Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Because the older films were about plot and dialog. Today's it's nonstop cartoon action to keep the millennials happy.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

"Haunted Honeymoon" made in 1940 starring Robert Montgomery, Constance Cummings, Robert Newton, Leslie Banks and directed by Arthur B. Woods.

Busman's Honeymoon (film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty nine minutes.

I can only find the full film in this sequence of six segments each in total the duration is fifteen minutes, weird, not sure why, but it's the only version of the full film.

"Haunted Honeymoon" Part 1 of 6:

"Haunted Honeymoon" Part 2 of 6:

"Haunted Honeymoon" Part 3 of 6:

"Haunted Honeymoon" Part 4 of 6:

Haunted Honeymoon 1940 - part 4 of 6

"Haunted Honeymoon" Part 5 of 6:

Haunted Honeymoon 1940 - part 5 of 6

"Haunted Honeymoon" Part 6 of 6:

Haunted Honeymoon 1940 - part 6 of 6

Because the older films were about plot and dialog. Today's it's nonstop cartoon action to keep the millennials happy.

I agree, however I am a Millennial and I've always preferred old films, they have more character, depth, charm and atmosphere.

I do like new films, mainly Art House Films, I hate any Blockbuster type film, those are the sort of cartoon action I think you refer to.

I've also got my youngest brother aged 10 years old interested in old black and white detective films now.

I agree, however I am a Millennial and I've always preferred old films, they have more character, depth, charm and atmosphere.

I do like new films, mainly Art House Films, I hate any Blockbuster type film, those are the sort of cartoon action I think you refer to.

I've also got my youngest brother aged 10 years old interested in old black and white detective films now.

Just bought The General. Silent film by Buster Keaton on the Great Train Robbery of the Civil War. Funny but also happens to be historically accurate.

Just bought The General. Silent film by Buster Keaton on the Great Train Robbery of the Civil War. Funny but also happens to be historically accurate.

The latest film I bought is "The Uninvited" made in 1944 and starring Ray Milland, Gail Russell, Donald Crisp and Ruth Hussey and directed by Lewis Allen.

It's a very atmospheric ghost story.

The Uninvited (1944 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the original trailer.

I've always thought it was interesting how we distinguish between a "film" and a "movie". You never hear someone ask, "Have you seen the new Batman film?" ;)

"Town on Trial" made in 1957 and starring John Mills, Charles Coburn, Fay Compton, Barbara Bates, Derek Farr, Alec McCowan and Geoffrey Keen and directed by John Guillermin.

Town on Trial - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty six minutes.

Yep. In those days we couldn't shot tidal waves rushing down 5th Ave and a thousand screaming vampires taking over the capital in 3D and living color. So we had to make movies that told stories with actors that crafted characters that seemed as real as life and delivered lines that we can still remember.

Reading the credits in old films, it's amazing how many great writers were writing scripts in those days, William Faulkner, Oscar Wilde, Arthur Miller, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Steinbeck, Truman Capote, Raymond Chandler, etc..

"The October Man" made in 1947 and starring John Mills, Joan Greenwood, Edward Chapman and Kay Walsh and directed by Roy Ward Baker.

The October Man - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty one minutes.

Last edited:

"Where The Sidewalk Ends" made in 1950 and starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Gary Merrill and Karl Malden and directed by Otto Preminger.

Where the Sidewalk Ends (film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty four minutes.

"Whirlpool" made in 1949 and starring Richard Conte, Gene Tierney, José Ferrer and Charles Bickford and directed by Otto Preminger.

Whirlpool (1949 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty seven minutes.

Whirlpool 1949 1080p BluRay x264 YIFY

Just saw the 1957 Witness For The Prosecution the other day. Awesome. Charles Laughton was an acting genius. Back in the day they had to memorize lines. And a lot of them! And say them as if they were their own words. I am not sure if any MSM actor today who can do all that.

"Double Indemnity" made in 1944 and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson and Porter Hall and directed by Billy Wilder.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for brilliance "Double Indemnity" is an 11, it is my favourite American film noir.

Double Indemnity (film) - Wikipedia

"Double Indemnity" the novella was written by James M. Cain (the film script was written by Raymond Chandler) but James M. Cain also wrote the book "The Postman Also Rings Twice" which was made into another brilliant film in 1946, I don't rate the remake in 1981 even though Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange are very good, I don't approve of any remakes of films that were already brilliant to begin with.

"The Postman Always Rings Twice" made in 1946 and starring Lana Turner, John Garfield, Cecil Kellaway, Hume Cronyn and Leon Ames and directed by Tay Garnett.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946 film) - Wikipedia

"The Woman In The Window" made in 1944 and starring Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Raymond Massey and Dan Duryea and directed by Fritz Lang.

The Woman in the Window - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty nine minutes.

"Double Indemnity" made in 1944 and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson and Porter Hall and directed by Billy Wilder.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for brilliance "Double Indemnity" is an 11, it is my favourite American film noir.

Double Indemnity (film) - Wikipedia

"Double Indemnity" the novella was written by James M. Cain (the film script was written by Raymond Chandler) but James M. Cain also wrote the book "The Postman Also Rings Twice" which was made into another brilliant film in 1946, I don't rate the remake in 1981 even though Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange are very good, I don't approve of any remakes of films that were already brilliant to begin with.

"The Postman Always Rings Twice" made in 1946 and starring Lana Turner, John Garfield, Cecil Kellaway, Hume Cronyn and Leon Ames and directed by Tay Garnett.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946 film) - Wikipedia

"The Woman In The Window" made in 1944 and starring Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Raymond Massey and Dan Duryea and directed by Fritz Lang.

The Woman in the Window - Wikipedia

A good film. You know movies like this in the 40's usually cost about a couple hundred thousand dollars. Citizen Kane cost about $600,000 By comparison, Star Wars, the Force Awakens cost 306 million. I saw both movies last year. I enjoyed this one more, because there was a real story and had characters one actually cared about. So many current movies have cardboard characters with no depth that are more about blowing things up than people. I guess back in the 40's it cost too much to blowup things and we didn't have computer graphics so we had to make movies about people that told a story.

Yeah, the classics are the best. Debby Does Babylon, The Best Little Whore House in Mesopotamia, Neanderthreesome, all timeless.

"My Man Godfrey" made in 1936 and starring William Powell, Carole Lombard, Alice Brady, Eugene Pallette and Gail Patrick and directed by Gregory La Cava.

My Man Godfrey - Wikipedia

I love William Powell and Carole Lombard, who were once married to each other from 1931-1933.

I hate any colourisation of old black and white films, an exception is "My Man Godfrey" which looks excellent colourised.

Here is the original trailer in black and white.

Here is the original trailer colourised.

Here is the full film in it's original black and white, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty four minutes.

Here is the full film colourised, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and thirty four minutes.

'My Man Godfrey' 1936 in colour

Last edited:
We watch what we can, anyone have a movie projector and actual FILMS? We are losing our old celluloid films every day, old kinesopes are disappearing too.

This is especially for froggy

"The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case" made in 1930 and starring Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Stanley Blystone and Frank Austin and directed by James Parrott.

The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case - Wikipedia

Here is the full three-reel short, in excellent picture quality, the duration is thirty minutes.

"Now and Forever" made in 1934 and starring Gary Cooper, Carole Lombard, Shirley Temple, Sir Guy Standing and Charlotte Granville and directed by Henry Hathaway.

Now and Forever (1934 film) - Wikipedia

Gary Cooper looking gorgeous, Carole Lombard looking gorgeous, it's a very good film, don't let Shirley Temple being in it put you off, it's not a musical, Shirley doesn't go through the film at random moments singing things like "The Good Ship Lollipop", she only sings one song which thankfully is mercifully short.

I hate Shirley Temple films, I hate musicals in general. "Now and Forever" is completely a Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard film.

Here is the full film, in excellent picture quality, the duration of the film is one hour and twenty one minutes.

Forum List

Back