Why Don’t Americans Eat Mince Pies?

You're joking, right?

Until my mum died, no one in my family could even buy a German car.

No pig in the freezer for us.

No joke. She bought them in glass jars from the grocery store.

Few things are as horrifying as opening the fridge for an orange to see a big ole jar of pig feet.

In the last month, I’ve reconnected with an absent lover of mine—one that’s sweet, spicy, and only comes around once a year. Really, it’s the worst kind of long-distance relationship. But we’ve had some jolly good times together—sometimes even under the mistletoe—and I’m glad to have them back.

I’m talking about the mince pie, a festive pastry eaten around Christmas. Made with dried fruits, spices, alcohol, and, once upon a time, minced meat, mince pies have essentially disappeared from the American table. But records indicate that the pastries—brought to North America by the first wave of British colonists in the 17th century—were once a beloved feature of American cuisine. Even the first known American cookbook, American Cookery by Amelia Simmons, which was printed in 1796, contains a recipe for mince pies made with beef, grated apple, raisins, cinnamon, mace, and sugar.

In Britain, the tradition of eating mince pie dates back to the 14th century. Recipes for several tarts bearing a strong resemblance to mince pies appear in the first English-language cookbook, The Forme of Cury, from around 1390. Culinary historian Regula Ysewijn, author of The British Baking Book, tells me that mince pies were “the privilege of the very rich” and “graced only the tables of kings and queens,” as sugar and spices were very expensive at the time. The spiced pies became increasingly associated with Christmas during the Tudor era, which is when, according to historian Dr. Annie Gray, they became known as Christmas pies.
Poems, letters, and other historical documents throughout the 1800s and early 1900s tell us that mince pies also had a prominent role in the American diet.

We have them every holiday season. The kids abstain because in their modern minds "mince", "meat" and "pie" ought never be used together in one titling. We're American also, by the way; an odd fusion of Germans, Englishmen, Native American blood and East Indians by marriage.

My dad loved them. Along with pickled eggs.

ACK! I can't even peek at a pickled egg without gagging like a cat with a hairball.

My granny used to deep fry the tails of fish and the kids were dumb enough to eat them. James said when he was lil, the grown ups foisted the fish eggs at em. Not the caviar kind either, lol.

This thread is giving me a twitchy eye.

ACK! I can't even peek at a pickled egg without gagging like a cat with a hairball.

My granny used to deep fry the tails of fish and the kids were dumb enough to eat them. James said when he was lil, the grown ups foisted the fish eggs at em. Not the caviar kind either, lol.

This thread is giving me a twitchy eye.

I always loved the crunchy trout tails as a kid! Almost as good as potato chips.

Forum List

Back