Why Don’t Americans Eat Mince Pies?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
In the last month, I’ve reconnected with an absent lover of mine—one that’s sweet, spicy, and only comes around once a year. Really, it’s the worst kind of long-distance relationship. But we’ve had some jolly good times together—sometimes even under the mistletoe—and I’m glad to have them back.

I’m talking about the mince pie, a festive pastry eaten around Christmas. Made with dried fruits, spices, alcohol, and, once upon a time, minced meat, mince pies have essentially disappeared from the American table. But records indicate that the pastries—brought to North America by the first wave of British colonists in the 17th century—were once a beloved feature of American cuisine. Even the first known American cookbook, American Cookery by Amelia Simmons, which was printed in 1796, contains a recipe for mince pies made with beef, grated apple, raisins, cinnamon, mace, and sugar.

In Britain, the tradition of eating mince pie dates back to the 14th century. Recipes for several tarts bearing a strong resemblance to mince pies appear in the first English-language cookbook, The Forme of Cury, from around 1390. Culinary historian Regula Ysewijn, author of The British Baking Book, tells me that mince pies were “the privilege of the very rich” and “graced only the tables of kings and queens,” as sugar and spices were very expensive at the time. The spiced pies became increasingly associated with Christmas during the Tudor era, which is when, according to historian Dr. Annie Gray, they became known as Christmas pies.
Poems, letters, and other historical documents throughout the 1800s and early 1900s tell us that mince pies also had a prominent role in the American diet.

In the last month, I’ve reconnected with an absent lover of mine—one that’s sweet, spicy, and only comes around once a year. Really, it’s the worst kind of long-distance relationship. But we’ve had some jolly good times together—sometimes even under the mistletoe—and I’m glad to have them back.

I’m talking about the mince pie, a festive pastry eaten around Christmas. Made with dried fruits, spices, alcohol, and, once upon a time, minced meat, mince pies have essentially disappeared from the American table. But records indicate that the pastries—brought to North America by the first wave of British colonists in the 17th century—were once a beloved feature of American cuisine. Even the first known American cookbook, American Cookery by Amelia Simmons, which was printed in 1796, contains a recipe for mince pies made with beef, grated apple, raisins, cinnamon, mace, and sugar.

In Britain, the tradition of eating mince pie dates back to the 14th century. Recipes for several tarts bearing a strong resemblance to mince pies appear in the first English-language cookbook, The Forme of Cury, from around 1390. Culinary historian Regula Ysewijn, author of The British Baking Book, tells me that mince pies were “the privilege of the very rich” and “graced only the tables of kings and queens,” as sugar and spices were very expensive at the time. The spiced pies became increasingly associated with Christmas during the Tudor era, which is when, according to historian Dr. Annie Gray, they became known as Christmas pies.
Poems, letters, and other historical documents throughout the 1800s and early 1900s tell us that mince pies also had a prominent role in the American diet.

It may be that I've never had good mincemeat, but I always found them to have an off flavor for My palate. Though I didn't realize that they could be made with alcohol so maybe its time to revisit this pastry.

:biggrin:

Mace? I'm guessing this is a spice and not the spray.
It is a spice, though I didn't realize it.

What is mace?

Image result for mace

Mace is a delicate, aromatic and versatile spice that grows on the tropical nutmeg tree (Myristica fragrans). This fragrant evergreen tree produces two spices from its fruits: mace and nutmeg. That's why mace is often called nutmeg's sister spice, because they come from the same mother.

We call it mincemeat pie and my Grandma's was wonderful! An English friend gave me a jar of her homemade mince several years ago, and it was an incredible treat!

I can no longer eat a whole lot of fruits, so it's something I'll probably never enjoy again, but a sweet memory nonetheless.

What is presented in the USA is nothing like what you would find in a UK bakery, like from Sayers. Not even close.

There was a time, like for most of human history, that things like fruits were seasonal. You could only get canned or jellied fruits in The Winter.

Also, because fruits were unavailable, even the corpse of a fruit, like a raisin or a died plum tasted like a treat.

So we put all this composted fruit into our deserts so we could pretend we weren't living in the bleak, leafless, hellscape that is Minnesota or New England in December.

But, in our lovely modern era. We can get strawberries, peaches, and all the lovely fruits year-around. We don't have to eat rhubarb and keep telling ourselves that it sort of tastes like strawberries if you put enough sugar in it. We can eat ACTUAL STRAWBERRIES!

However, we shouldn't throw out those old recipes. I have a feeling that when we've sufficiently destroyed our economy... we're going to need some tasty, desiccated, remnant of fruit to take the taste of Soylent Green out of our mouths.

b9517b89-5d5f-4811-8547-bd52a2a24f2e_text.gif

There was a time, like for most of human history, that things like fruits were seasonal. You could only get canned or jellied fruits in The Winter.

Also, because fruits were unavailable, even the corpse of a fruit, like a raisin or a died plum tasted like a treat.

So we put all this composted fruit into our deserts so we could pretend we weren't living in the bleak, leafless, hellscape that is Minnesota or New England in December.

But, in our lovely modern era. We can get strawberries, peaches, and all the lovely fruits year-around. We don't have to eat rhubarb and keep telling ourselves that it sort of tastes like strawberries if you put enough sugar in it. We can eat ACTUAL STRAWBERRIES!

However, we shouldn't throw out those old recipes. I have a feeling that when we've sufficiently destroyed our economy... we're going to need some tasty, desiccated, remnant of fruit to take the taste of Soylent Green out of our mouths.

View attachment 731621

You're right. It's going to be important that I have a ton of dehydrated fruit in my pantry.

Well said!

My mom used to love it and made at least one each Thanksgiving and Christmas.

She gave up offering it to us kids when she noticed we'd break out in hives and twitchy right eyes when she did.

Forum List

Back