Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Because Hollywood sucks. Last decent movie I saw was probably 9 years ago.

They just suck, plain and simple.

Thank you, Lucy. Nice of you to take the time to post these "oldies," some of which have a charm of their own.

I am particularly fond of all the original Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. I find the recent attempts to capitalize on the appeal of these originals with new technicolor versions featuring Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey (!) as Sherlock to be as comparable as tarnished brass and polished gold.

If you like old movies, do you have access to TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? Because they show nothing but oldies.

"Thank you, Lucy. Nice of you to take the time to post these "oldies," some of which have a charm of their own."

I love old films, I think they have a charm and a sophistication and a depth that new films not only don't have, but cannot have.

"I am particularly fond of all the original Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. I find the recent attempts to capitalize on the appeal of these originals with new technicolor versions featuring Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey (!) as Sherlock to be as comparable as tarnished brass and polished gold."

I like the Sherlock Holmes films with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, they are Holmes and Watson, I've not seen the Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey ones you refer to, I don't think I will because as I say Rathbone and Bruce are Holmes and Watson.

Two of my favourite Sherlock Holmes films with Rathbone and Bruce are "The House of Fear" made in 1945, the full film, the duration is one hour and nine minutes.

Also "Terror By Night" made in 1946, the full film, the duration is fifty nine minutes.

If you like old movies, do you have access to TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? Because they show nothing but oldies.

This I think is similar to TNT Film, when I was in America I think I saw TCM, also in Norway when I have visited Mr. Lucy's family there is TCM, most of the old films I remember seem to be Warners Bros. and MGM, I don't think any Paramount, Columbia etc.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Because Hollywood sucks. Last decent movie I saw was probably 9 years ago.

They just suck, plain and simple.

What is referred to as Old Hollywood was as different to Hollyweird as Earth is to Mars, I think from say 1926-1956 was the greatest of Old Hollywood, so many excellent films made with brilliant actors and actresses.

easter_zpsvobyzowj.png

On Friday night I watched "He Walked By Night" made in 1948 and starring Richard Basehart, Scott Brady, Whit Bissell and Jack Webb and directed by Alfred L. Werker.

He Walked by Night - Wikipedia

Here is the full film in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and eighteen minutes.

Last night Saturday, I watched "The Big Combo" made in 1955 and starring Richard Conte, Cornel Wilde, Brian Donlevy, Jean Wallace, Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman and directed by Joseph H. Lewis.

The Big Combo - Wikipedia

Here is the full film in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and twenty seven minutes.

Thank you Lucy! I've already seen "He walked by night" but I didn't know anything about "The Big Combo".
Now I'm gonna watch it :biggrin:

"The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" made in 1946 and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, Kirk Douglas and Judith Anderson and directed by Lewis Milestone.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - Wikipedia

Here is the full film in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and fifty one minutes.

"They Made Me A Fugitive", this is an exceptionally good English film noir, made in 1947 and starring Trevor Howard, Sally Gray, Rene Ray and Griffith Jones and directed by Alberto Cavalcanti.

They Made Me a Fugitive - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and forty minutes. It is named on YouTube "I Became A Criminal" this is the American name for this film, but it's official title is "They Made Me A Fugitive"

I watched this film the other night "Johnny Apollo" made in 1940 and starring Tyrone Power looking as ever ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS AND DELICIOUS
heart%20beating.gif
*Sigh*, Dorothy Lamour, Edward Arnold, Lloyd Nolan and Lionel Atwill and directed by Henry Hathaway.

Johnny Apollo (film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and thirty four minutes.

The other night I watched "Hell Is A City" made in 1960 and starring Stanley Baker, John Crawford, Donald Pleasence, Maxine Audley, Billie Whitelaw and Vanda Godsell and directed by Val Guest.

Hell Is a City - Wikipedia

Here is the original trailer.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty two minutes.

The internet killed the video star.

My wife loves all the old 40's, 50's, and early 60's movies. She is particularly fond of Cary Grant. She just loves his sarcasm.

Me, if a movie isn't R-rated, it's hardly worth watching. However, for the good stuff (Star Trek, Star Wars, and the Marvel movies, and other assorted greats -- I tolerate their lack of boobage....:biggrin:

I will say, however; Deadpool was surprisingly delicious as I love Me some Marena Baccarin, even if she wasn't full frontal. Ha!

I never read any of the comic books so I do enjoy the Marvel stuff and I like the X-men franchise too.

The other night I watched "23 Paces To Baker Street" made in 1956 and starring Van Johnson, Vera Miles, Cecil Parker, Maurice Denham and Liam Redmond and directed by Henry Hathaway.

23 Paces to Baker Street - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and thirty eight minutes.

Do you watch svengoolie? He plays old movies like the original Dracula. It was so funny the little guy went to the castle and he was so unsuspecting and the scene seemed so gay to me even up until the scene where the guy was all of the sudden sleeping and Dracula was about to bite his neck.

I thought maybe back then the people wouldn't have seen it as gay but they did. After the movie came out executives decided from then on Dracula would only attack women.

It really did seem like Dracula was flirting with the guy. If it weren't Dracula and two guys were having that weird and awkward conversation you'd think they were gay. Then it looked like Dracula was going in for a kiss not a bite. Lol

My wife loves all the old 40's, 50's, and early 60's movies. She is particularly fond of Cary Grant. She just loves his sarcasm.

Me, if a movie isn't R-rated, it's hardly worth watching. However, for the good stuff (Star Trek, Star Wars, and the Marvel movies, and other assorted greats -- I tolerate their lack of boobage....:biggrin:

I will say, however; Deadpool was surprisingly delicious as I love Me some Marena Baccarin, even if she wasn't full frontal. Ha!

I never read any of the comic books so I do enjoy the Marvel stuff and I like the X-men franchise too.

Did you see Brimstone where Dakota fanning plays a prostitute? I love the scene where she's getting railed doggy style. You'll never see Betty Davis getting railed doggy style

Do you watch svengoolie? He plays old movies like the original Dracula. It was so funny the little guy went to the castle and he was so unsuspecting and the scene seemed so gay to me even up until the scene where the guy was all of the sudden sleeping and Dracula was about to bite his neck.

I thought maybe back then the people wouldn't have seen it as gay but they did. After the movie came out executives decided from then on Dracula would only attack women.

It really did seem like Dracula was flirting with the guy. If it weren't Dracula and two guys were having that weird and awkward conversation you'd think they were gay. Then it looked like Dracula was going in for a kiss not a bite. Lol

I have never heard of Svengoolie.

I love the original "Dracula" film.

Where have you been Bobo? I haven't noticed you around too much, or perhaps you've been in threads that I wasn't in.

I have never heard of Svengoolie.

I love the original "Dracula" film.

Where have you been Bobo? I haven't noticed you around too much, or perhaps you've been in threads that I wasn't in.

Yes I've been a two issue or topic guy lately. Religion and trump.

Svengoolie is on an obscure free channel. Channel 4.3. Svengoolie is a cheesy host dressed like Dracula. Remember sir graves? Or Elvira? Did she show scary movies?

Remember Ted Kennedy or bill Kennedy? I hated the movies he played but I was a kid in the 70s. I'd probably love them now.

I like a lot of old films. As a kid, my dad used to show me the old, black and white King Kong, Clash of the Titans, Charlie Chaplin movies, etc.

As I got older, I discovered movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, Chinatown, On the Waterfront, etc.

The one old film I really don't care for is Citizen Kane. I totally understand its importance in cinema history and how groundbreaking it was when it came out, but so many movies have done what it does better since then that I don't care for the movie.

IMO, the 70's was possibly the best decade for films whereas current TV is the best TV has ever been.

Did you see Brimstone where Dakota fanning plays a prostitute? I love the scene where she's getting railed doggy style. You'll never see Betty Davis getting railed doggy style

What? Link please.....:biggrin:

Forum List

Back