Cervical HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)

kelly_w

Rookie
Jul 22, 2015
I received the first of far too many phone calls that started with “are you someplace you can talk?” . And, to be perfectly honest, I have grown to hate phone calls that start out like that. The nurse practitioner who had done my Pap and HPV test a couple of weeks earlier was calling with my results. Abnormal and Cervical HPV. At first I was thinking – Okay, this isn’t so bad. All of my friends have abnormal Paps all the time and it’s no big deal, right? Well, as the conversation continued my heart sunk as I was told that I had Cervical HPV. I’m not one of those girls. I’m not one of the promiscuous ones who should have an STD! The nurse practitioner assured me that it wasn’t a big deal, that everyone gets HPV at some point or another, and that it would just go away.

Immediately following this news, I underwent treatment with Cervugid Ovules recommended by my gyn.First I took 3 boxes of Cervugid Ovules with break between them 7 days and after 6 months another 3 boxes.

I am happy to report that since 2014, I am free of cervical HPV infection. My message for women is to not take your health for granted, and take steps to prevent cervical HPV from happening. Don’t wait! Go for your regular physician check-ups, and pay attention to what you can do to control and manage your health, especially if you have a young family depending upon you. You don’t want to be surprised with these results like I was, and you don’t want to depend on the doctor to remind you or call you – double check what you need and take your own action.

I am happy for you, did your doctor advise to not to engage in unprotected sex and do you know who may have affected you? I do hope it was not your husband.

The nurse practitioner assured me that it wasn’t a big deal, that everyone gets HPV at some point or another, and that it would just go away.

It can be a big deal, but hey if one wants to take VD so lightly which your lucky it wasn't cancerous, then I guess its no big deal.

I used to work in a medical laboratory and your nurse was correct. There are many people who get it, just like many people get a yeast infection or urinary tract infection. There are buckets of strains of it.
How is HPV spread?
You can get HPV by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has the virus. It is most commonly spread during vaginal or anal sex. HPV can be passed even when an infected person has no signs or symptoms.

Anyone who is sexually active can get HPV, even if you have had sex with only one person. You also can develop symptoms years after you have sex with someone who is infected making it hard to know when you first became infected.

That is awful judgemental to assume someone is a loose goose. Given there was a surge of ads strongly encouraging young girls age 12 to get the vaccine tells one it is a common thing to contract. The vaccines turned out to be dangerous and deadly but getting regular annual exams is a good move. They now have the vaccine on the recommended list for high school but I have personal convictions against giving my child a vaccine for something that doesn't prevent getting the virus. Same issue with the chicken pox and shingles vaccines. Neither prevent getting it, it is just suppose to help the severity should you contract it.

I hope everyone understands that chickenpox and shingles are a strain of the herpes virus as well

Granny says, "Dat's right - get all three shots...

Study: Outreach increases HPV vaccination completion rate
Oct. 19, 2015 - Patients at safety net clinics received enhanced brochures and follow-up calls about finishing the vaccine's three shots.
Researchers found in a study of girls in Texas that a multicomponent outreach program helped increase the rate of completion of the three-shot human papillomavirus, or HPV, vaccine. HPV, a group of more than 200 related viruses, are the most common sexually transmitted infections in the United States. Among sexually active adults, more than 90 percent of men and 80 percent of women will be infected with HPV, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Although some HPV infections do not carry symptoms, aside from genital warts, and can go away in one or two years, others persist and can cause several types of cancer, including cervical, head, neck and anal cancers.

Study-Outreach-increases-HPV-vaccination-completion-rate.jpg

The HPV vaccine has been controversial since its introduction because it is recommended for girls who are not yet sexually active.​

Most people get HPV infections shortly after becoming sexually active for the first time, according to the National Cancer Institute. The HPV vaccine has been controversial since its introduction in 2006 because it was recommended for girls beginning at age 10 or 11 -- before many have become sexually active -- because of the danger for developing cervical cancer. "HPV vaccine delivery is challenging because of the dosing schedule and parental hesitation about vaccines," Dr. Celette Sugg Skinner, a professor at the University of Texas Southwestern, said in a press release. "Given these challenges, we must offer both education and vaccine opportunities at all healthcare visits."

Researchers at UT Southwestern worked with 814 girls between ages 11 and 18 at four safety-net clinics in Dallas County between 2010 and 2011. The vaccine has since been recommended for boys, but at the time of the study was still only recommended for girls. The study was conducted at publicly supported safety net clinics because rates of cervical cancer are higher among low-income populations, the researchers said. Participants were randomly assigned to receive either standard vaccine brochures or a multicomponent outreach program including an HPV-vaccine specific brochure, telephone calls to parents who declined, and follow-up calls for patients who were overdue for the second and third shots.

MORE

HPV on the way down...

Study: HPV Drops 64 Percent in Teen Girls, Young Women
February 22, 2016 - Human papillomavirus has been known to cause cervical cancer as well as cancer of head and neck; drop attributed to vaccinations
Infections of the cancer-causing human papillomavirus, or HPV, have dropped by 64 percent among teenage girls and young women since a vaccine became available a decade ago, according to health officials. "We are continuing to see decreases in the HPV types that are targeted by the vaccine," said lead researcher Dr. Lauri Markowitz, a medical epidemiologist with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in an interview with HealthDay. HPV has been known to cause cervical cancer as well as cancer of the head and neck.

Markowitz cautions that since it takes years for many of these cancers to develop, it will be a while before researchers know how much will be prevented by fewer infections. "We have seen declines in genital warts [caused by HPV] already," she said. "The next thing we expect to see is a decline in pre-cancers, then later on declines in cancer."

060E9937-DA31-4528-A25E-B04F22C1B1D2_w640_r1_s.jpg

Lauren Fant, left, 18, braces for a shot of the HPV vaccine administered by nurse Stephanie Pearson in Marietta, Ga.​

Still, researchers worry that not enough young people are being vaccinated, saying only 22 percent of boys between the ages of 13 and 17 have been vaccinated, while 42 percent of girls in the same age range have been vaccinated. Researchers said the reason perhaps is that many physicians do not strongly recommend the vaccine because it would require a potentially uncomfortable conversation about sex. The CDC recommends all children get vaccinated by age 12. "We could see greater declines in HPV-related disease if we had greater coverage," Markowitz said. "A very large percentage of cervical cancers could be prevented by the vaccine."

The CDC researchers used data from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys to compare rates of HPV infection pre- and post-2006, when the vaccine was made available. Among girls aged 14-19, the infection rate dropped from 11.5 percent in 2003-2006 to 4.3 percent from 2009-2012. Similar rates of reduction were seen in women aged 20 to 24, showing a drop from 18.5 percent to just above 12 percent, the researchers said. "HPV vaccine is highly effective," Markowitz said. "We are seeing an impact of vaccination, but coverage rates are still too low. We need to see more coverage to see the full impact of the vaccine." The report was published online Feb. 22 in the journal Pediatrics.

Study: HPV Drops 64 Percent in Teen Girls, Young Women

Granny says, "Dat's right - get all three doses ladies...
icon_grandma.gif

HPV vaccination reduces abnormal Pap tests
July 6, 2016 - Young women who get the recommended three doses of human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine have fewer abnormal Pap tests than unvaccinated women and women who only get two doses, Canadian researchers say.
HPV vaccination is intended to prevent cervical cancer and abnormal cells that can lead to cancer, but how well it’s working among North American women remains unclear. “Both HPV vaccination and cervical cancer screening are important to further reduce the incidence, morbidity, and mortality of cervical cancer,” senior study author Dr. Huiming Yang from Alberta Health Services in Calgary told Reuters Health by email. The province of Alberta implemented a school-based HPV vaccination program for girls in 2008 and expanded it to include boys in 2014. The HPV vaccination program provides three doses of the vaccine over a six-month period. Yang and colleagues studied the impact on Pap test results eight years into this program.

The researchers analyzed data on 10,204 women, 56 percent of whom were unvaccinated and the rest had received at least one dose of HPV vaccine before having cervical cancer screening. Overall, 14.5 percent of women had abnormal Pap tests and 85.5 percent had normal tests. Most abnormal tests, nearly 94 percent, were low-grade abnormalities, but the rest were the high-grade abnormalities that could progress to cervical cancer. Less than 12 percent of women who had received at least three doses of the vaccine had abnormal Pap results, whereas 16 percent of unvaccinated women had abnormal tests. This translates into a 28 percent risk reduction with full HPV vaccination. The difference was even greater – a 50 percent reduction in risk – when only high-grade abnormalities were included, according to the results published in CMAJ.

Surprisingly, incomplete HPV vaccination with two or fewer doses of the vaccine was not associated with a lower risk of having an abnormal Pap test. "Our study shows that three doses HPV vaccination is very effective in reducing cervical cell abnormalities, particularly for high-grade lesions, but two does not appear to offer similar protection,” Dr. Yang concluded. “It is important to complete all scheduled doses of vaccine.” "I found it interesting that young women in this study that received two doses of the quadrivalent vaccine had similar odds of having an abnormal Pap as those who had 0 doses,” said Dr. Jacqueline M. Hirth from the University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, who has also studied the effect of HPV vaccination on cervical cancer screening among young women.

That result should be interpreted with caution, she told Reuters Health by email, since many of the young women in this sample were under 21 years of age and may not have been receiving routine Pap screenings. “They may have actually gone to their providers for abnormal bleeding or other symptoms, which may have prompted them to receive Pap tests that would not have met the criteria for ‘routine’ screenings,” Hirth said. HPV vaccination in combination with cervical cancer screening according to guidelines is important for the prevention of cervical cancer, Hirth said, because the HPV vaccine does not protect against all high-risk HPV types. She added that it's important for women to receive all three doses of the HPV vaccine and to undergo cervical cancer screening regardless of vaccination history in order to reduce their risk of developing HPV-related cancers.

HPV vaccination reduces abnormal Pap tests

Who is dat lady?... Uncle Ferd thinks she's a Georgia peach...
icon_wink.gif

HPV-related Cancers on Rise in US
July 07, 2016 - Cancer associated with the human papilloma virus (HPV) is on the rise, according to a study released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The centers said from 2008 to 2012, there were about 39,000 annual cases of HPV-related cancers, which typically occur in the head, neck, genitals and reproductive organs. That’s up from 33,000 a year from 2004 and 2008.

Among the cases, there were 11,700 cases of cervical cancer and 12,600 cases of oropharyngeal cancer among men.

060E9937-DA31-4528-A25E-B04F22C1B1D2_w640_r1_s.jpg

Lauren Fant, left, 18, braces for a shot of the HPV vaccine administered by nurse Stephanie Pearson in Marietta, Georgia​

Of the 39,000 cases, the CDC says 28,500 cases could have been prevented by the HPV vaccine. The vaccine is available to girls and boys starting at the age of 11.

HPV-related Cancers on Rise in US

Forum List

Back