Why do people still follow Mormonism?

TSJohnson

Dec 27, 2014
California
I learned about it following Mitt Romney last election. The biggest thing I learned is that it's completely, transparently false.

There is no reason to believe that Joseph Smith was anything like a prophet. There is plenty of reason to believe he was a fraud. As a youth, he was locally known for his tall tales and con jobs. As a young man, he was well versed in the occult practices common in the region and was acquainted with Swedenborg's New Church ideas, such as multiple levels of Heaven and marriage in the afterlife. As an adult, he suddenly appeared with this alleged record of prehistoric upstate New York written in Hebrew using the Egyptian alphabet that he refused to let more than a few people see. He translated it with his "peep stones" by putting them in a hat, putting his face in the hat, and yelling words to his friend and "scribe" behind a curtain. The resulting book bore suspicious similarity to his favorite historical fiction.

There is no physical or cultural evidence that the civilizations in the Book of Mormon ever existed outside its pages. There are no records of them among any indigenous people. There are no artifacts or ruins where the cities supposedly were. There are no bodies or weapons where the battles were supposedly fought. This isn't for lack of trying to find them. Plenty of people have. All LDS-themed archaeology has ever turned up have been new hypotheses to explain away the stark lack of evidence about what should be the most concrete, irrefutable proof for their religion.

The other records, like the Book of Abraham, are known frauds. It's now proven that Joe Smith didn't know a word of Egyptian, or even its writing system. Several of his screw ups prove this. One is his lesser known works, Egyptian Alphabet & Grammar, has been thoroughly wrecked by actual Egyptologists. Another, and probably the most damning, is his mistake regarding the Kinderhook plates. Those are a set of six plates brass plates some farmers forged to trick him into trying to translate them. He took the bait.

There are other problems with his credibility as well, like his multiple versions of his "first vision" story and his criminal record. I just don't understand it. How can anyone look at this religion and see anything but a couple centuries old fraud ultimately made up by a shameless huckster looking to build a cult of personality around himself and score himself some married 14 year old poon?

Last edited:
Why do people follow any of the fantastical religious sects/cults?

Is mormonism really any nuttier than catholicism or the protestant religions? Any how in the world do the fundies rationalize their beliefs?

'tis a brain flosser, for sure.

OTOH, it apparently gives them great comfort and gives them the strength to deal with the real world.

So, I guess that's the why of it.

I do not think anyone Mormon or non-Mormon can marry a 14-year old in the state of Utah. It is against the law.

Utah Age of Consent Lawyers LegalMatch Law Library
Just like polygamy is currently illegal in Utah. Joseph Smith didn't live in Utah though. Neither did his 14 year old "wife", Helen Mar Kimball, or his actual wife, Emma Hale Smith. His actual wife only learned about Helen et al from a booklet btw. She later joined the RLDS founded by their son.

but you get your own planet when you die and get to wear magical underwear now
The underwear is more commonly known as a garment, worn to symbolize or remind one of the promises he or she has made to God.

As for the planets...it is my understanding that is more a caricature of LDS belief of the after life--kind of on the order of the dead sitting on clouds and playing harps.

I don't know much about the LDS faith, but I would recommend waiting for a member of that faith to stop by and teach us facts instead of paying much note to anything that seems a bit fantastical.

The underwear is more commonly known as a garment, worn to symbolize or remind one of the promises he or she has made to God.

As for the planets...it is my understanding that is more a caricature of LDS belief of the after life--kind of on the order of the dead sitting on clouds and playing harps.

I don't know much about the LDS faith, but I would recommend waiting for a member of that faith to stop by and teach us facts instead of paying much note to anything that seems a bit fantastical.

That's actually pretty funny - that one must wear underwear to be reminded of one's faith.

Avatar told me I didn't know anything about morms and their belief in a magic, invisible planet so I did some reading. From what I read, they do indeed believe its real. I posted the links in another thread but of course, Avatar never commented any further.

It may be one of those things that varies from sect to sect.

:dunno:

That's actually pretty funny - that one must wear underwear to be reminded of one's faith.

Avatar told me I didn't know anything about morms and their belief in a magic, invisible planet so I did some reading. From what I read, they do indeed believe its real. I posted the links in another thread but of course, Avatar never commented any further.

There are many distractions in daily life. Why is wearing a cross or underwear to keep one focused on a higher purpose than our day-to-day routines funny? When my daughter was deployed in Afghanistan, she bought me a bracelet, which has great sentimental value to me--and, during the day when it catches my eye, it not only reminds me to value those around me while they are still near, it also reminds me to say a prayer for those who are away from home and loved ones. The mind wanders, and it does no harm to rein it in every so often.

As far as the planets: I am sure, just like any faith, in matters we can't yet know or fully understand, we are allowed to speculate. How much like God can we expect to become? Will we become perfect and powerful enough to watch over others as God watches over us? From such ruminations we can get such prosaic opinions as, "There are people, angels, and God. My existence is not that of God, but as person." There are also opinions such as, "But aren't we capable of growing into something more than we are now?" This thought naturally leads to, "You mean similar to God--even be responsible for our own planet?" Some might say, "We are children of God, so why wouldn't we become a God?"

These sincere questions and speculations can provide opportunities to bully and mock. I don't know about Avatar, but I seldom, if ever, follow links. If someone wants to tell me their thoughts, and ask me questions, or have any kind of discussion with me, they can do so in their own words. I figure if people can find links that mock my beliefs, they are capable of finding links that properly explain the belief. If, as I do, they prefer to learn via discussion and have specific questions, I more than happy to converse.

People follow Morminsim for the same reason they follow any religion. They are looking for someone to tell them how to act and agree that they are the only ones acting the right way.

Catholics wear a crucifix, Jews wear a Star of David and atheists wear a sour expression.

Actually, the fun-die undies are a sacred piece of clothing there to protect and remind of one faith and the sacred garment adherents that started after Christ died..Other religions have sacred garments or articles of clothing,,like the yamika...

The Mormons know exactly where Christ will alit and have bought property in Northern Missouri to welcome the Lord back......As the news indicates, Mormons are flooding back to Missouri, where they believe is closer to their Savoir and their martyred leader...Joe(I'll be takin' yer wife now) Smith....

Catholics wear a crucifix, Jews wear a Star of David and atheists wear a sour expression.
Have the Catholics told the other Christian denominations yet about the cross?

The Mormons know exactly where Christ will alit and have bought property in Northern Missouri to welcome the Lord back......As the news indicates, Mormons are flooding back to Missouri, where they believe is closer to their Savoir and their martyred leader...Joe(I'll be takin' yer wife now) Smith....

Around the time Joseph Smith was alive, Mormons were haunted. So it is sort of hard to believe that Joesph Smith was in a position to take anyone's wife.

Around the time Joseph Smith was alive, Mormons were haunted. So it is sort of hard to believe that Joesph Smith was in a position to take anyone's wife.
I am sure he made out with a few.....haven't you??

There are many distractions in daily life. Why is wearing a cross or underwear to keep one focused on a higher purpose than our day-to-day routines funny? When my daughter was deployed in Afghanistan, she bought me a bracelet, which has great sentimental value to me--and, during the day when it catches my eye, it not only reminds me to value those around me while they are still near, it also reminds me to say a prayer for those who are away from home and loved ones. The mind wanders, and it does no harm to rein it in every so often.

As far as the planets: I am sure, just like any faith, in matters we can't yet know or fully understand, we are allowed to speculate. How much like God can we expect to become? Will we become perfect and powerful enough to watch over others as God watches over us? From such ruminations we can get such prosaic opinions as, "There are people, angels, and God. My existence is not that of God, but as person." There are also opinions such as, "But aren't we capable of growing into something more than we are now?" This thought naturally leads to, "You mean similar to God--even be responsible for our own planet?" Some might say, "We are children of God, so why wouldn't we become a God?"

These sincere questions and speculations can provide opportunities to bully and mock. I don't know about Avatar, but I seldom, if ever, follow links. If someone wants to tell me their thoughts, and ask me questions, or have any kind of discussion with me, they can do so in their own words. I figure if people can find links that mock my beliefs, they are capable of finding links that properly explain the belief. If, as I do, they prefer to learn via discussion and have specific questions, I more than happy to converse.

Where did I say wearing a cross is funny?

I didn't say wearing magic underwear is funny either. I said that 'wearing magic underwear as a reminder of one's faith is funny'.

See the difference?

Why not actually read my posts before you get all upset? If you did, you would have read my first post in this thread.

For the record, I guess I can understand why some would wear a magical talisman, like a cross. doesn't matter to me and as I said earlier in this thread, it apparently gives the wearer some sort of comfort and makes it possible for them to face reality.

Whatever the reason, its their business and has no impact on my life. Not in any way, on any level and the wearer is more than welcome to choose their jewelry for whatever reason they wish.

Have the Catholics told the other Christian denominations yet about the cross?
Do you know the difference between a crucifix and a cross?

Forum List

Back