About making things up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.inquisition

Rookie
Aug 2, 2005
Philadelphia
Powerman has a point about the need for accurate factual support. Here is an example - http://www.reproductiverights.org/pdf/pr_focusgroup_0805.pdf

The Center for Reproductive Rights uses this focus group to justify a - filibuster (note that word) - of Supreme Court nominee Judge John Roberts. This is horse dookey at work:

"Initially, there is no great sense of concern or distress at Roberts’ nomination. Voters know little about him and as a result they conjecture that he does not have terrible liabilities. Indeed, the relative absence of opposition voices has led some to assume that he has support across the aisle."

Then:

"There is support for use of the filibuster even before respondents hear any of the information about Judge Roberts. Indeed, a majority say that if a nominee has 51 votes but not 60, the President should withdraw the nomination. The watchwords here are consensus and non-partisanship. Voters want both, and a 51-vote margin is a slap in the face to those twin goals."

"Slap in the face?" Unbiased reporting here?

"Initially, 22% of respondents favored Roberts’ confirmation, with an additional 33% undecided but leaning towards confirmation. Thus a total of 55% leaned toward support for confirmation."

22% for and 45% against. So the "undecideds" had peer pressure to the tune of 2 to 1 against nomination? How the hell does that give an accurate measure of any of this. Read the full report if you want a good laugh.

TWO ISSUES -

First, I take a strongly Libertarian view on abortion. When the brain waves begin, there is a living human being. Prior, not. BUT WE CAN ARGUE ABORTION LATER. Really. I promise. My point is that even with my position, I can see that this focus group is BUNK.

Second, making stuff up as you go is dangerous. Disagree? Where, in the name of everything constitutional is the requirement for a supermajority to confirm a judicial nomination? FILIBUSTER. In this congress, the DEMS made up this requirement and then used a bull puckey version of history to support it.

There? Get it?

-=d=- said:
Let's stop. There's already ONE making-things-up thread, kay? I'm putting the lid on this before it gets crazy.

But there is a point to it. Why even have a discussion if you are just going to make things up? Doesn't seem like a very sensible debate method especially on political matters.

There are links to nearly everything you can think of but that does not necessarly mean they are true. Sometimes they are both true.

example
A stitch in time , saves nine
Haste makes waste

Both truths but encouraging opposite actions

dilloduck said:
There are links to nearly everything you can think of but that does not necessarly mean they are true. Sometimes they are both true.

example
A stitch in time , saves nine
Haste makes waste

Both truths but encouraging opposite actions

Youre mincing words though. The case in which I was originally speaking of is a clear cut case of someone making something up without knowing what they are talking about. I'm not going to start the topic again on this thread. Look at the thread I started if you want to see what I mean,

If I came out of nowhere and said that japanese cars are more reliable than american cars I would probably be right but you would want some info for me to back that claim. You can't just make things up and use yourself as a source. That's just cheap.

This was closed because it seems to be a continuation of a topic in another thread. If a 'Using Data vs making shit up' thread is created - don't get all attacking, personal and such. Foster Harmoney..

I love you all...

Except that ONE guy :)

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back