Why Does the U.S. Use Fahrenheit Instead of Celsius?

That's what I meant. The British went over to units of ten during the decimalisation of a previously unfathomable (to foreigners) currency.

They still sell eggs in batches of 12.

They do here, as well. It's still quite common to see certain things sold by the dozen. By the gross (a dozen squared, or 144) is less common.

By the way, you know what the most disgusting number is? It's 288. It's two gross.

Have you ever figured out lbs and stones?

Stones are great ... I only weigh 12.

That's what I meant. The British went over to units of ten during the decimalisation of a previously unfathomable (to foreigners) currency.

They do here, as well. It's still quite common to see certain things sold by the dozen. By the gross (a dozen squared, or 144) is less common.

By the way, you know what the most disgusting number is? It's 288. It's two gross.

What's that in kilos?

What's that in kilos?

I have metric and standard tools, working as a carpenter, houses are still designed in feet and inches. An 8 ft sheet works with a 12, 16,19.25 and 24 inch truss layout. Standard measurements are far easier for house layouts.
Guess what will happen to house design when an 8ft sheet is a 2400 sheet?
A 1 and 1/2 inch gap when the metric panel is too short.
I see you have realistic expectations of American house design using the metric system.

There are six feet in a fathom and three miles in a league. Lambda equals 1 over period time.

I have metric and standard tools, working as a carpenter, houses are still designed in feet and inches. An 8 ft sheet works with a 12, 16,19.25 and 24 inch truss layout. Standard measurements are far easier for house layouts.
Guess what will happen to house design when an 8ft sheet is a 2400 sheet?
Nothing.
Not going to happen.
Entire industry is tooled to standard measurements. All materials from framing to finish are in standard.
There is no benefit to switch from a system that works perfectly well.

There is also a problem with 10 as it is only divisible by 2 and 5.
While 12 is divisible by 2,3,4 and six. Making that house layout much easier.

Guess what.
Canadian carpenters also use standard in metric Canada.
Why do Canadian carpenters still measure in feet and inches? - Fine Homebuilding
The link forgot 19 1/4 works also.

Last edited:
Oh I thought you were a geologist who cracked rocks with your head
When I do it with my head, that is science. When I do it with my mind, that is not science. Subtle difference I admit.
Everything at the top of the pyramid is science. As when a grease monkey mechanic says why did they do this that way when this would be easier and better. If his new way is adopted he is an automotive engineering scientist and inventor. This applies to everything

Each degree of Celsius is approximately 2.12 degrees Fahrenheit. Thus, it is not as precise a measurement as Fahrenheit.

In science accuracy is everything. That's why the hard sciences will continue to use Kelvin and Fahrenheit
You are a raving loony. As though all Fahrenheit thermometers are longer than Centigrade thermometer so therefore have an expanded scale. We can see the deplorable approach to science in your post. Well, ok, unscience.

Wow, nice to see you don't understand precision at all.

Each degree of Celsius is approximately 2.12 degrees Fahrenheit. Thus, it is not as precise a measurement as Fahrenheit.

In science accuracy is everything. That's why the hard sciences will continue to use Kelvin and Fahrenheit
You are a raving loony. As though all Fahrenheit thermometers are longer than Centigrade thermometer so therefore have an expanded scale. We can see the deplorable approach to science in your post. Well, ok, unscience.

Wow, nice to see you don't understand precision at all.
Actually both scales can be divided into tenths or hundredths of a degree if that amount of precision is required so neither scale is more accurate

I had no problems using inches and feet out of meters and centimeters when I did remodeling to my house. No matter at all using pounds and no kilos when I look at the scale weight in my bathroom.

Not uncomfortable at all reading miles rather than kilometers while driving the car, and no big issue reading in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius on the thermometer.

But, when I fix my cars, which is my preferred hobby, here is when I love when American companies changed the SAE to Metric. Oh yes, to me metric sockets make more sense. I can buy Ford or Buick and be using the same tools bought for repair Honda and Hyundai. Love it.

I had no problems using inches and feet out of meters and centimeters when I did remodeling to my house. No matter at all using pounds and no kilos when I look at the scale weight in my bathroom.

Not uncomfortable at all reading miles rather than kilometers while driving the car, and no big issue reading in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius on the thermometer.

But, when I fix my cars, which is my preferred hobby, here is when I love when American companies changed the SAE to Metric. Oh yes, to me metric sockets make more sense. I can buy Ford or Buick and be using the same tools bought for repair Honda and Hyundai. Love it.
That is because Fords are made in China India or Mexico and Buicks are made from imported parts

There doesn't seem to be a logical answer, except perhaps inertia.

Nothing wrong with inertia. No reason to change for change's sake. Jimmy Carter tried to legislate the metric system into America in the '70s and it flopped miserably.

EllipticalUnrealisticAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif

The Fahrenheit scale is nowhere in the world "the tradition" (although it's part of a tradition). Standard is Celsius and Kelvin. So this is not a good example for tradition - it's more a sign for the senility of the US-American culture and a kind of a strange egocentrism or blind nationalism.

And perhaps Albert Einstein - who called himself Ashkenazim and a citizen of the world - would had been without Switzerland a totally unknown German.

Last edited:
The Celsius scale is too large as each is equivalent to 1.8 degrees Farenheit.

Liters are too small, as are kilometers and kilograms. Think about filling up your car and it taking 80 liters. Distances work better than kilometers. Everyone would love to weigh 75 kilos but the range is too wide. .

Liquid measure are

OTOH, you do have metric. I've noticed in Target, for instance, the bedding is also listed in metres and centimetres.

And in French!

That must be why it's illegal to tear off the tags.

That's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Read the tag! It say that it is illegal to tear off the tags unless you are the consumer.

It's a joke.

Toy you it is a joke. To most people, they believe it is dead serious that you cannot cut the tags off of a mattress.
That's amazing admiral

Jimmy Carter tried to legislate the metric system into America in the '70s and it flopped miserably.
Is that why ALL American cars (except old ones and race cars) now require metric wrenches to work on metric bolts?

I remember going to work at a Datsun dealership just as they converted to Nissan- I had spent all my working life, to that point, using inch wrenches- boy, you talk about a culture shock- but, you get used to it. I prefer the inch system BTW-

Jimmy Carter tried to legislate the metric system into America in the '70s and it flopped miserably.
Is that why ALL American cars (except old ones and race cars) now require metric wrenches to work on metric bolts?

I remember going to work at a Datsun dealership just as they converted to Nissan- I had spent all my working life, to that point, using inch wrenches- boy, you talk about a culture shock- but, you get used to it. I prefer the inch system BTW-
No metric is the standard everywhere but here, much of what is built here is actually imported parts, also we export what we build so metric just makes sense

Forum List

Back