Why do languages have genders? Impossible to learn!

In English,there is a pronoun like "he" but also a "she". Then there is "his" and "hers". And so on. Why is this extra complexity? Did girls use to speak a different English from guys? Also, other languages have neutral genders, to increment the gender count to three. Is that because half of the speakers were slaves and eunuchs? What is the big idea for this stupid language grammar gender thing in all Indo European languages?

Gender in language is a way to to reflect the world more effective :)
Do Russian verbs have gender?

I am guessing not.
Unfortunately they do in the past tense. Male past tense is -l, female is -la, and neutral is -lo. Disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"?

?????
Okay, the Russians are not the stupidest in putting some optimization and logic into their language. The French and the German are worse. Still disgraceful. In fact, the somewhat better irregular English verb tensing too is already a constant mess up on children who learn English as their first language.

... in the phrase "holy queen's English", the way I read it "holy" modifies "English", not "queen".......

Unless there is a hyphen between "holy" and "queen," the only correct way to read it is as modifying "English."

yes----you are right----I was sloppy, I should have written---the ENGLISH OF THE HOLY QUEEN
No because holy is spelt with ll, like holly. Hehe.

In English,there is a pronoun like "he" but also a "she". Then there is "his" and "hers". And so on. Why is this extra complexity? Did girls use to speak a different English from guys? Also, other languages have neutral genders, to increment the gender count to three. Is that because half of the speakers were slaves and eunuchs? What is the big idea for this stupid language grammar gender thing in all Indo European languages?

I am guessing not.
Unfortunately they do in the past tense. Male past tense is -l, female is -la, and neutral is -lo. Disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"?

?????
Okay, the Russians are not the stupidest in putting some optimization and logic into their language. The French and the German are worse. Still disgraceful. In fact, the somewhat better irregular English verb tensing too is already a constant mess up on children who learn English as their first language.

What exactly are you finding "disgraceful"?

I am guessing not.

Yes, every Russian verb has gender, expressed by ending. And also, almost all inanimate objects in Russian language have genders - it's one of source of language paradoxes, difficult for foreign people :)

I am guessing not.

"Disgraceful"?

?????

Language - is a way to think. If language would be fully "logical" and "optimized", how could you start to use your right hemisphere of brain? :)

I am guessing not.

Yes, every Russian verb has gender, expressed by ending. And also, almost all inanimate objects in Russian language have genders - it's one of source of language paradoxes, difficult for foreign people :)
So Russian is as ancient as Hebrew and more ancient than Greek.

I did not know.

I knew it was harder than German -- my mom told me.

But I have never studied Russian.

I am guessing not.

"Disgraceful"?

?????
English is the most "simple" language in terms of sloppy structure.

Spanish is next, just slightly more complicated.

French is next, with lots of silent letters. In Spanish you pronounce all the letters.

German is next, with very structured declensions and conjugations.

Latin is next.

Greek is next.

Hebrew is extremely complex with gender for the verbs too. Russian and Japanese also have gendered verbs.

I am guessing not.

I did not know.

Modern Russian is not so ancient, it was reformed last time after Revolution, and many times before... Modern Russian and Russian of 17th century - are two different things :)

Russian language has strong contextual layer... I think, it's not difficult to speak Russian - more difficult is speak as Russian people... :)

I am guessing not.

I did not know.

Modern Russian is not so ancient, it was reformed last time after Revolution, and many times before... Modern Russian and Russian of 17th century - are two different things :)

Russian language has strong contextual layer... I think, it's not difficult to speak Russian - more difficult is speak as Russian people... :)
Greek and Hebrew have also been simplified and reformed in modern times as well.

Greek in the 1800's.

Hebrew in the 1940's.

Similar pattern with Russian I suppose.

I am guessing not.

I did not know.

Greek and Hebrew have also been simplified and reformed in modern times as well.

Greek in the 1800's.

Hebrew in the 1940's.

I have no idea what happened to Greek------Hebrew is Hebrew-----grammar is just as jumbled as it was when the
people out there in the sticks wrote the Dead Sea scrolls. It never got "simplified"----but there were and still are people who argue here and there that it should be

I am guessing not.

I did not know.

Greek in the 1800's.

Hebrew in the 1940's.

I have no idea what happened to Greek------Hebrew is Hebrew-----grammar is just as jumbled as it was when the
people out there in the sticks wrote the Dead Sea scrolls. It never got "simplified"----but there were and still are people who argue here and there that it should be
You should pick up a copy of the Tenakh and start reading in Bereshet 1:1.

Biblical Hebrew is practically incomprehensible for modern Jews and Israelis.

I did not know.

Greek in the 1800's.

Hebrew in the 1940's.

My Hebrew is not at all "FLUENT" however------bereshet is simple Hebrew-------reading the dead sea scrolls is about
as archaic as is Yediot Achronot. Now repeat after me---
"aleph kametz AUH" it's only 22 letters------you will pick it up in NO TIME

b'reshet IN THE BEGINNING <<< very good translation

b'rashet baroh.... <<<< very simple and basic hebrew

I did not know.

Greek in the 1800's.

Hebrew in the 1940's.

My Hebrew is not at all "FLUENT" however------bereshet is simple Hebrew-------reading the dead sea scrolls is about

You've got the easy parts down.

It's the harder parts that require speculative decipherment.

Greek in the 1800's.

Hebrew in the 1940's.

You've got the easy parts down.

It's the harder parts that require speculative decipherment.

LOL so true-------I found the same problem in my text book of Organic Chemistry----IN ENGLISH----modern English----the language I have been speaking since infancy. Have you ever tried to read HOLLINSHEAD ---textbook of anatomy?

Since Biology and Chemistry are NOT really math based, they were each hard for me to comprehend.

I did not do above average in them in high school or college.

I found that they are mostly memorization of a lot of data.

I absolutely hated organic chemistry.

And immunology was tedious as well.

I bailed out from both and went back into math via business classes.

Here there are simple formulae with easy math.

I get that organic chem lets you crack petroleum, and that immunology lets you manufacture new drugs.

But I hated them and my mind was not cut out for it.

Hebrew and Greek have been comparatively easy compared to science memorization.

Hebrew and Greek make perfect sense.

Subject, verb, predicate, with adverbs, adjectives, prepositional phrases -- all intending to communicate a truth or to spread a lie.

Since Biology and Chemistry are NOT really math based, they were each hard for me to comprehend.

I did not do above average in them in high school or college.

I found that they are mostly memorization of a lot of data.

I absolutely hated organic chemistry.

And immunology was tedious as well.

I bailed out from both and went back into math via business classes.

Here there are simple formulae with easy math.

I get that organic chem lets you crack petroleum, and that immunology lets you manufacture new drugs.

But I hated them and my mind was not cut out for it.

Hebrew and Greek have been comparatively easy compared to science memorization.

Hebrew and Greek make perfect sense.

Subject, verb, predicate, with adverbs, adjectives, prepositional phrases -- all intending to communicate a truth or to spread a lie.

long long ago-------when I was a college freshman-----I had a friend (sorta) who was terrific in math-----but he could not write a "theme paper"------I tried to help him but it was hopeless-----He did not see any reason to be able to write a
cogent sentence. He showed me his "theme paper"----a kinda weekly freshman requirement in that school-----He had written out the rules of baseball-------and could not understand
why he got a "D" since all the words were spelled correctly.
Organic chem is a lot like algebra and trig. It is not a pile of facts. ---ya just gotta PRACTICE it-----like calculus. ---then it begins to make sense. Anatomy is like geography-----damned tedious

Forum List

Back