Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Do you watch svengoolie? He plays old movies like the original Dracula. It was so funny the little guy went to the castle and he was so unsuspecting and the scene seemed so gay to me even up until the scene where the guy was all of the sudden sleeping and Dracula was about to bite his neck.

I thought maybe back then the people wouldn't have seen it as gay but they did. After the movie came out executives decided from then on Dracula would only attack women.

It really did seem like Dracula was flirting with the guy. If it weren't Dracula and two guys were having that weird and awkward conversation you'd think they were gay. Then it looked like Dracula was going in for a kiss not a bite. Lol

I have never heard of Svengoolie.

I love the original "Dracula" film.

Where have you been Bobo? I haven't noticed you around too much, or perhaps you've been in threads that I wasn't in.

Yes I've been a two issue or topic guy lately. Religion and trump.

Svengoolie is on an obscure free channel. Channel 4.3. Svengoolie is a cheesy host dressed like Dracula. Remember sir graves? Or Elvira? Did she show scary movies?

Remember Ted Kennedy or bill Kennedy? I hated the movies he played but I was a kid in the 70s. I'd probably love them now.

Elvira was the horror film version of Mystery Science Theater 3000. lol

Here is a REAL GOOD resource for old films available online for free. You can download them directly. Lots of GREAT films from the past...

The Actors, Characters and Directors

I personally haven't watched television in over 5 years. I download everything or watch online. I have about a terabyte of old movies archived and a ton of DVDs. About the only thing I don't really care for are silent films and subtitles. I have to be in the mood for crime drama or film noir type stuff. My MAIN enjoyment is old British comedy.... Not Monty Python... OLDER.

A recent discovery, someone I had never heard of before about a year ago, is Will Hay. His movies are priceless gems of comedy gold. Especially his work with Moore Marriott and Graham Moffatt. Together, they are in league with the Marx Brothers or any other comedy team you can name. The comedy is timeless and you can tell they had a remarkable influence on those who followed. Many of their skits have a familiarity to them.

Oh, Mr. Porter! is probably the best of the Will Hay movies.

Windbag the Sailor is another outstanding offering.

Another great from that era is George Formby. He was a famous uke player and comedian of the times and the first time I watched his films it kept seeming like his songs were so familiar sounding and I couldn't place where I had heard these melodies... it bothered me and I really started to do some research into him. Come to find out, he was a heavy influence on George Harrison and much of his songwriting.

All of Formby's movies follow the same general theme. He is the gormless underdog who ends up with the girl in the end. There are always a couple of songs with the uke. Many of these were made during the war years so they have a military theme... he's in the army or navy, etc. Here is one where he plays just a handyman who is an artist. Very good movie:

Much Too Shy featuring his co-star, Jimmy Clitheroe. Jimmy had that 'disease' which caused him to look like a child almost his entire life. In this film he plays Formby's little brother who is supposedly about 12 years old... the actor is actually older than the leading lady who is in her 20s.

Another interesting note: Many of Formby's songs were banned by the BBC for being "too suggestive" ....it's really interesting because they sound so innocent by today's standards. He just had a way of 'double entendre' that was sometimes hard to catch.

Talk of invasion, she wasn't afraid, she winked her eye at me and murmured "come on, invade!" -lyric from "Get Cracking"​

Finally, The Huggetts movies... (there were 3) This is the first, Here Come the Huggetts featuring a young Petula Clark.

Last edited:

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

My wife loves all the old 40's, 50's, and early 60's movies. She is particularly fond of Cary Grant. She just loves his sarcasm.

Me, if a movie isn't R-rated, it's hardly worth watching. However, for the good stuff (Star Trek, Star Wars, and the Marvel movies, and other assorted greats -- I tolerate their lack of boobage....:biggrin:

I will say, however; Deadpool was surprisingly delicious as I love Me some Marena Baccarin, even if she wasn't full frontal. Ha!

I never read any of the comic books so I do enjoy the Marvel stuff and I like the X-men franchise too.

Did you see Brimstone where Dakota fanning plays a prostitute? I love the scene where she's getting railed doggy style. You'll never see Betty Davis getting railed doggy style

What? Link please.....:biggrin:

You got to see the movie.

Thanks for the resource Boss. For the last few weeks I've been hitting YouTube more than Netflix and Amazon Prime but it has been hit-or-miss.

Grief Street (1931) –

This one is a who done it.

It has no opening credits listing "the players" but I spotted one actor that I recognized, his performance had me saying to myself, “Good Grief, Street”. (9:03 to 10:50 mark in the above).​

Radio Cab Murder (1954) -

An import from England.​

The Mob (1951) -

Broderick Crawford as an uncover cop hitting the docks as a longshoreman. Don't buy the Charles Bronson line, he wasn't even credited in the movie and if he would have been they would have listed him as Charles Buchinsky

The Flim Flam Man (1967)

I searched for this George C Scott movie for years-and-years and was never able to find it until about a month ago.​

Last edited:

Because fuck Hollywood, that's why. :p

Thanks for the resource Boss. For the last few weeks I've been hitting YouTube more than Netflix and Amazon Prime but it has been hit-or-miss.

Grief Street (1931) –

This one is a who done it.

It has no opening credits listing "the players" but I spotted one actor that I recognized, his performance had me saying to myself, “Good Grief, Street”. (9:03 to 10:50 mark in the above).​

Radio Cab Murder (1954) -

An import from England.​

The Mob (1951) -

Broderick Crawford as an uncover cop hitting the docks as a longshoreman. Don't buy the Charles Bronson line, he wasn't even credited in the movie and if he would have been they would have listed him as Charles Buchinsky

The Flim Flam Man (1967)

I searched for this George C Scott movie for years-and-years and was never able to find it until about a month ago.​

"It has no opening credits listing "the players" but I spotted one actor that I recognized, his performance had me saying to myself, “Good Grief, Street”. (9:03 to 10:50 mark in the above)."

That actor is Walter Brennan.

"Grief Street"

Cast
Grief Street - Wikipedia

I like all these Pre-Code films, I've never seen "Grief Street" before so I'll watch it, thanks.

Pre-Code Hollywood - Wikipedia

Do you watch svengoolie? He plays old movies like the original Dracula. It was so funny the little guy went to the castle and he was so unsuspecting and the scene seemed so gay to me even up until the scene where the guy was all of the sudden sleeping and Dracula was about to bite his neck.

I thought maybe back then the people wouldn't have seen it as gay but they did. After the movie came out executives decided from then on Dracula would only attack women.

It really did seem like Dracula was flirting with the guy. If it weren't Dracula and two guys were having that weird and awkward conversation you'd think they were gay. Then it looked like Dracula was going in for a kiss not a bite. Lol

I have never heard of Svengoolie.

I love the original "Dracula" film.

Where have you been Bobo? I haven't noticed you around too much, or perhaps you've been in threads that I wasn't in.

Yes I've been a two issue or topic guy lately. Religion and trump.

Svengoolie is on an obscure free channel. Channel 4.3. Svengoolie is a cheesy host dressed like Dracula. Remember sir graves? Or Elvira? Did she show scary movies?

Remember Ted Kennedy or bill Kennedy? I hated the movies he played but I was a kid in the 70s. I'd probably love them now.

Svengoolie is a wanna-be Dr. Paul Bearer. ;)

I wondered that many times and now I think I have the answer. Young people who are the primary movie goers today are basically interested in the here and now. What occurred before they were born is history and what occurred 50 or 60 years ago is ancient history. If the movie isn't made for modern audiences, it's a tough sell. Secondly, it's difficult for them to relate to many of the themes and events depicted in older movies. For example in Guys and Dolls, my grandson couldn't understand why the police let people dance in the street. A pirate movie was just plain boring to the kids because the sword play seemed silly. My grand daughter couldn't understand why a teenage girl didn't just ask a guy to the prom. Lastly, many older movies are overacted by current standards and many contain dialog that young people don't really understand for example:
"Someone dropped a dime on him"
"You sound like a broken record"
"Don't touch that dial"
"One lump or two"
"Let's head'em off at the pass"
"Those rabbit ears don't cut it"
"Who's on first"
"Get while gettings good. It's 23 skidoo for me.

I hate to say it but except for some of the timeless classics, most old movies are for old folks like me.

I watch old films far more than newer films. Among my favorites are Little Foxes, Quo Vadis, Ride Lonesome...

I've seen some of the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes stuff. I'd read the books first, which sometimes ruins the film version, in this case, it did. That said, since this is the TV forum, there's that 1980's series...it seems to me that Jeremy Brett was a very good Sherlock Holmes.
Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone are IMHO, the best Sherlock Homes.

35 mm film projectors are hard to find. Let alone the reels. I just got through watching "Saharah" with Bogart, I really enjoyed that. On broadcast TV. And there was a movie called "Suddenly" with Sinatra as a presidential assassin.
Sahara is one of the better Bogie movies. However, I like Casablanca and Key Largo better.

"Kiss of Death" made in 1947 starring Richard Widmark, Victor Mature, Brian Donlevy, Coleen Gray and Karl Malden and directed by Henry Hathaway.

This was Richard Widmark's first film, his character Tommy Udo is one of the great psychopaths of Cinema and Widmark plays Tommy Udo with great and chilling effect.

Kiss of Death (1947 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and thirty nine minutes.

35 mm film projectors are hard to find. Let alone the reels. I just got through watching "Saharah" with Bogart, I really enjoyed that. On broadcast TV. And there was a movie called "Suddenly" with Sinatra as a presidential assassin.
Sahara is one of the better Bogie movies. However, I like Casablanca and Key Largo better.

My favourite Humphrey Bogart film is "Key Largo", I also like "The Roaring Twenties" (1939), "High Sierra" (1941), "The Maltese Falcon" (1941), "The Big Sleep" (1946), "Dead Reckoning" (1947), "The Two Mrs. Carrolls"(1947), "The Enforcer" (1951) and "The Harder They Fall" (1956) which was Bogart's last film.

My favourite Humphrey Bogart film is "Key Largo", I also like "The Roaring Twenties" (1939), "High Sierra" (1941), "The Maltese Falcon" (1941), "The Big Sleep" (1946), "Dead Reckoning" (1947), "The Two Mrs. Carrolls"(1947), "The Enforcer" (1951) and "The Harder They Fall" (1956) which was Bogart's last film.
I love "The Maltese Falcon" too! I've the DVD :D

Call Northside 777 - Jimmy Stewart. Interesting and based on a true story.

"Call Northside 777" is a brilliant film, another very good film directed by Henry Hathaway, Richard Conte is also excellent in it.

The film is based on the real life case of Majczek and Marcinkiewicz in 1932:

Majczek and Marcinkiewicz - Wikipedia

Call Northside 777 - Wikipedia

"Call Northside 777" made in 1948 with James Stewart, Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb and Helen Walker and directed by Henry Hathaway.

Here is the full film, if anyone wants to watch it, it's highly recommended that you do, the duration of the film is one hour and forty six minutes.

"Brute Force" made in 1947 and starring Burt Lancaster, Hume Cronyn, Charles Bickford and Yvonne De Carlo and directed by Jules Dassin.

Brute Force (1947 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty eight minutes.

"Dear Murderer" also made in 1947 and starring Dennis Price, Greta Gynt, Eric Portman and Jack Warner and directed by Arthur Crabtree.

Dear Murderer - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty minutes.

Another good Humphrey Bogart film.

"Deadline - U.S.A" made in 1952 and starring of course Humphrey Bogart, Kim Hunter, Ethel Barrymore, Ed Begley and Paul Stewart and directed by Richard Brooks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadline_–_U.S.A.

Here is the film trailer.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and twenty seven minutes.

"And Then There Were None" made in 1945 and starring Barry Fitzgerald, Walter Huston, Roland Young, June Duprez, Louis Hayward and C. Aubrey Smith and directed by René Clair.

And Then There Were None (1945 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the original trailer.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty six minutes.

Forum List

Back