The Strange and Twisted History of Mince Pie

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
...However, a hint of scandal today swirls around mince pies during this period – or rather, just before it, during Oliver Cromwell's reign over England. During this Interregnum, when the Puritans were in power, they came down hard on what they saw as frivolous, godless additions to the Christian faith, going so far as to try to abolish holy days, including Christmas. While that particular bill did not pass Parliament, another one did, mandating that markets should stay open on Christmas and legislating that nothing in church services should be out of the ordinary that day. Other laws cracked down brutally on holy day feasting and ceremonies of all kinds.

...There was no mention of mince pies in particular. But in later years, stories began to circulate that during Cromwell's reign, the spiced treats, derided as a Popeish indulgence, had been made illegal. In a 1661 book about the Interregnum, the author mentions the following rhyme:

“All Plums the Prophet's sons defy

“And Spice-broths are too hot

“Treason's in a December-pye

“And death within the pot.”

Novelist Washington Irving wrote in 1850, “nearly two centuries had elapsed since the fiery persecution of poor mince pie throughout the land, when plum porridge was denounced as mere popery”. Even today, you can find the idea in newspapers around Christmas, often with the added misconception that laws made during Cromwell's reign were never repealed. “Before you start tucking into a mince pie tomorrow – beware as you're actually breaking the law,” insists one article. These tales, however, are just myths arising from a series of assumptions and the attractiveness of the idea that pastry could be political.

If you are disappointed that mince pies are, in fact, perfectly licit, here's another scandalous tidbit: according to a lovely essay in the Chicago Reader, canned mince pie filling during Prohibition-era Chicago saw its alcohol levels spike to more than 14%. That's quite enough to have made people very merry indeed.
The strange and twisted history of mince pies

The history is way better than the pie. I haven't had mince pie since I was young. I walk by the cans every year and go--oh wow, I could....just.......not make one. Again.

Very interesting.

My father-in-law loves it and I try to it make every year for him.

Must be pretty horrible to live in a theocracy, having to live your life according to other people's religious beliefs.

6aafd5e2e14c0055f38ce169e87aef36--dana-carvey-saturday-night-live.jpg

Forum List

Back