Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

"Now and Forever" made in 1934 and starring Gary Cooper, Carole Lombard, Shirley Temple, Sir Guy Standing and Charlotte Granville and directed by Henry Hathaway.

Now and Forever (1934 film) - Wikipedia

Gary Cooper looking gorgeous, Carole Lombard looking gorgeous, it's a very good film, don't let Shirley Temple being in it put you off, it's not a musical, Shirley doesn't go through the film at random moments singing things like "The Good Ship Lollipop", she only sings one song which thankfully is mercifully short.

I hate Shirley Temple films, I hate musicals in general. "Now and Forever" is completely a Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard film.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and twenty one minutes.

I adore Carole Lombard films, it's a tragedy that she died so young at the age of 33 years old and in such a horrific way.

This below is 16mm sans sound footage of the TWA Flight 3 plane crash aftermath, filmed on Mount Potosi, Nevada on the morning of January 17, 1942, the plane crashed into Mount Potosi the night before at approx 7.20PM, instantly killing all 22 people on board including Lombard and her mother Elizabeth Peters.

There is of course no footage of any bodies, but footage of the rescue teams and of body bags being literally pulled with ropes back up Mount Potosi.

The duration of this 16mm footage is five minutes and twenty nine seconds.

Last edited:
2017-05-07-12-42-25--1552720073.jpg

This morning I have been watching The Bulldog Drummond series..
Bulldog-Drummond-Escapes-03.jpg

This is Ray Milland, I think he was only Bulldog Drummond once.

John Howard was Bulldog Drummond many times, Tom Conway (brother of George Sanders) did a few films, Walter Pidgeon was in one later film.

John Howard was Bulldog Drummond many times, Tom Conway (brother of George Sanders) did a few films, Walter Pidgeon was in one later film.
Yes, it ran for many years and had many different actors...The Thin Man series is one of my favorite also...But I leave Commander Cody alone..

I've always thought it was interesting how we distinguish between a "film" and a "movie". You never hear someone ask, "Have you seen the new Batman film?" ;)
Probably because 90% of movies today are digital, yet some directors still prefer film. Star Wars: The force awakens was shot with film.

Ask my 12 year grandson if he has seen the new Batman film and he will likely give you a rather quizzical look.

Yes, it ran for many years and had many different actors...The Thin Man series is one of my favorite also...But I leave Commander Cody alone..

I like "The Thin Man" series, I have a box set of all those films, I love William Powell.

The last two Thin Man films are not as good though, especially "Song of The Thin Man" the very last film.

I like "The Thin Man" series, I have a box set of all those films, I love William Powell.

The last two Thin Man films are not as good though, especially "Song of The Thin Man" the very last film.
It was almost a dozen years since the first one was made, and Powell was sick..He was diagnosed with cancer and going through treatment..

It was almost a dozen years since the first one was made, and Powell was sick..He was diagnosed with cancer and going through treatment..

I was meaning that the last two films were not as good because the scripts, the storyline not as good, but yes there was a gap between the fourth film "Shadow of The Thin Man" in 1941 and the second to last film "The Thin Man Goes Home" in 1945 because Powell was not in good health, he did live until the mid 1980s though.

His son committed suicide in the late 1960s, I think by stabbing himself to death in the shower.

The reason being b/w vs color

I have heard that many times from young people. However, once you start exploring movies, both old and new, you find many films would lose their impact if shot in color and vice versa. It would be hard to imagine, Citizen Kane, The Third Man, Grapes of Wrath, or The Longest Day shot in color. Similarly Gone with the Wind, Star Wars, Raise the Red Lantern, or Moods of Love would loose a lot had they been shot in BW.

I've always thought it was interesting how we distinguish between a "film" and a "movie". You never hear someone ask, "Have you seen the new Batman film?" ;)
Probably because 90% of movies today are digital, yet some directors still prefer film. Star Wars: The force awakens was shot with film.

Ask my 12 year grandson if he has seen the new Batman film and he will likely give you a rather quizzical look.
I don't think that's it at all, this predates digital. It's more of a highbrow thing... films are sophisticated, movies aren't.

I don't think that's it at all, this predates digital. It's more of a highbrow thing... films are sophisticated, movies aren't.
My point is that the word film is an obsolete term with youngsters. As my grandson said, "I think film is something people long ago used in their cell phones to take pictures."

I agree not being digital is not the reason young people reject old movies, although I'm not sure it has anything to do with being sophisticated. I don't see anything sophisticated about most of the westerns and action movies of the 50's and 60's.

Most young people are primarily interested in what is popular in their generation, styles, language, music, movies, and the media. The cinematic technology that is so typical of movies favored by the young today was not available 50 or 60 years ago. Much of the terms, comments, and ideas are of a day long past and most young people do not related to it. The skits in entertainment like Laugh In, Bob Hope Movies, and other comedies, goes right over their head. In really old movies there is much over acting, probably a product of silent movies. To kids, this seems silly. However, that does not mean some young people aren't interested in old movies because they are interested in what has come before them.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

"The Nanny" made in 1965 and starring Bette Davis, James Villiers, Wendy Craig and Jill Bennett and directed by Seth Holt.

The Nanny (1965 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the original trailer.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and twenty nine minutes.

"The Old Dark House" made in 1932 and starring Charles Laughton, Raymond Massey, Melvyn Douglas, Gloria Stuart, Boris Karloff, Ernest Thesiger and Lilian Bond and directed by James Whale.

The Old Dark House - Wikipedia

Here is the original trailer.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and eleven minutes.

Just wondering Lucy Hamilton,you know who this is I assume? did you used to watch this show?

something you have learned today that you never knew about me,thats a good pic of me.I look a lot like him.seriously.:)

MV5BOTc4ODA0NzA4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA4NTc4Mg@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
There are some rankings of films, precisely rankings of "best of..." lists. One of them is top 100 movies according to BBC Culture. Top of them are old films, so you could use this list to look for a good ones.

Here it is:

The 100 greatest American films

100. Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)
99. 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
98. Heaven’s Gate (Michael Cimino, 1980)
97. Gone With the Wind (Victor Fleming, 1939)
96. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
95. Duck Soup (Leo McCarey, 1933)
94. 25th Hour (Spike Lee, 2002)
93. Mean Streets (Martin Scorsese, 1973)
92. The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955)
91. ET: The Extra-Terrestrial (Steven Spielberg, 1982)
90. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
89. In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray, 1950)
88. West Side Story (Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins, 1961)
87. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
86. The Lion King (Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff, 1994)
85. Night of the Living Dead (George A Romero, 1968)
84. Deliverance (John Boorman, 1972)
83. Bringing Up Baby (Howard Hawks, 1938)
82. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)
81. Thelma & Louise (Ridley Scott, 1991)
80. Meet Me in St Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944)
79. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
78. Schindler’s List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
77. Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939)
76. The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
75. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)
74. Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994)
73. Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976)
72. The Shanghai Gesture (Josef von Sternberg, 1941)
71. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis, 1993)
70. The Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli, 1953)
69. Koyaanisqatsi (Godfrey Reggio, 1982)
68. Notorious (Alfred Hitchcock, 1946)
67. Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin, 1936)
66. Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948)
65. The Right Stuff (Philip Kaufman, 1983)
64. Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray, 1954)
63. Love Streams (John Cassavetes, 1984)
62. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)
61. Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)
60. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
59. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Miloš Forman, 1975)
58. The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch, 1940)
57. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen, 1989)
56. Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)
55. The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)
54. Sunset Boulevard (Billy Wilder, 1950)
53. Grey Gardens (Albert and David Maysles, Ellen Hovde and Muffie Meyer, 1975)
52. The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)
51. Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)
50. His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1940)
49. Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978)
48. A Place in the Sun (George Stevens, 1951)
47. Marnie (Alfred Hitchcock, 1964)
46. It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946)
45. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)
44. Sherlock Jr (Buster Keaton, 1924)
43. Letter from an Unknown Woman (Max Ophüls, 1948)
42. Dr Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
41. Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)
40. Meshes of the Afternoon (Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid, 1943)
39. The Birth of a Nation (DW Griffith, 1915)
38. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
37. Imitation of Life (Douglas Sirk, 1959)
36. Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)
35. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944)
34. The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, 1939)
33. The Conversation (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
32. The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges, 1941)
31. A Woman Under the Influence (John Cassavetes, 1974)
30. Some Like It Hot (Billy Wilder, 1959)
29. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
28. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
27. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975)
26. Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, 1978)
25. Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee, 1989)
24. The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)
23. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
22. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924)
21. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)
20. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1990)
19. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
18. City Lights (Charlie Chaplin, 1931)
17. The Gold Rush (Charlie Chaplin, 1925)
16. McCabe & Mrs Miller (Robert Altman, 1971)
15. The Best Years of Our Lives (William Wyler, 1946)
14. Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975)
13. North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959)
12. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
11. The Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles, 1942)
10. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
9. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
8. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
7. Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952)
6. Sunrise (FW Murnau, 1927)
5. The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
3. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
2. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
1. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

The movie that foretold the rise of Donald Trump

FaceInCrowdTrump1454946731.jpg

No, it's not a fictionalize story of Donald Trump but the movie
"A Face In the Crowd" is a Great Movie, it is by far the best acting Andy Griffith has every done. Too bad he wasted his ability on rather trivial pursuits. Made in the 1950's the movie traces the rise to power of a drunken drifter, Lonesome Rhodes. With a cast that includes Patricia Neal, Lee Remick, and Walter Matthau, a screenplay by Bud Shulberg under the direction of Elia Kazam, it has become a little known classic. You may have to search for it, but IMHO, it's worth the time. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 92%.

The movie that foretold the rise of Donald Trump

Forum List

Back