Why don't people watch films?

Audiences younger than mayb 30 are used to quick changes and short scenes. You can hear how differently they look at films by their reaction to something like 2001: A Space Oddity. Most of them say it is endlessly boring and they don't understand why scenes like the spacecraft docking with the space station are so long.

As with modern pop music art has taken a back seat in a big way with films and music today, in favor of making a lot of money fast. Everything in movies today has to be frantic action on screen almost the entire movie. I find it ludicrous. Life is not like that and it creates a false impression that if a movie isn't action and movement every moment then it's 'boring'. I feel sorry for audiences today that are stuck in this paradigm.

Movies, and most music as well, has always been about the money, and with pop, rock, and movies, it's aimed at those with low tastes and disposable incomes, like adolescents and teenagers. this isn't a new thing. Balzac wrote for money, Picasso painted for those with money, and Mozart composed for those with money. The myth of the 'principled artist starving rather than selling out' is just sarcasm and a hoax.

Movies, and most music as well, has always been about the money, and with pop, rock, and movies, it's aimed at those with low tastes and disposable incomes, like adolescents and teenagers. this isn't a new thing. Balzac wrote for money, Picasso painted for those with money, and Mozart composed for those with money. The myth of the 'principled artist starving rather than selling out' is just sarcasm and a hoax.

Some did some didn't. No one said ALL artists are starving, but many start from nothing.

Most of those who are starving are just bad at it, that's all, plus there is a glut in the arts markets of all kinds, and it weeds out the hobbyists.

Not true, many great artists never sold a painting in their life. It was only after their death that their genius was realized and their work revered. Things like self-publishing on the net have shown many brilliant people just need exposure to enough of the public to succeed. Rather odd that anyone would make a blanket statement about art of all things.

Not true, many great artists never sold a painting in their life. It was only after their death that their genius was realized and their work revered. Things like self-publishing on the net have shown many brilliant people just need exposure to enough of the public to succeed. Rather odd that anyone would make a blanket statement about art of all things.

The reality is what gets 'famous' and expensive has far more to do with fads and fashion and promotion as much in art as it does in rock and roll. What you're talking about is based on the same things. Someone like Mozart would experiments with music for his own amusement, and occasionally some of it would become popular, but not often, and he would still pay the bills by playing what brought in the patrons and paying customers. That is the case whether it be writing, painting, dance, film, or any other art. At least Picasso was frank about it all, and had no qualms about saying it was all ridiculous.

The art business is indeed a business, and its underside is about massive tax avoidance schemes more than anything else, which is why there are those 'alleged 'geniuses discovered after they're dead' rackets, and some are just silly; they become 'valuable' because some rich wife of a billionaire and head of some pretentious 'high society' network decides she likes Bennie the Shoe Shine guy's doodles or something and suddenly a horde of sycophants pop up touting Bennie ans the greatest genius since Van Gogh, and prices go through the roof on the word of some 'professional appraisers', and some rich guy gets to write off his 'donations' of Bennie's soup stained stick cartoons his wife paid $100 bucks for millions off his tax bill, and everybody gushes over what a wonderful 'patron of the Arts' they are. Van Gogh's painting is garbage, by the way, and isn't in any way 'genius' or even half-assed decent craftmanship, yet idiot and morons will babble endlessly about it as it it's serious stuff, meanwhile a John Singer Sergeant is barely noted by the public any more, and he's one of the very best of the late 19th century, for example. Modern 'art' is mostly hoax and con artistry and scams, little of it is 'genius' or 'brilliant', it's is essentially all just entertainment, and unimportant and forgettable, and the dealers and insiders who curate the museums know it and laugh at the gullible who routinely fall for it.

You buy very good and well crafted pieces much better than what many of the 'famous geniuses' ever produced at sane prices, but if you shop at galleries or 'art fairs' you will find them among a lot of scammers and trust fund stoner poseurs.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

I watched this the other day, it's a Pre-Code film and a good adaption of "A Study In Scarlet", this with Reginald Owen as Sherlock Holmes and Warburton Gamble as Dr. Watson, it was made in 1933 and directed by Edwin L. Marin.

A Study in Scarlet (1933 film) - Wikipedia

Here is the full film, it's a good print and is one hour and eleven minutes in duration.

Bogart as Sam Spade, SanFran detective looking for a falcon statue covered with jewels....John Huston director, from 1941:

Poster-Maltese-Falcon-The-1941_02.jpg

Hi Lucy!
wub_zps142d8233.png

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

On Friday night I watched "He Walked By Night" made in 1948 and starring Richard Basehart, Scott Brady, Whit Bissell and Jack Webb and directed by Alfred L. Werker.

He Walked by Night - Wikipedia

Here is the full film in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and eighteen minutes.

Last night Saturday, I watched "The Big Combo" made in 1955 and starring Richard Conte, Cornel Wilde, Brian Donlevy, Jean Wallace, Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman and directed by Joseph H. Lewis.

The Big Combo - Wikipedia

Here is the full film in excellent picture quality, the duration is one hour and twenty seven minutes.

Thank you, Lucy. Nice of you to take the time to post these "oldies," some of which have a charm of their own.

I am particularly fond of all the original Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. I find the recent attempts to capitalize on the appeal of these originals with new technicolor versions featuring Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey (!) as Sherlock to be as comparable as tarnished brass and polished gold.

If you like old movies, do you have access to TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? Because they show nothing but oldies.

Forum List

Back