Why Does the U.S. Use Fahrenheit Instead of Celsius?

In the electrical trade, at least here in the U.S., we still use the USCS system. We use tools and materials that have sizes specified in inches, feet, and so on. I think the same is true in most other construction trades as well.

Remember when some Democrat president tried to force interstate highway speed signs to go metric?

How many were quickly removed and became fireplace fuel in rural America?

If you do then you'll appreciate the flood of mercury if some future Maoistocrat tries to force America to centigrade.

The Fahrenheit scale was devised by German scientist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit in 1724 and, in 1742, a Swedish astronomer named Andres Celsius came up with a less unwieldy system based on multiples of 10, which is the system used today in most of the world. PIXABAY

While the metric system is based on powers of ten the Celsius temperature scale is based on the boiling and ice points of water. But in answer to your question, because we have shit for brains and should have transitioned from imperial measures to the metric system decades ago. We began with imperial measures because we began as an English colony.

I'll never forget going to work for a shop that made hydraulic systems in the eighties when I couldnt pick or choose since the oil industry crashed.
The shop was a start up and the guy was a foreigner.
What'd he do? He went and bought all metric machines.....
So here I am with 10k in inspection tools that are of course US based and he had jack shit in inspection equipment and told me I'd told him I had everything we'd need for inspection.
Which of course I did.....for the US system.
I explained to him it's far easier to convert a metric print to US than to try and use metric machines and convert every measurement to US standard.
Of course he'd already spent all his money on metric machines so he wasnt having any of it.
Rolled my tools out to the truck,loaded em with the forklift and said adios.
The place shut down within 6 months because no machinist had metric tools and they refused to work for him.

i would probably say resistance & laziness. i remember when i was in high scool during the 70's, there was a 'push' to teach it - but the math dept tried to get the science dept to teach it & the science dept basically told them to get bent. soooooooooooooooo............

it was dropped pretty quickly & here we are.

There's way more to it than that.
Whole industries would have to change the way they measured things at a ungodly cost to the companies and the workers.
Basically my 10k in inspection tools would have become worthless overnight. As well as all the machines used to make those parts.

The Fahrenheit scale was devised by German scientist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit in 1724 and, in 1742, a Swedish astronomer named Andres Celsius came up with a less unwieldy system based on multiples of 10, which is the system used today in most of the world. PIXABAY

For one thing, it is more accurate.
Why

If you were a machinist you'd understand.
In the machining world we go by thousandths of an inch which is just as easy as the metric system.
When we use fractions the tolerances are + or - .015 which are considered wide open. This also true if the the measurement is called out in say 12.5 inches rather than 12.500 which would be +or - .005
When the dimension is called out in a three point decimal on a print you have + or - .005 tolerance.
When you go to a four point decimal number such as .4501 the tolerance is usually +or- .001 unless otherwise specified.
Once you get into tenths of a thousandths you'll get a + or - in tenths of a thousands on the print.

So basically every dimension is broken down to .000 to .1000 of an inch. Which is easy to breakdown in your head.

Last edited:

Why

In the machining world we go by thousandths of an inch which is just as easy as the metric system.
When we use fractions the tolerances are + or - .015 which are considered wide open. This also true if the the measurement is called out in say 12.5 inches rather than 12.500 which would be +or - .005
When the dimension is called out in a three point decimal on a print you have + or - .005 tolerance.
When you go to a four point decimal number such as .4501 the tolerance is usually +or- .001 unless otherwise specified.
Once you get into tenths of a thousandths you'll get a + or - in tenths of a thousands on the print.

So basically every dimension is broken down to .000 to .1000 of an inch. Which is easy to breakdown in your head.
Sorry one eighth is just not more logical than one tenth

Why

One eighth is .125 thousandth of an inch,simple.

Why

Metric is far easier and get used to it because you have no choice

Why

I think you're missing my point entirely.
It's not a simple thing to switch to the metric system in industry.
There are close to 19k machine shops in the US. Think of the cost of replacing or refitting billions of dollars worth of machines and inspection equipment.
And thats just machine shops,there are many other industries that would be affected as well.
The metric system is not coming to America.

There are close to 19k machine shops in the US. Think of the cost of replacing or refitting billions of dollars worth of machines and inspection equipment.
And thats just machine shops,there are many other industries that would be affected as well.
Actually industry in every country except the USA uses metric and we import metric products from every one of those countries, then we assemble those metric products here. Thus we are already metric whether you like it or not. The USA also does not ship non metric products to a world that would reject our dumb system.

It's over unless you want the USA to isolate itself

Actually industry in every country except the USA uses metric and we import metric products from every one of those countries, then we assemble those metric products here. Thus we are already metric whether you like it or not. The USA also does not ship non metric products to a world that would reject our dumb system.

LOL....I worked at a machine shop that also had a shop in mexico.
And guess what,they used the US standard of measurement.

Dude you are saying that you do not want American companies to ship to the rest of the World. To say that you must hate the USA

Dude you are saying that you do not want American companies to ship to the rest of the World. To say that you must hate the USA

We are shipping parts to other countries dimwit.

Forum List

Back