About making things up...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by c.inquisition, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c.inquisition

c.inquisition Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Powerman has a point about the need for accurate factual support. Here is an example - http://www.reproductiverights.org/pdf/pr_focusgroup_0805.pdf

The Center for Reproductive Rights uses this focus group to justify a - filibuster (note that word) - of Supreme Court nominee Judge John Roberts. This is horse dookey at work:

"Initially, there is no great sense of concern or distress at RobertsÂ’ nomination. Voters know little about him and as a result they conjecture that he does not have terrible liabilities. Indeed, the relative absence of opposition voices has led some to assume that he has support across the aisle."

Then:

"There is support for use of the filibuster even before respondents hear any of the information about Judge Roberts. Indeed, a majority say that if a nominee has 51 votes but not 60, the President should withdraw the nomination. The watchwords here are consensus and non-partisanship. Voters want both, and a 51-vote margin is a slap in the face to those twin goals."

"Slap in the face?" Unbiased reporting here?

"Initially, 22% of respondents favored RobertsÂ’ confirmation, with an additional 33% undecided but leaning towards confirmation. Thus a total of 55% leaned toward support for confirmation."

22% for and 45% against. So the "undecideds" had peer pressure to the tune of 2 to 1 against nomination? How the hell does that give an accurate measure of any of this. Read the full report if you want a good laugh.

TWO ISSUES -

First, I take a strongly Libertarian view on abortion. When the brain waves begin, there is a living human being. Prior, not. BUT WE CAN ARGUE ABORTION LATER. Really. I promise. My point is that even with my position, I can see that this focus group is BUNK.

Second, making stuff up as you go is dangerous. Disagree? Where, in the name of everything constitutional is the requirement for a supermajority to confirm a judicial nomination? FILIBUSTER. In this congress, the DEMS made up this requirement and then used a bull puckey version of history to support it.

There? Get it?

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Let's stop. There's already ONE making-things-up thread, kay? I'm putting the lid on this before it gets crazy.

3. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    But there is a point to it. Why even have a discussion if you are just going to make things up? Doesn't seem like a very sensible debate method especially on political matters.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    There are links to nearly everything you can think of but that does not necessarly mean they are true. Sometimes they are both true.

example
    A stitch in time , saves nine
    Haste makes waste

Both truths but encouraging opposite actions

5. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

Youre mincing words though. The case in which I was originally speaking of is a clear cut case of someone making something up without knowing what they are talking about. I'm not going to start the topic again on this thread. Look at the thread I started if you want to see what I mean,

If I came out of nowhere and said that japanese cars are more reliable than american cars I would probably be right but you would want some info for me to back that claim. You can't just make things up and use yourself as a source. That's just cheap.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    This was closed because it seems to be a continuation of a topic in another thread. If a 'Using Data vs making shit up' thread is created - don't get all attacking, personal and such. Foster Harmoney..

I love you all...

Except that ONE guy :)

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.