Why do Americans glorify their soldiers?

Hmm training, equipment, weaponry, supply line, vehicles, military intelligence, technology... I'm sure there are more that's just off the top of my head. :thup:
Really? When did the US fought a war that was not against an already weakened country? I mean, you cannot say, you are superior because the Iraqi army were beaten in 2003.
Please refer back to my first post.
OK
US soldier with rifle vs non-US soldier with rifle.
Advantages of the US soldier: none, does not even know why he is here to fight the non-US soldier.
Advantages of non-US soldier: has high fighting spirit as he defends his country.

captain blei-----you never met a US soldier-----maybe a few when you were younger and lots were stationed in Germany------
You don´t know anything about me so keep your universal knowledge silent.

I know more about you than I ever wanted to------I read your idiot posts

Really? When did the US fought a war that was not against an already weakened country? I mean, you cannot say, you are superior because the Iraqi army were beaten in 2003.
OK
Advantages of the US soldier: none, does not even know why he is here to fight the non-US soldier.
Advantages of non-US soldier: has high fighting spirit as he defends his country.

captain blei-----you never met a US soldier-----maybe a few when you were younger and lots were stationed in Germany------

So you know I am way superior to you?

OK

So you know I am far superior to you?

I know that you are afflicted with a personality disorder described as narcissism----the word itself refers to a greek myth------very nice little story

OK

So you know I am far superior to you?

I know that you are afflicted with a personality disorder described as narcissism----the word itself refers to a greek myth------very nice little story
You are overlaying everyone who doesn´t agree with you with all words you know.

Why does America glorify their military?

Probably because the are only 1 percent of the population, tasked with 100 percent of the nations protection.

And yeah..............it takes a special kind of attitude to be willing to put up with deployments outside of the US on a regular basis, to spend months of time away from your friends and family, for a wage that is less than what that same person could be making in the civilian world.

But.................I don't look at it as glorifying, I look at it more as being appreciative that I was willing to do a job that they aren't or weren't, because I served over 20 years in the Navy.

And yeah..............the pay sucks, the hours are long, and deployments can be a bitch, but where else can you get paid to travel all over the planet at Uncle Sam's expense? Me? I've seen places and things that a lot of people can only dream about, and I never had to get a passport, and I was paid to go there.

Besides...........after the fiasco of Viet Nam, the vets can never be shown too much appreciation, especially if they sacrificed part of their bodies or their lives.

Your butthurt is not proof.
No, the proof is the UN Charter, the Nuremberg Principles, the declaration by the SecGen of the UN of the illegality of the Iraq invasion and the necessary lowering of recruiting standards as replacement criminals became hard to find. All this required US soldiers to be glorified by those sitting safe while their dirty work was done for them.
And yet, oddly, you have failed to prove your assertions.

You really should just stop.

I always was surprised why Americans glorify their soldiers like they do. I don't mean honorable WW2 veterans or something I mean regular soldiers. I don't get why every soldier is supposed to be a hero. Serving your country as a soldier doesn't automatically make you a hero or anything like that. You have to earn those things like called being a hero or a respected person. This whole glorification of soldiers sounds for me like a cult. I just don't get it.
What is wrong with you???

I'm a Vietnam vet and you're a total fuggin idiot.
Anyone who serves in the military gives up a hugh amount of their own freedom so that others can continue to enjoy theirs. If that doesn't earn your respect you simply do not understand the term. Your fault; not theirs.

It was not a war crime, you hysterical idiot.
Ha! You actually did tell me that.

Breached the UN Charter, violated the Nuremberg Principles, initiated aggressive war. War crime for sure, arse drippings.

Last edited:
And yet, oddly, you have failed to prove your assertions.

You really should just stop.
That you wish to dismiss proof in the form of the Nuremberg findings, for example, is neither here nor there. Though you may well be right and the invasion of Iraq not only war crimes but crimes against peace as well. I stand corrected.

Charter of the International Military Tribunal

http://law2.umkc.edu

ARTICLE 6

The Tribunal established by the Agreement referred to in Article 1 hereof for the trial and punishment of the major war criminals of the European Axis countries shall have the power to try and punish persons who, acting in the interests of the European Axis countries, whether as individuals or as members of organizations, committed any of the following crimes.

The following acts, or any of them, are crimes coming within the jurisdiction of the Tribunal for which there shall be individual responsibility:

(a) Crimes against Peace: namely, planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression, or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances, or participation in a Common Plan or Conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the foregoing;

(b) War Crimes: namely, violations of the laws or customs of war. Such violations shall include, but not be limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave labor or for any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory, murder or ill-treatment of prisoners of war or persons on the seas, killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton destruction of cities, towns, or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity;

(c) Crimes against Humanity: namely, murder, extermination, enslavement, deportation, and other inhumane acts committed against any civilian population, before or during the war,14 or persecutions on political, racial, or religious grounds in execution of or in connection with any crime within the jurisdiction of the Tribunal, whether or not in violation of domestic law of the country where perpetrated. Leaders, organizers, instigators, and accomplices participating in the formulation or execution of a Common Plan or Conspiracy to commit any of the foregoing crimes are responsible for all acts performed by any persons in execution of such plan.

Last edited:
I'm a Vietnam vet and you're a total fuggin idiot.
Anyone who serves in the military gives up a hugh amount of their own freedom so that others can continue to enjoy theirs. If that doesn't earn your respect you simply do not understand the term. Your fault; not theirs.
Citizens of the US neither gained nor maintained freedom because the unification of Vietnam was delayed a couple of decades. Perhaps they enjoyed freedom more knowing 2 million odd Vietnamese had been killed in the interim.

Learnt is a variant especially common outside North America. In British writing, for instance, it appears about once for every three instances of learned.
[...]
You slaughter the English language [...]
That's pretty funny, as though 'British' English was slaughter.

I mean all this stuff is common knowledge to everyone except American ignoramuses, apparently. Probably FoxNews watchers, more misinformed than those who watch no news at all...You'd think even they would have to accept illegal war is criminal; however, I've learnt not to hold my breath waiting for that light bulb to go on.

So the soldiers who do this illegal dirty work are glorified by those who do not go, both in order to assuage their guilt at sitting safe while someone else does the dirty work and to deflect from the illegality of that dirty work. It's not rocket science.

Iraq war was illegal and breached UN charter, says Annan

Iraq war was illegal and breached UN charter says Annan World news The Guardian

The United Nations secretary general, Kofi Annan, declared explicitly for the first time last night that the US-led war on Iraq was illegal.

Mr Annan said that the invasion was not sanctioned by the UN security council or in accordance with the UN's founding charter. In an interview with the BBC World Service broadcast last night, he was asked outright if the war was illegal. He replied: "Yes, if you wish."

He then added unequivocally: "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter. From our point of view and from the charter point of view it was illegal."

Last edited:
images

behead_islam.jpg

The Israeli Anti-Semitic Cartoon Contest vs the Iranian Holocaust Cartoon Contest: 1 - 0

A Danish paper publishes a cartoon that mocks Muslims.
An Iranian paper responds with a Holocaust cartoons contest -
- Now a group of Israelis announce their own anti-Semitic cartoons contest! These are the opening sentences on the website of the Israeli graphic artist and publisher of Dimona Comix Publishing, Amitay Sandy. There are no more sentences needed than the three above, really. The contest is a reaction to the by the Iranian government announced Holocaust Cartoon Contest.

Amitay Sandy: "We’ll show the world we can do the best, sharpest, most offensive Jew hating cartoons ever published! No Iranian will beat us on our home turf!" And to join the contest there are not many rules, except these:
* deadline = 5th of March 2006;
* creators should be Jewish drawing Anti-Semitic (as also clarified on its website: anti-Jewish) cartoons;
* max size is A4 and they should be in 300 dpi.
* they should be send over e-mail to: [email protected]

The best works will be displayed in an Exhibition in Tel-Aviv, Israel. Furthermore Sandy is in the process of arranging sponsorships of large organizations, and promises lucrative prizes for the winners,
"including of course the famous Matzo-bread baked with the blood of Christian children."

Some miles further to the east the website hosting the Iranian Holocaust Cartoon Contest, shows us one of their first cartoons. The website, despite its fears, has still not been closed by the United States, so it is not necessary to go to its mirror sites; unless its server will get overheated by the many visitors. If that is the case, try mirror 1, mirror 2, and mirror 3.

While Amnesty International just released a report on Iran stating that the new government fails to address dire human rights situation and which focusses among other issues on the long-standing repression of ethnic minorities and the limitations on the freedom of expression, the Iranian government is trying to convince the world that by introducing this Cartoon Contest it's seeking "the border for western Liberty of Expression".

Apparantly the contest has several themes. Theme 1 is dedicated to the following: "Why should the "Palestinian people" pay for the "holocaust" story?"The rules are somewhat stricter than its Israeli counterpart:
* deadline = 15th of May 2006
* original cartoons should be sent by mail:
Iranian House of Cartoon
No. 60, Golnabi(ketabi) St.,Shariati Ave.
Tehran, I.R.Iran
Tel/Fax:(+98 21)2868600;
* cartoons should be also sent by E –mail by JPG format and 200 DPI to [email protected] ;
* Size should be min. A4 and max. A3;

The best work will be awarded by the following prizes:
First prize :12000$
Second prize:8000$
Third Prize:5000$
+
12 Special Prize

A book of selected opuses will be send to all the artists.
No regret for offending and getting offended The Israeli Anti-Semitic Cartoon Contest vs the Iranian Holocaust Cartoon Contest 1 - 0

I mean all this stuff is common knowledge to everyone except American ignoramuses, apparently. Probably FoxNews watchers, more misinformed than those who watch no news at all...You'd think even they would have to accept illegal war is criminal; however, I've learnt not to hold my breath waiting for that light bulb to go one.

So the soldiers who do this illegal dirty work are glorified by those who do not go, both in order to assuage their guilt at sitting safe while someone else does the dirty work and to deflect from the illegality of that dirty work. It's not rocket science.

Iraq war was illegal and breached UN charter, says Annan

Iraq war was illegal and breached UN charter says Annan World news The Guardian

The United Nations secretary general, Kofi Annan, declared explicitly for the first time last night that the US-led war on Iraq was illegal.

Mr Annan said that the invasion was not sanctioned by the UN security council or in accordance with the UN's founding charter. In an interview with the BBC World Service broadcast last night, he was asked outright if the war was illegal. He replied: "Yes, if you wish."

He then added unequivocally: "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter. From our point of view and from the charter point of view it was illegal."

So arrest him and your fictional army

Forum List

Back