Why do we have different blood types?

Frankly I don't understand Blood types well enough to understand what that REALLY even means.

I doubt I am the only person here who is likewise ignorant about this issue.

I mean I think we all know that different bloody "types" exist, that some are universal donors, etc, but honestly what does it even mean that it is type A pos or B neg and so forth.

All I know is that it has to do with antigens and the body's ability to recognize the blood cell as being part of the person, rather than an alien cell that needs killing.

And I just had to look that up, too!

The older I get the more I realize how much I truly don't understand.

Ditto that!

And, you're correct that the blood types have to do with various antigens. O- (negative) literally means that they have zero antigens in there blood...thus the universal donor status. There is no foreign antigens in the blood to react to given a transfusion situation.

AB+ (positive) has both A and B antigens in there blood, along with the positive RH factor, thus they can recieve any type of blood due to all those antigens already being present in their blood. Them having those antigens means they won't have a negative reaction to a foreign antigen during transfusion cause they already have those antigens present in their blood.

It is really interesting to ponder how we all aquired different types of blood if indeed we as the human race all started from the same ancestors (ie Adam and Eve). Mutations? Sure, I'll buy that, but it could have just as easily been different Alien races that started their own human line back at the beginning of time. If nothing else, it's interesting to ponder.

Why do we have different blood types if we're all human and originate from the same source...Adam and Eve?

What's more...why do a small percentage of us have a negative RH factor in our blood when most of the population is RH positive? By the way...the RH stands for Rhesus Monkey. So...most folks apparently have the monkey gene and others (the minority) don't. Maybe the RH negative folks are descendents of the Gods while the RH positive folks descend from monkeys. :lol:

Come on, really?

Why do we all look different? How come we all aren’t black or all white? How come we have different hair colors? Please people! It’s called gene mutations. If for reasons of propagation, a trait means attractiveness, survival, or any other positive result, it will continue. If not, it dies out.

Also yes, RH does stand for rhesis monkey but not because of anything in our genes, it’s because the test was developed using the blood of rhesis monkeys.

Why do we have different blood types if we're all human and originate from the same source...Adam and Eve?

What's more...why do a small percentage of us have a negative RH factor in our blood when most of the population is RH positive? By the way...the RH stands for Rhesus Monkey. So...most folks apparently have the monkey gene and others (the minority) don't. Maybe the RH negative folks are descendents of the Gods while the RH positive folks descend from monkeys. :lol:

Come on, really?

Why do we all look different? How come we all aren’t black or all white? How come we have different hair colors? Please people! It’s called gene mutations. If for reasons of propagation, a trait means attractiveness, survival, or any other positive result, it will continue. If not, it dies out.

Also yes, RH does stand for rhesis monkey but not because of anything in our genes, it’s because the test was developed using the blood of rhesis monkeys.
Sure, that's one explanation.

For like half a second I was super intrigued by this topic. Then disappointment happened :sad:

I think you may really be on something here.

What a great thread
It sure is.

I have read and heard about this topic before.

I have yet to form an informed opinion on it.

What I would really like to know, but have never looked into, is this question;

Are there different blood types within other animal species?

IF NOT, what makes humans so special? It certainly could not just be evolutionary chance. We can take that out of the equation now. IF SO, all of those hypotheses posted by the OP, talking about "gods" and "aliens" can be safely discarded due to occam's razor.

You know, for instance, take dogs, our most loyal companions. Do all of these dogs all have the same blood type?

How about all of this beef we consume? Does it all have the same blood type?

Take any animal on the planet, and do the same analysis, do they all have the same blood type?

If so, then something really spooky and profound is being hidden from the population. Otherwise, Predfan's explanation is certainly the most logical, simple, and succinct explanation.

Why Do We Have Different Blood Types?
There are four main blood types. Blood type A is the most ancient, and it existed before the human species evolved from its hominid ancestors. Type B is thought to have originated some 3.5 million years ago, from a genetic mutation that modified one of the sugars that sit on the surface of red blood cells. Starting about 2.5 million years ago, mutations occurred that rendered that sugar gene inactive, creating type O, which has neither the A or B version of the sugar. And then there is AB, which is covered with both A and B sugars.

What a great thread
It sure is.

IF NOT, what makes humans so special? It certainly could not just be evolutionary chance. We can take that out of the equation now. IF SO, all of those hypotheses posted by the OP, talking about "gods" and "aliens" can be safely discarded due to occam's razor.

You know, for instance, take dogs, our most loyal companions. Do all of these dogs all have the same blood type?

Take any animal on the planet, and do the same analysis, do they all have the same blood type?

If so, then something really spooky and profound is being hidden from the population. Otherwise, Predfan's explanation is certainly the most logical, simple, and succinct explanation.

Yes, there are.

What a great thread
It sure is.

Yes, there are.
/thread

Forum List

Back