Why do people immigrant to the united states?

Really, it was more of a food for thought question, but I'll accept the evasion of an answer as "Yes, I'd run like hell back to Canada." I don't really blame you.

I had a Messkin Friend who maintained duel citizenship, who said he, and all his Messkin buddies with duel citizenship and green cards would high-tail it back to Messko if the USA ever got in a real shooting war that necessitated the return of the draft.

I myself had duel citizenship: As an Army Brat born in Germany, my parents allowed me to choose citizenship when I was 18. Germany had (has?) the draft, so I renounced German citizenship, but registered for the US draft.

What I'm not interested in is if your kid wants to join the US Marines vs the Canadian Marines.

There are no Canadian marines.

Put it this way - instead of war since war is rare, who does one cheer for in sports, since sports happen all the time? I cheer for Canada. Sorry, I do. But I cheer for America next.

The typical pattern for an immigrant is that he retains a strong emotional attachment to his homeland. The slowly dissipates over time as he becomes more integrated into his new country but it usually remains strong for his whole life. His children feel attachment first to their country of birth, their new country but retain links to their heritage and country of origin. However they don't feel the same emotional pull to their heritage as their parents. To the immigrant's grandchildren, their heritage is more a trivia question.

Generally, your emotional attachment is to where you grew up.

Historically, many immigrants have joined the US armed services.

I think what you're saying is that The USA cannot count on Immigrant Canadians unless its a year they win a Gold Medal in Olympic Hockey.:tongue:

I think that's just because most immigrants are usually poor to lower-middle class and the armed forces are a good way to get ahead in the world.

There are no Canadian marines.

Put it this way - instead of war since war is rare, who does one cheer for in sports, since sports happen all the time? I cheer for Canada. Sorry, I do. But I cheer for America next.

The typical pattern for an immigrant is that he retains a strong emotional attachment to his homeland. The slowly dissipates over time as he becomes more integrated into his new country but it usually remains strong for his whole life. His children feel attachment first to their country of birth, their new country but retain links to their heritage and country of origin. However they don't feel the same emotional pull to their heritage as their parents. To the immigrant's grandchildren, their heritage is more a trivia question.

Generally, your emotional attachment is to where you grew up.

Historically, many immigrants have joined the US armed services.

I think what you're saying is that The USA cannot count on Immigrant Canadians unless its a year they win a Gold Medal in Olympic Hockey.:tongue:

I think that's just because most immigrants are usually poor to lower-middle class and the armed forces are a good way to get ahead in the world.

Ah.

Correction: I think what you're saying is that The USA cannot count on RICHER than Messkin Immigrant Canadians to help national defense unless its a year they win a Gold Medal in Olympic Hockey.

See, I feel this is a perfectly reasonable and healthy type of patriotism. Sure, I disagree with the "best place to live on earth" part, but that's understandable cuz I'm not American. But a combination of system, location, and luck works. The entire "I am the best fucker here cuz I landed on the right parcel of land!" mentality is what's pathetically insecure and sad.

So props Charles!

Ep....this may be off topic but....i know at least 4 people who have vacationed in Costa Rica and everyone of them says ...you got a real nice hole in the wall down there,and they loved visiting there....ok carry on....:eusa_angel:

But when the gang from "South Park" visited Costa Rica, Cartmann exclaimed: Why does everything smell like ass?

Originally posted by Bullfighter
But when the gang from "South Park" visited Costa Rica, Cartmann exclaimed: Why does everything smell like ass?

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Dude, Americans like you should stop for a moment and think:

We americans are known worldwide for the HEAVY, EXTREMELY GREASY junk food we created.

Due to the KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS of this kind of food we should be the last people in the world to complain about ass smell.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

José;2479269 said:

tsk, tsk, tsk...

We americans are known worldwide for the HEAVY, EXTREMELY GREASY junk food we created.

Due to the KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS of this kind of food we should be the last people in the world to complain about ass smell.

Gigglin' Idiot:

Yes, you're an expert on how "americans are known worldwide.":eusa_whistle:

After all, India, China, Russia, and Brazil are "for all practical purposes, just like the USA" :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Samson, listen...

When I reply to the stupidities of mentally deranged posters like Bullfighter I sometimes leave the impression I hate the USA.

But in reality I have no problem with reasonable, moderate statements like this one:

America is a great country that provides its population with a fantastic standard of living and an fair amount of civil liberties.

My only problem is with the grotesque caricature of the rest of the world some segments of the american society use to reinforce nationalist feelings among american citizens:

America is an island of prosperity surrounded by almost 5 billion and 700 million people living in abject poverty.

America was the only thing that saved me from the misery that plagues the rest of the world.

Why can't we limit ourselves to the first sober, reasonable statement? Everybody around the world who does not have bias against America will agree with it.

Why do we have to throw our consensus out the window by parroting that mindless, mentally retarded caricature?

Last edited:
José;2479352 said:
Samson, listen...

When I reply to the stupidities of mentally deranged posters like Bullfighter I sometimes leave the impression I hate the USA.

But in reality I have no problem with reasonable, moderate statements like this one:

America is a great country that provides its population with a fantastic standard of living and an fair amount of civil liberties.

My only problem is with the grotesque caricature of the rest of the world some segments of the american society use to reinforce nationalist feelings among american citizens:

America is an island of prosperity surrounded by almost 5 billion and 700 million people living in abject poverty.

America was the only thing that saved me from the misery that plagues the rest of the world.

Why can't we limit ourselves to the first sober, reasonable statement? Everybody around the world who does not have bias against America will agree with it.

Why do we have to throw our consensus out the window by parroting that mindless, mentally retarded caricature?

And yet, they still come.

José;2479352 said:
Samson, listen...

Ok I'll attempt to be sober: Not ALL countries have All populations living in abject poverty and squaller.

However, its very difficult to find a 2500 sf home not surrounded with bob-wire with a two car garage and a 60" flat screen, owned by a black man who's kids go to University, in any other country.

José;2479352 said:
Samson, listen...

Ok I'll attempt to be sober: Not ALL countries have All populations living in abject poverty and squaller.

However, its very difficult to find a 2500 sf home not surrounded with bob-wire with a two car garage and a 60" flat screen, owned by a black man who's kids go to University, in any other country.

what is bob wire?

what is bob wire?

barb wire with a penis.

See, I feel this is a perfectly reasonable and healthy type of patriotism. Sure, I disagree with the "best place to live on earth" part, but that's understandable cuz I'm not American. But a combination of system, location, and luck works. The entire "I am the best fucker here cuz I landed on the right parcel of land!" mentality is what's pathetically insecure and sad.

So props Charles!

Ep....this may be off topic but....i know at least 4 people who have vacationed in Costa Rica and everyone of them says ...you got a real nice hole in the wall down there,and they loved visiting there....ok carry on....:eusa_angel:

AHAHAHA, that was a great episode.

And yes, Costa Rica looks (and smells) JUST like that. :lol:

José;2479269 said:

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Why is it that third world people tend to live in their own feces?
:cheeky-smiley-018::cheeky-smiley-018:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back