Why do people think that polygamy is inherently abusive?

no it is smug when you address your god as the only god....and try to say that non christians have no reason to be 'good' without your god....sorry you need a god to shame you or guilt you into being moral

People think it is abusive because so-called "religious" people (see Mormons and Muslims) have abused it by marrying children. Now, if polygamy was ever legalized here in America, the same rules would apply to them as anyone else. All would have to be consenting adults. I don't really see this being a problem anyway. Most people would not choose this type of relationship, nor could they handle it.

Deuteronomy 17:17 - Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Yet throughout the old testament in particular this was practiced. I have found watching the shows Sister Wives and My 5 Wives to be fascinating. Not sure why someone would choose to do this. From just tuning into these two families I can't see past the complications. I think back in antiquity that the relationship between husband and wife is not what is expected in today's society which makes the dynamic of it all not functional for today. It certainly caused issue even in those olden days. Look at the jealousy created with Joseph and his brothers because they knew his father Jacob favored Joseph's mother. Then the wife of David caused a haboob and of course there was Solomon's harem. It may have been permissible, but it was not the perfect idea.

Last edited:
being religious does not determine my morals you are aware of that....and there are people who are not christian who are moral

tell me, why be moral if you are not a Christian?
People are not altruistic and selfless by nature......

Perhaps out of respect for Life​

If you are just born and then die, and life could cease to exist entirely as we know it at anytime.
What is the point?
Isn't placing a "meaning" into this life just as pointless as placing meaning on anything else?
Why respect life. It's not eternal. Even future life is no guarantee.

If you are just born and then die, and life could cease to exist entirely as we know it at anytime.
What is the point?
The opportunity to experience humanity and this beautiful world and affect it all as you Will...​
Isn't placing a "meaning" into this life just as pointless as placing meaning on anything else?
No. Everyone's subjective reality is different. What will you make of yours?​
That's something you may have to figure out yourself if you really wish to understand it...​

What is the point?
The opportunity to experience humanity and this beautiful world and affect it all as you Will...​
No. Everyone's subjective reality is different. What will you make of yours?​
That's something you may have to figure out yourself if you really wish to understand it...​

I am a Christian and believe in God.
I believe our reason for being here is to live for and to glorify God, otherwise life is meaningless....

being religious does not determine my morals you are aware of that....and there are people who are not christian who are moral

What is the point?
The point is to have offspring and ensure the continuation of the species like any other animal.

What is the point?
The point is to have offspring and ensure the continuation of the species like any other animal.

Some species die out, some don't

If you are looking at life in a "there is no greater power" sense, it will be what it will be...

My point in all this is that, if there is "no greater power" that created us, everything TRULY is relative, and, imposing "morals" or "standards" on people is futile, because, if there is really ultimately no afterlife or greater power -- we are all our own Gods and can not be told how to live.

Society can make laws and people will pay for the consequences if they breaks laws established but, ultimately, they have a RGHT to do whatever they want.. if the are willing to pay/suffer the consequences.....

What is the point?

Some species die out, some don't

If you are looking at life in a "there is no greater power" sense, it will be what it will be...

My point in all this is that, if there is "no greater power" that created us, everything TRULY is relative, and, imposing "morals" or "standards" on people is futile, because, if there is really ultimately no afterlife or greater power -- we are all our own Gods and can not be told how to live.

Society can make laws and people will pay for the consequences if they breaks laws established but, ultimately, they have a RGHT to do whatever they want.. if the are willing to pay/suffer the consequences.....

Some people just don't need a "god" and empty threats and empty promises to behave and treat others fairly. There is really no mystery here.

Forum List

Back