Why do people around here make things up?

Jimmyeatworld said:
I don't know what this has to do with politics, but anyway...

After off premises sales were legalized, alcohol related accidents in this area actually dropped dramatically.

That would make sense. People wouldn't be driving fairly long distances drunk anymore because they could purchase the alcohol within their own county.

Powerman said:
That would make sense. People wouldn't be driving fairly long distances drunk anymore because they could purchase the alcohol within their own county.

I guess I should have added that the legalization wasn't county wide, just in the town I live in. Driving time for most of the county didn't change much, and some still go out of county.

As far as where I live, the biggest change is that alcohol isn't a big deal for younger people. When I was in high school, it was an event to make a beer run. Today, the average lake party has more Pepsi and bottled water than beer. Drug use, on the other hand, is a much bigger deal now.

All that said, I would imagine alcohol related accidents are far greater nationwide, especially when compared to pot. For the most part, pot smokers are going to be piled up somewhere. With drinkers, you have the bar hoppers making one more round before trying to go home.

Jimmyeatworld said:
As far as where I live, the biggest change is that alcohol isn't a big deal for younger people. When I was in high school, it was an event to make a beer run. Today, the average lake party has more Pepsi and bottled water than beer. Drug use, on the other hand, is a much bigger deal now.

3 quick notes about that

1. There is easier access to pot than alcohol even if it is legal in the area.

2. By this logic however that would mean that pot usage would decrease if it were legalized.

3. Why are you still hanging out at highschool parties and if you aren't then how do you know they are drinking pepsi and bottled water? If it's an xtc thing it would make sense I suppose.

Powerman said:
Well it may be your belief but I don't understand the point of it. Why would you just randomly choose to believe something on a hunch when there is a ton of proof suggesting just the opposite?

Interesting. I have already posted twice why I hold my belief on this topic, and personal experience and first-hand observation trump an exclusive set of numbers contrived to support a certain point of view, IMO.

You have decided what you want to think and reject all other information. I can ask the same of you. The physical and/psychological effects of alcohol and marijuana on the human body are pretty-much the same. Impaired motor controls and/or reaction time. Distorted reality.

How can anyone with an objective train of thought consider one worse than the other?

I however choose to accept that you are willing to accept only that info that agrees with your stance rather than calling you a liar for posting something I disagree with.

CivilLiberty said:
Pot is *very* accessible here in California - yet we have seen no increase in pot related traffic fatalities.

NOTE: I do NOT support driving on public roads while impaired - including when too tired - but the fact is that THC is not nearly as much of an impairment in motor skills and judgment as Alcohol.

Andy

That's bullshit. Back it up.

GunnyL said:
Interesting. I have already posted twice why I hold my belief on this topic, and personal experience and first-hand observation trump an exclusive set of numbers contrived to support a certain point of view, IMO.

You have decided what you want to think and reject all other information. I can ask the same of you. The physical and/psychological effects of alcohol and marijuana on the human body are pretty-much the same. Impaired motor controls and/or reaction time. Distorted reality.

How can anyone with an objective train of thought consider one worse than the other?

I however choose to accept that you are willing to accept only that info that agrees with your stance rather than calling you a liar for posting something I disagree with.

Look at it like this. Within certain limits alcohol and marijuana can have similar effects. But there is a limit to how stoned you can get. Alcohol can cause you to get intoxicated to the point where you aren't even conscious of what you are doing and will have no rememberence of what you did even if you are somewhat conscious of it. Alcohol causes many more fatal accidents than marijuana. To argue that point is absurd.

Powerman said:
Look at it like this. Within certain limits alcohol and marijuana can have similar effects. But there is a limit to how stoned you can get. Alcohol can cause you to get intoxicated to the point where you aren't even conscious of what you are doing and will have no rememberence of what you did even if you are somewhat conscious of it. Alcohol causes many more fatal accidents than marijuana. To argue that point is absurd.

Nothing absurd about it. And you must get some crappy weed nowadays. What "limit" is there to how stoned you can get? That as opposed to you can only drink so much alcohol before you pass out or die.

Alcohol causes more fatal accidents than marijuana IN YOUR OPINION. Absurdity is speaking absolutely about something subjective.

Powerman said:
If someone said that Houston was more populated than Los Angeles you probably wouldn't believe them. However if they were right and you were wrong they could go to a credible source like the census home page and give facts pertaining to the issue. There are plenty of biased junk sources out there pertaining to politics. I realize that. But when you make a statement like marijuana causes just as many deaths as alcohol I want to see some proof. You can't just use yourself as a source. That's absurd.
Well, I must say, a person sure can learn something from other people. I don't have any links either, but for going on 7 decades I have heard that Mary Jane, (marijuana) will impare driving worse than alcohol. How wrong can I be! By the way Powerman, the link you provided doesn't take marijuana into account. Can you possibly post one that does where you can prove your statements? I have an open mind and if I see proof, I will surely believe it. But until then, marijuana is the culprit.

If I had to choose between getting in the car with someone who's drunk and someone who's stonded, I choose the stoner any day of the week. We may get lost, but we won't hit a tree. The effects are totally different. I know first hand. Also, experience is a factor. Experienced stoners can do anything stoned. Even complex tasks like computer programming. :dance:

Jesus would have loved ganja.

Also, considering the above dilemma, one might suggest I find less subversive friends.

rtwngAvngr said:
If I had to choose between getting in the car with someone who's drunk and someone who's stonded. I choose the stoner any day of the week. We may get lost, but we won't hit a tree. The effects are totally different. I know first hand. Also, experience is a factor. Experienced stoners can do anything stoned. Even complex tasks like computer programming. :dance:

Jesus would have loved ganja.

LMAO. Lost in the MickeyD's drive-thru?

Merlin said:
Well, I must say, a person sure can learn something from other people. I don't have any links either, but for going on 7 decades I have heard that Mary Jane, (marijuana) will impare driving worse than alcohol. How wrong can I be! By the way Powerman, the link you provided doesn't take marijuana into account. Can you possibly post one that does where you can prove your statements? I have an open mind and if I see proof, I will surely believe it. But until then, marijuana is the culprit.

This is sheer lunacy. I didn't provide any statistics that link marijuana to fatal car accidents because they don't exist. The number is so small it's absurd and not even worth documenting. You vastly underestimate how dangerous drinking and driving is if you are going to claim that smoking pot is more dagerous.

Powerman said:
This is sheer lunacy. I didn't provide any statistics that link marijuana to fatal car accidents because they don't exist. The number is so small it's absurd and not even worth documenting. You vastly underestimate how dangerous drinking and driving is if you are going to claim that smoking pot is more dagerous.

There are no numbers; yet, you make absolute statements on a subjective topic.

You're simply voicing YOUR opinion. Has anyone called YOU a liar yet?

This whole thread is about making thinks up. You can't see that YOU have made up your own facts?

Ya called me out...so here ya go...y'all flunked homework 101...
Did a quick google search on marijuana car related crashes and effects...Hit over thirty sites...

Here is just one for starters: Of 150 reckless drivers tested in this study...who were tested for drugs at the scene 33% tested positive for marijuana 12 % tested positive for marijuana & cocaine...data showed smoking MJ people show same lack of coordination on standard "Drunk Driver"test as do people who had too much to drink...

www.nida.nih.gov/marijBroch/marijparentsstxt.html

Next time before you start calling people liars do your homework first...will save you alot of embarrassment!

If you have a problem with the above link go to: www.nida.nih.gov/MarijBroch/marijteenstxt.html

OK from your link...

Marijuana may play a role in car accidents. In one study conducted in Memphis, TN, researchers found that, of 150 reckless drivers who were tested for drugs at the arrest scene, 33 percent tested positive for marijuana, and 12 percent tested positive for both marijuana and cocaine

This doesn't mean that they were high at the time. It just means that they smoked pot sometime recently.

Powerman said:
OK from your link...

Marijuana may play a role in car accidents. In one study conducted in Memphis, TN, researchers found that, of 150 reckless drivers who were tested for drugs at the arrest scene, 33 percent tested positive for marijuana, and 12 percent tested positive for both marijuana and cocaine

This doesn't mean that they were high at the time. It just means that they smoked pot sometime recently.

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension...45% tested postive for drugs and the cause was as cited...it said the drugs stayed in the system for 24hrs...you are trying to argue symantics...does not hold water...and it also said the "Drunk Driver" test results was the same for both alcohol and MJ...get a grip and admit your false statements against me...... :coffee3:

archangel said:
Do you have a problem with reading comprehension...42% tested postive for drugs and the cause was as cited...it said the drugs stayed in the system for 24hrs...you are trying to argue symantics...does not hold water...and it also said the "Drunk Driver" test results was the same for both alcohol and MJ...get a grip and admit your false statements against me...... :coffee3:

This is the problem with this absurd logic. You say that the drugs stay in the system for 24 hours. With regard to marijuana it is traceable for weeks or even months after use and the effects only last about 30 minutes. If a certain pct. of people test positive for marijuana at any given time it doesn't mean that all of those people are high.

Powerman said:
This is the problem with this absurd logic. You say that the drugs stay in the system for 24 hours. With regard to marijuana it is traceable for weeks or even months after use and the effects only last about 30 minutes. If a certain pct. of people test positive for marijuana at any given time it doesn't mean that all of those people are high.

I did not say this the study did...if you have a problem...please write the ones who did the study...you asked for a link and I provided one...now go back to school...you are flunking badly! :blah2:

Forum List

Back