Poverty food

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
What is your favourite cheap meal ? Its a big issue in the UK where times are hard.
We arent quite eating roadkill but prices are up and everyone is making savings.

My favourite is a meal from my childhood that my Mam used to make for me.

Cheese and potato pie.
Ingredients -Potatoes,cheese and an onion.

Boil and mash the potatoes and mix in the chopped onion. Cover with grated cheddar and stick in the oven till the cheese melts.
Thats it. I like it with baked beans.

You can sex it up. Some butter mixed in , seasoning to taste. My wife fries off some bacon to chop up and mix in sometimes. .

I guess that its a good home for fridge leftovers as well.

What poverty food do you like ? (No squirrel recipes please"

1669652360177.png
cheap but healthy PBJ

To change up the cheese & potato pie.........add an egg or two and mix in with the cheese, onion and mashed potato and whatever seasonings you like, then pat & form into patties and fry in a bit of bacon grease for added flavor.

YouTube has plenty of videos of recipes for cheap meals and how people would save or conserve during hard times. There is a channel called 'Wartime Kitchens' (I think), the videos are more of a documentary of rationing, things people did to get by and life during WW2 in UK, but there are alot of good ideas in there as well. (actually the video series is called Wartime Kitchens, but there are a couple of channels that run it), there is also a video series called Wartime Farm

Here is one of them....

Also check out Clara's 'Poorman's Meal', from a lady that grew up during the Great Depression, with potatoes and hot dogs

There is nothing even remotely healthy about white bread with processed sugar and peanut oil/fat....

Agreed.......if/when you are able to afford a better slice......but if that's all you can afford, it will fill you up and your body will make the most of it to get it's nutrients

Spam is like $8 a can. Bloody expensive.

Top ramen, beans, rice - po' peepols food

It's all a joke though, SNAP has poor people eating like kings,
Still expensive for what it is, Spam is $3.79 a can at Target. I haven't bought any in probably 50 years but I almost dropped my teeth when I read that $8 number. LOL

Last edited:
What is your favourite cheap meal ? Its a big issue in the UK where times are hard.
We arent quite eating roadkill but prices are up and everyone is making savings.

Cheese and potato pie.

Boil and mash the potatoes and mix in the chopped onion. Cover with grated cheddar and stick in the oven till the cheese melts.

You can sex it up. Some butter mixed in , seasoning to taste. My wife fries off some bacon to chop up and mix in sometimes. .

Last night I made scalloped potatoes to feed two people, which has similar ingredients to your pie. It's pretty hard to call that a cheap meal these days. I bought a tomato for $1.60, an onion for $1.50, and $3.65 for some cheese. I had the butter, garlic and potatoes, but had to borrow some flour from my neighbor.

If in a pinch, this is my go-to with bread...

1669655643162.png

I'm just going to throw this out there for everyone........times are hard, and getting worse, regardless of who's in power. History does repeat itself and it's been long overdue for another Depression.

I'd suggest that if you have a yard, or even a sunny window, grow something. It may not be much, but a little bit is better than none. Things like lettuces, spinach, celery and such can be left in the soil and only harvest what you need from it. It will continue to grow & produce. If you are overrun with a bounty, then dehydrate the extras and make a powder. Sprinkle it in other dishes for the added nutrients. If nothing else, grow some perennial herbs to flavor your menus

There is so much you can do to help with your food costs, but it does take more effort. Know that every store has a 'clearance or markdown' section. Perfectly good food, but at discounted prices.

Cheese and potato pie.

/----/ Wouldn't be better in the long run to dump the politicians who are causing the food shortages?
BTW, try sliced potatoes with some onion and eggs pan fried. And, don't forget spaghetti and maranara sauce. Cheap and it fills you up.

Last edited:

Cheese and potato pie.

squirrels are dam good eating dude....my dad used to crack the heads open and suck out the brains....groudhog is good too lots of fat on those critters. all you need is a 22 calibre rifle and a good squirrel dog and you eat good every freaking day....plus hunting is great exercise

Cheese and potato pie.

[/Helen's.

Ummmm, but tainty....you live in the land of free everything, how are you possibly living in poverty?

Forum List

Back