Why do languages have genders? Impossible to learn!

Your word for the day is SCHISM:
--------------------------------------------------------------
schism
ˈs(k)izəm/division, split, rift, breach, rupture, break, separation, severance; More
chasm, gulf;
discord, disagreement, dissension
"the schism between her father and his brother"
  • the formal separation of a church into two churches or the secession of a group owing to doctrinal and other differences.
Origin
upload_2016-8-11_1-56-17.png

late Middle English: from Old French scisme, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek skhisma ‘cleft,’ from skhizein ‘to split.’

Note that in the case of King Henry the 8th he wanted a divorce which the Pope would not give him. So Henry rebelled against the Pope and stole all of the Catholic Church's properties in England and declared himself the head of the new English church which he called "Anglican".

There was/is nothing holy about that.

Thou shalt not steal.

Last edited:
[...

Fatter o' mact, being a descendant of German....

English is not a descendant of German. Both German and English are descendants of Proto-Germanic.

It just fucking kills you that I know this shit, doesn't it .....

It should bother YOU that you understand only half of what you try to talk about. If you took correction better, you'd learn more.

your accusation against the HOLY QUEEN's ENGLISH---is
BLASPHEMY
The English Queen is not holy she is regal or royal.

Were she a Catholic queen then and only then would she be a holy queen.

But ever since Henry the 8th the English church has been in rebellion from the Vatican and therefore not holy.

Completely off topic.

schism
ˈs(k)izəm/division, split, rift, breach, rupture, break, separation, severance; More
chasm, gulf;
  • the formal separation of a church into two churches or the secession of a group owing to doctrinal and other differences.
Origin
View attachment 85128
late Middle English: from Old French scisme, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek skhisma ‘cleft,’ from skhizein ‘to split.’

Note that in the case of King Henry the 8th he wanted a divorce which the Pope would not give him. So Henry rebelled against the Pope and stole all of the Catholic Church's properties in England and declared himself the head of the new English church which he called "Anglican".

Thou shalt not steal.

Completely off topic.

In English,there is a pronoun like "he" but also a "she". Then there is "his" and "hers". And so on. Why is this extra complexity? Did girls use to speak a different English from guys? Also, other languages have neutral genders, to increment the gender count to three. Is that because half of the speakers were slaves and eunuchs? What is the big idea for this stupid language grammar gender thing in all Indo European languages?

Gender in language is a way to to reflect the world more effective :)

schism
chasm, gulf;
Origin
View attachment 85128

Thou shalt not steal.

Completely off topic.

I thought, the term "schism" was always about 1054 year in Constantinople...

schism
chasm, gulf;
Origin
View attachment 85128

Thou shalt not steal.

Completely off topic.

I thought, the term "schism" was always about 1054 year in Constantinople...
That was the first really big one NOT COUNTING the Aryan/Athanasian Schism prior to 325 AD.

There have been several schisms.

King Henry the 8th was but yet another.

In English,there is a pronoun like "he" but also a "she". Then there is "his" and "hers". And so on. Why is this extra complexity? Did girls use to speak a different English from guys? Also, other languages have neutral genders, to increment the gender count to three. Is that because half of the speakers were slaves and eunuchs? What is the big idea for this stupid language grammar gender thing in all Indo European languages?

Do Russian verbs have gender?

I am guessing not.

I am guessing not.
Unfortunately they do in the past tense. Male past tense is -l, female is -la, and neutral is -lo. Disgraceful.

I am guessing not.
Unfortunately they do in the past tense. Male past tense is -l, female is -la, and neutral is -lo. Disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"?

?????

BLASPHEMY

But ever since Henry the 8th the English church has been in rebellion from the Vatican and therefore not holy.

Two observations:
one, in the phrase "holy queen's English", the way I read it "holy" modifies "English", not "queen"....

And two -- it seems to me that any queen of anywhere, by definition, is holey. Otherwise she'd be a king.

ba_dum__ching_by_draygone.gif

BLASPHEMY

Two observations:
one, in the phrase "holy queen's English", the way I read it "holy" modifies "English", not "queen"....

And two -- it seems to me that any queen of anywhere, by definition, is holey. Otherwise she'd be a king.

vulgar bastard !

BLASPHEMY

Two observations:

vulgar bastard !

Hey, I coulda put it in good ol' earthy Anglo-Saxon..... :eusa_angel:

BLASPHEMY

Two observations:

vulgar bastard !

Hey, I coulda put it in good ol' earthy Anglo-Saxon..... :eusa_angel:

I have to admit-------anglo saxon DOES IT BETTER

... in the phrase "holy queen's English", the way I read it "holy" modifies "English", not "queen".......

Unless there is a hyphen between "holy" and "queen," the only correct way to read it is as "holy" modifying "queen's English." It is an example of a cumulative adjective.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back