have kids? Why live in New York if you want to be private? Weird.

Marty released in 1955, appears to be a really boring movie. No one gets shot, beaten, or threaten. There are no chase scenes, no abductions, no monsters, and no bombs. There is no damsel in destress and no hero to save her. However, the characters are so real and this simple boy meets girl story is so close to real life, it turns out to be an engrossing story that every audience can identify with.

Marty (Ernest Borgnine) is a middle aged Italian American butcher who lives with his mother in the Bronx. He’s constantly badgered by the family to find a good girl and settle down. However, Marty has resigned himself to a life of bachelorhood due to his social awkwardness and lack of prospects. So Marty spends every Saturday night with the guys, drinking beers, watching the girls, and talking about the same old romantic encounters from their past that probably never occurred.

After being harassed by his mother, Marty goes to a dance and connects with Clara, a plain jane school teacher who is quietly weeping after being abandoned by her blind date. They spend the evening together dancing, walking the busy streets, and talking in a diner. Marty eagerly spills out his life story and ambitions. He brings Clara to his house, and they awkwardly express their mutual attraction, shortly before his mother returns. Marty takes her home by bus, promising to call her at 2:30 the next afternoon, after Mass.

Meanwhile, his cranky, busybody widowed Aunt Catherine moves in to live with Marty and his mother. She warns his mother that Marty will soon marry and cast her aside. Fearing that Marty's romance could spell her abandonment, his mother belittles Clara. Marty's friends, with an undercurrent of envy, deride Clara for her plainness and try to convince him to forget her and to remain with them, unmarried, in their fading youth. Harangued into submission by the pull of his friends, Marty doesn't call Clara.

So that night, Marty is back in the same lonely rut. Marty realizes that he is giving up a woman whom he not only likes, but who makes him happy. Over the objections of his friends, he dashes to a phone booth to call Clara, who sits gloomily watching television with her parents. When his friend asks what he's doing, Marty bursts out saying:

“You don't like her, my mother don't like her, she's a dog and I'm a fat, ugly man! Well, all I know is I had a good time last night! I'm gonna have a good time tonight! If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees and I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me! If we make a party on New Year's, I got a date for that party. You don't like her? That's too bad”

Marty closes the phone boot’s door when Clara answers the phone. In the last line of the film, he tentatively says, "Hello ... Hello, Clara?"

Marty was described as the biggest little movie of the year. It won 8 academy awards. It might not be your kind of movie but it’s certain one of the best movies of its kind.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Im recording it this Friday. 17th century queen. I love these back in Time movies. I love to see how people lived back then so simple even the rich didn’t have ice or air conditioning.

I agree with her. Screw fame and attention. Rich and famous people are jealous of people who are rich and not famous. And visa versa I’m sure. People always want what they don’t have. Have privacy want attention. Have attention suddenly you want privacy.

I bet she’s beautiful. I’ll let you know what I think about this movie and the others I watch. It’ll be more interesting now that I know a little about her history.

Don’t they usually stop getting roles in their 40s? Was she always beautiful even as she got older? Was she married? Did she have kids? Why live in New York if you want to be private? Weird.
No, she never married and had no children. She probably retired in New York because the only place she lived in the US was in New York and Hollywood and she hated Hollywood. I wonder why she did not return to Sweden.

In those days, unless an actress could maintain her looks or adapt to more mature roles, she was washed up in her 40's. However, many manage to get roles in their fifties. Garbo had such a following, she probably could have made movies till the day she died.

Here's a piece about her life.

She was born Greta Lovisa Gustafsson in Stockholm. Her mother worked in a factory and father was a day labor. The family lived in the worst slum in the city. She had an older brother and a younger sister. To say the family was poor was an understatement. Often there was little no food to eat.

Garbo was a shy daydreamer as a child. She hated school and preferred to play alone. Yet she was an imaginative child and a natural leader who became interested in theater at an early age.

In the winter of 1919, the Spanish flu spread throughout Stockholm, and Garbo's father, to whom she was very close, became ill. He began missing work and eventually lost his job. Garbo stayed at home looking after him and taking him to the hospital for weekly treatments. He died in 1920 when she was 14 years old.

Garbo first worked at age 13 as a soap-lather girl in a barber's shop but eventually, on the advice of her friends, applied for, and accepted, a position in the a department store, running errands and working in the millinery department. Before long, she began modeling hats for the store's catalogs, which led to a more lucrative job as a fashion model. In late 1920, a director of film commercials for the store began casting Garbo in roles advertising women's clothing. Her first commercial premiered in December 1920 and was followed by others the following year. Thus began Garbo's cinematic career. In 1922, Garbo caught the attention of director Erik Arthur Petschler who gave her a part in his short comedy, Peter the Tramp.

Her cinematic career in commercial silent films began in Sweden. She had a number bit parts but finally landed several leading role which lead to other pictures. She was discovered by Louise B Meyer who suggested she come to America. So she came to New York at his request thus beginning her career in silent movies in the US. Silent movies were a good fit since she did not speak a word of English.

After 6 months without hearing anything from Meyer, she went to Hollywood. After weeks of trying to make contact with the studio she was on verge of returning to Sweden, when she got a screen test which was described as electrifying. English lessons, fixing her teeth, and body toning began immediately. Thus began her career which lead to one hit film after another.
Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

Last edited:

No, she never married and had no children. She probably retired in New York because the only place she lived in the US was in New York and Hollywood and she hated Hollywood. I wonder why she did not return to Sweden.

In those days, unless an actress could maintain her looks or adapt to more mature roles, she was washed up in her 40's. However, many manage to get roles in their fifties. Garbo had such a following, she probably could have made movies till the day she died.

She was born Greta Lovisa Gustafsson in Stockholm. Her mother worked in a factory and father was a day labor. The family lived in the worst slum in the city. She had an older brother and a younger sister. To say the family was poor was an understatement. Often there was little no food to eat.

Garbo was a shy daydreamer as a child. She hated school and preferred to play alone. Yet she was an imaginative child and a natural leader who became interested in theater at an early age.

In the winter of 1919, the Spanish flu spread throughout Stockholm, and Garbo's father, to whom she was very close, became ill. He began missing work and eventually lost his job. Garbo stayed at home looking after him and taking him to the hospital for weekly treatments. He died in 1920 when she was 14 years old.

Garbo first worked at age 13 as a soap-lather girl in a barber's shop but eventually, on the advice of her friends, applied for, and accepted, a position in the a department store, running errands and working in the millinery department. Before long, she began modeling hats for the store's catalogs, which led to a more lucrative job as a fashion model. In late 1920, a director of film commercials for the store began casting Garbo in roles advertising women's clothing. Her first commercial premiered in December 1920 and was followed by others the following year. Thus began Garbo's cinematic career. In 1922, Garbo caught the attention of director Erik Arthur Petschler who gave her a part in his short comedy, Peter the Tramp.

Her cinematic career in commercial silent films began in Sweden. She had a number bit parts but finally landed several leading role which lead to other pictures. She was discovered by Louise B Meyer who suggested she come to America. So she came to New York at his request thus beginning her career in silent movies in the US. Silent movies were a good fit since she did not speak a word of English.

After 6 months without hearing anything from Meyer, she went to Hollywood. After weeks of trying to make contact with the studio she was on verge of returning to Sweden, when she got a screen test which was described as electrifying. English lessons, fixing her teeth, and body toning began immediately. Thus began her career which lead to one hit film after another.
Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

I want to believe she was a normal happy woman not a tormented hermit.

Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

I'm sure millions of others wish the same thing. The real truth about Garbo will never be known. Whether her self imposed isolation from the public was due to a horrible childhood, a failed romance with John Gilbert, a secret love for another actress, or just the simple desire to escape the eyes of the world. In one of her rare interviews she proclaimed, "I never said I want to be alone. I said I want to be left alone. There is a huge difference." Garbo was not a recluse, she just hide herself from the public. She had a number of close friends which included Marlene Dietrich, Debra Kerr, David Niven, and Lilli Palmer.

Marty released in 1955, appears to be a really boring movie. No one gets shot, beaten, or threaten. There are no chase scenes, no abductions, no monsters, and no bombs. There is no damsel in destress and no hero to save her. However, the characters are so real and this simple boy meets girl story is so close to real life, it turns out to be an engrossing story that every audience can identify with.

Marty (Ernest Borgnine) is a middle aged Italian American butcher who lives with his mother in the Bronx. He’s constantly badgered by the family to find a good girl and settle down. However, Marty has resigned himself to a life of bachelorhood due to his social awkwardness and lack of prospects. So Marty spends every Saturday night with the guys, drinking beers, watching the girls, and talking about the same old romantic encounters from their past that probably never occurred.

After being harassed by his mother, Marty goes to a dance and connects with Clara, a plain jane school teacher who is quietly weeping after being abandoned by her blind date. They spend the evening together dancing, walking the busy streets, and talking in a diner. Marty eagerly spills out his life story and ambitions. He brings Clara to his house, and they awkwardly express their mutual attraction, shortly before his mother returns. Marty takes her home by bus, promising to call her at 2:30 the next afternoon, after Mass.

Meanwhile, his cranky, busybody widowed Aunt Catherine moves in to live with Marty and his mother. She warns his mother that Marty will soon marry and cast her aside. Fearing that Marty's romance could spell her abandonment, his mother belittles Clara. Marty's friends, with an undercurrent of envy, deride Clara for her plainness and try to convince him to forget her and to remain with them, unmarried, in their fading youth. Harangued into submission by the pull of his friends, Marty doesn't call Clara.

So that night, Marty is back in the same lonely rut. Marty realizes that he is giving up a woman whom he not only likes, but who makes him happy. Over the objections of his friends, he dashes to a phone booth to call Clara, who sits gloomily watching television with her parents. When his friend asks what he's doing, Marty bursts out saying:

“You don't like her, my mother don't like her, she's a dog and I'm a fat, ugly man! Well, all I know is I had a good time last night! I'm gonna have a good time tonight! If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees and I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me! If we make a party on New Year's, I got a date for that party. You don't like her? That's too bad”

Marty closes the phone boot’s door when Clara answers the phone. In the last line of the film, he tentatively says, "Hello ... Hello, Clara?"

Marty was described as the biggest little movie of the year. It won 8 academy awards. It might not be your kind of movie but it’s certain one of the best movies of its kind.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

I love this movie! It's heartbreakingly beautiful. It's Borgnine's best performance of his career, imo.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

For some reason, this TV Forum seems to not get much activity, why I'm not sure.

?
because we are busy watching tv? (a sad attempt at a joke, i'm afraid)

I still enjoy watching old films and, though I still enjoy my old time favorites that I've seen many times (like the THIN MAN series) I REALLY ENJOY being "turned on to" some old film that I've never seen before!

Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

I'm sure millions of others wish the same thing. The real truth about Garbo will never be known. Whether her self imposed isolation from the public was due to a horrible childhood, a failed romance with John Gilbert, a secret love for another actress, or just the simple desire to escape the eyes of the world. In one of her rare interviews she proclaimed, "I never said I want to be alone. I said I want to be left alone. There is a huge difference." Garbo was not a recluse, she just hide herself from the public. She had a number of close friends which included Marlene Dietrich, Debra Kerr, David Niven, and Lilli Palmer.

She was probably fine then. I'm sure the paparatsi were annoying back then too. And really most of us only have a handful of really good friends right? Anyone else is just a fan who wants your autograph or something from you. I think it's hard for women who have money to fall in love with someone unless that someone has just as much money as you do. And some women aren't really that sexual so don't want a man in their lives. Their friends are all they need.

Maybe we are just reading too much into it. I can't wait to see if I think she is all that hot and a good actress.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

I love this movie! It's heartbreakingly beautiful. It's Borgnine's best performance of his career, imo.

It doesn't take a 100 million dollars and the top stars to make a good movie. All it takes is a good story, a good script, capable actors, and good direction to produce a movie that will bring a tear to the eyes of viewers and put a smile on their face as they walk out of the door. And Marty did just that.

"Marty" is a 1953 television play by Paddy Chayefsky. It was telecast live in May 1953, on The Philco Television Playhouse. Rod Steiger was in title role as Marty.

Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

She was probably fine then. I'm sure the paparatsi were annoying back then too. And really most of us only have a handful of really good friends right? Anyone else is just a fan who wants your autograph or something from you. I think it's hard for women who have money to fall in love with someone unless that someone has just as much money as you do. And some women aren't really that sexual so don't want a man in their lives. Their friends are all they need.

Maybe we are just reading too much into it. I can't wait to see if I think she is all that hot and a good actress.

Garbo is probably the most charismatic actress that has every come to Hollywood. People say it's her beautiful expressive eyes. I think she is great actress but I never thought her movies were that great, good yes but not great.

I think producers often rely to much on star power. A major star may guarantee success at the box office but to make a great movie it takes a lot of other ingredients. The fact that successful movies are gauged by their box office receipts accounts for the fact that we only have a few hundred truly great movies out the hundreds of thousands that have been made.

Last edited:
One of the funnier movies of the 1960's is "Dr. Strangeglove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb". It's a bit dated but just as funny.
I think this is a link to the complete movie

Forum List

Back