Why do people think that polygamy is inherently abusive?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
I should probably define some terms first. "Polygamy" is actually gender neutral in meaning. It just means a marital arrangement between more than two people. The gendered forms are "polygyny" (multiple wives) and "polyandry" (multiple husbands). Both forms have been practiced since before recorded history, with polygyny being more common than polyandry. None of these terms specify anything about the relationship beyond that it involves a marriage and the gender and number of participants. Despite this, there's this strong tendency in our society for people to think all polygamy is polygyny and all polygynous marriages are abusive. It doesn't seem to occur to these people that saying this isn't really different than saying that all two person arrangements are oppressive. It just sounds... silly, honestly. What is it that causes people to think this? Why do they think it suddenly stops being about love just because there's an additional loved one involved?

I believe it's sinful.

But from a secular standpoint, if everyone agrees to it, it's not abusive.

That's ridiculous. Who thinks that? (please speak up if you do and explain yourself...)

It's just an attitude I've encountered a lot. How do you mean by sinful?

God meant for man/woman to have a mutually exclusive marriage union from the beginning.

Godly men in the Bible DID have multiple wives but that was not God's perfect plan.

It's sinful.

I believe it's sinful.
Why do you believe that it's sinful?

Almost every Biblical prophet had multiple wives and God never spoke against the practice. .... :cool:

Matthew 19:4-6

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied (Jesus), “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Two. Not Two or more.

Welp, the "get out of my life" cons are the ones who really dislike the practice.

I think if a guy wants the burden of 2 or more wives let him hurt himself lol

It is considered abusive if people are forced into the arrangement, ie a girl groomed from childhood to be a polygamous wife.

A simple question should clarify the matter. Ask a polygamous wife if she is married to the other wives or if she is married only to her husband. IOW, if the husband dies, does the marriage die as well, or are there just women left, married to each other? IMO, most haven't considered that question.

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied (Jesus), “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Two. Not Two or more.
That verse is only talking about a young man's 1st marriage. ...... :cool:

Two. Not Two or more.
That verse is only talking about a young man's 1st marriage. ...... :cool:

...sure... NOT!

Hell, I admitted polygamy is not abusive, yet, you want to attack the sinful part.

are you Mormon?

No where in the Bible does God or Jesus forbid a man from taking more than 1 wife.

So your saying the practice is sinful isn't based on scripture but your own feelings. ..... :cool:

No where in the Bible does God or Jesus forbid a man from taking more than 1 wife.

So your saying the practice is sinful isn't based on scripture but your own feelings. ..... :cool:

I quoted you a scripture and you "twisted" it - or misinterpreted it and then expect everyone else to buy that garbage.... not going to happen... because it's not true....

History demonstrates polygamy is usually abusive.

That's why people believe it's inherently abusive.

I'm glad we are back "on topic" - you mean the man usually beats one of his wives??? Explain.

I quoted you a scripture and you "twisted" it - or misinterpreted it and then expect everyone else to buy that garbage.... not going to happen... because it's not true....
Almost all of the great "hero's" of the Bible.......Moses, Abraham, Lot, etc., had multiple wives.

And yet God never once admonished them for the practice or commanded them to divorce all but one wife.

So obviously God condoned the marriage of multiple wives and didn't consider it a sin like you do. .... :cool:

Almost all of the great "hero's" of the Bible.......Moses, Abraham, Lot, etc., had multiple wives.

And yet God never once admonished them for the practice or commanded them to divorce all but one wife.

So obviously God condoned the marriage of multiple wives and didn't consider it a sin like you do. .... :cool:

Ok you believe that..... not going to argue because that is not the topic, but will start another topic on that so we can continue if you would like...

This thread is about how polygamy is or isn't abusive.
I admit I brought up the sin part, but I didn't want people to think I thought it was "ok".

Hm. I see.
...sure... NOT!

Hell, I admitted polygamy is not abusive, yet, you want to attack the sinful part.

are you Mormon?
Eh. I mean, I guess your take on it makes sense from a contemporary Abrahamic viewpoint. I never considered that there could be a religious element to the opposition towards that lifestyle.

It is not explicitly condemned in the Bible, I will concede that.

But it was God's original "perfect" plan for marriage to be "one man married to one woman".

Forum List

Back