Why did Romney Lose?

Why did Romney lose the election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's nothing Romney did. Obama played a dirty campaign by bribing people to vote for him. We'd need another Reagan to have beaten Obama, and we will brew one in 2016 to beat whatever democrat is running. The fact of the matter is people like free stuff, and that's what Obama offered.

I voted for him. Where is my free stuff?

I said a lot of people, not everybody.

It's nothing Romney did. Obama played a dirty campaign by bribing people to vote for him. We'd need another Reagan to have beaten Obama, and we will brew one in 2016 to beat whatever democrat is running. The fact of the matter is people like free stuff, and that's what Obama offered.

Bullshit.

Grow up and take responsibility for what you say and do.

The LAST thing we need is another Reagan.

Pay for your own health care insurance instead of depending on Libs to pay for you ER trips.

And, for Pete's sake, turn off Fox, Lush, Beck, Dredge, Britbart.

Think for yourself.

Take responsibilty? Uh, okay, I said that Obama bought votes because he offered free stuff to people. Do you not think this caused a lot of people to vote for him.

As for Reagan, he easily is one of the top five presidents of all time. He restored American prosperity and greatness that we were so lacking. He was a great speaker, even better than Obama. That's what we need right now. I think his farewell address sums it up well, if you ever have the time to watch it. It'll bring tears to your eyes, I gurantee it. Google "Ronald Reagan's Farewell Address" and it should be the 21 minute YouTube video that comes up.

And I'm 14; my parents cover my health coverage. But I'm glad to see you don't support universal healthcare!

And regarding my news source, I get information from many sources. I trust fox the most, though, because even though I do believe they have conservative bias they have a lot of liberals on it that pretty much even things out. They also are the minority in terms of having lots of conservative commentators; so if they mess up, we'll all here about it on the other outlets. Where do you get your news, MSNBC?

Ronnie sucked.

Reagan cut taxes for the Rich, increased taxes on the Middle Class.
He Tripled the National Debt. Do you know anything about Iran/Contra? Did you know he funded terrorists? How can you say he was one of the best?

He was a frigging liberal running as a conservative.

He couldn't hide from his past and campaigning as a conservative cost him the liberal and moderate votes he might have gotten from those that were fed up with Obama. The only people that really supported him were the 47% of people who were "anybody but Obama".

Hehe, just had to throw in that number.

Immie

That dinosaur speak is what keeps us getting our ass kicked.
He won the majority of the Republican delegates.
Right wing policies is what directly swayed moderate and independent voters to Obama.

Bullshit. There were many factors, but to say that it wasnt Romney's fault is naive and partisan. Romney could never shake the stereotypical rich CEO image that was pinned on him in the primaries. And the things he said, whether misconstrued or accidental, only reinforced that image.

Republicans need to grow up and stop trying to pin the blame on everything but Romney.

The "he is a Mormon" is the most ignorant answer of them all.
"It is a cult", what an absurd claim. I know many Mormons here in Atlanta area and they are all fairly moderate and independent good family hard working community folks from all walks of life.
If there ever was a cult in this country it would be right wing Christian and the nation is full of politicians in office that fit that profile.

And Romney has never and will never be close to what those people believe in.

Bullshit. There were many factors, but to say that it wasnt Romney's fault is naive and partisan. Romney could never shake the stereotypical rich CEO image that was pinned on him in the primaries. And the things he said, whether misconstrued or accidental, only reinforced that image.

Republicans need to grow up and stop trying to pin the blame on everything but Romney.

So your bias in stereotyping someone is their fault?

He couldn't hide from his past and campaigning as a conservative cost him the liberal and moderate votes he might have gotten from those that were fed up with Obama. The only people that really supported him were the 47% of people who were "anybody but Obama".

Immie

Right wing policies is what directly swayed moderate and independent voters to Obama.

Maybe we need to have an amicable divorce.

The Plutocratic wing can run on the Mr. Potter policies of "Suck it, Peasants."

The Theocratic wing can run on the policies of bringing the country back to God.

Frankly, I suspect if it were put to a vote, the Jesus wing would get more votes than the Ayn Rand wing.

The "he is a Mormon" is the most ignorant answer of them all.
"It is a cult", what an absurd claim. I know many Mormons here in Atlanta area and they are all fairly moderate and independent good family hard working community folks from all walks of life.
If there ever was a cult in this country it would be right wing Christian and the nation is full of politicians in office that fit that profile.

And Romney has never and will never be close to what those people believe in.

I've known Mormons, and they were the creepiest, most back-stabbing mother effers I ever met in my life.

His Mormonism SHOULD have been an issue, but the media refused to talk about it. Thankfully, the man had so many other flaws he lost anyway... so there's that.

Bullshit.

Pay for your own health care insurance instead of depending on Libs to pay for you ER trips.

Think for yourself.

Take responsibilty? Uh, okay, I said that Obama bought votes because he offered free stuff to people. Do you not think this caused a lot of people to vote for him.

As for Reagan, he easily is one of the top five presidents of all time. He restored American prosperity and greatness that we were so lacking. He was a great speaker, even better than Obama. That's what we need right now. I think his farewell address sums it up well, if you ever have the time to watch it. It'll bring tears to your eyes, I gurantee it. Google "Ronald Reagan's Farewell Address" and it should be the 21 minute YouTube video that comes up.

And I'm 14; my parents cover my health coverage. But I'm glad to see you don't support universal healthcare!

And regarding my news source, I get information from many sources. I trust fox the most, though, because even though I do believe they have conservative bias they have a lot of liberals on it that pretty much even things out. They also are the minority in terms of having lots of conservative commentators; so if they mess up, we'll all here about it on the other outlets. Where do you get your news, MSNBC?

Ronnie sucked.

He Tripled the National Debt. Do you know anything about Iran/Contra? Did you know he funded terrorists? How can you say he was one of the best?

True. He also gave us Scalia and Thomas, two no greater enemies of the rule of law.

[

True. He also gave us Scalia and Thomas, two no greater enemies of the rule of law.

Technically, Bush-41 gave us Thomas..

I do want to take a minute or two here to say some good things in Defense of Reagan. (Probably because I voted for him twice, before I swung to the dark side.)

First, Reagan was a pragmatist you'd never see in today's Republican party. Yes, he nominated Scalia, but he also nominated O'Connor and Kennedy, who are sensible moderates. (I'll deduct points for trying to nominate Bork.)

Second, he didn't wed himself to bad ideas. In 1986, when he saw that the Laffer Curve wasn't producing that deficit erasing growth the Supply Siders always promised, he got behind tax reform that brought taxes back up to reasonable levels by eliminating a lot of deductions. He comprimised with O'Neill on a scheme that has kept Social Security solvent up until... well, now.

Third, he did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. Examples being that he extended Amnesty as a larger program to fix immigration.

This was before "Bipartisanship" and "Comprimise" became dirty words in the GOP, though.

Bullshit.

Think for yourself.

Ronnie sucked.

Reagan started NAFTA legislation and started the largest economic boom in American history.
Brought down the Berlin wall and broke up the Soviet Union. That alone saved us trillions in defense spending to date.
He launched the largest worldwide free trade agreement that INVOLVED 60 NATIONS that we previously had to pay high tarriffs with.
His monetary policy restricted the money supply thus lowering the 20% inflation rate left to him by Carter. He cut it in half immediately.
Most importantly, he DECREASED CITIZENS' RELIANCE ON GOVERNMENT.
That alone was a great accomplishment considering the Obama record in that area.

[

I do want to take a minute or two here to say some good things in Defense of Reagan. (Probably because I voted for him twice, before I swung to the dark side.)

First, Reagan was a pragmatist you'd never see in today's Republican party. Yes, he nominated Scalia, but he also nominated O'Connor and Kennedy, who are sensible moderates. (I'll deduct points for trying to nominate Bork.)

Second, he didn't wed himself to bad ideas. In 1986, when he saw that the Laffer Curve wasn't producing that deficit erasing growth the Supply Siders always promised, he got behind tax reform that brought taxes back up to reasonable levels by eliminating a lot of deductions. He comprimised with O'Neill on a scheme that has kept Social Security solvent up until... well, now.

Third, he did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. Examples being that he extended Amnesty as a larger program to fix immigration.

This was before "Bipartisanship" and "Comprimise" became dirty words in the GOP, though.

And even though Reagan was a deeply religious man he stayed away from the abortion and gay boogeyman issues. I believe it was Reagan that fought hard against that California amendment barring gays and lesbians from teaching in California.
Yes, Reagan and O'Neill worked well together and were drinking buddies on top of that.

Immie

Maybe we need to have an amicable divorce.

The Plutocratic wing can run on the Mr. Potter policies of "Suck it, Peasants."

The Theocratic wing can run on the policies of bringing the country back to God.

Frankly, I suspect if it were put to a vote, the Jesus wing would get more votes than the Ayn Rand wing.

Probably so but only because the Jesus freaks will ask "Who is Ayn Rand?"

So your bias in stereotyping someone is their fault?

I never said that's how I personally saw Romney, but there were a lot of voters that saw him that way. I saw him as a windsock, and that's why he didn't get my vote.

[

Not ‘technically,’ he did – I stand corrected.

My issue with Reagan wasn’t so much the individual, but his administrators; perhaps they didn’t allow ‘Reagan to be Reagan.’ But those 8 years were mostly predicated on rightist fiscal and social dogma, and Reagan embraced the radical right and Christian fundamentalists with open arms.

It was an administration that manifested a hostile knee-jerk reaction to all forms of regulation, pursued a militarist agenda with regard to foreign policy, and attempted to pack the Federal courts with conservative judges during his second term when his conservative agenda failed to gain traction in Congress, the Senate taken back by Democrats.

‘Reagan’ was in essence a reactionary, a purveyor of the myth of an American past that never actually existed to begin with, a past that wasn’t so pleasant for millions of Americans for whom American was never ‘a shining city on a hill.’

He's like a Richie Rich/Lord Fauntroy/ guy of privilege-type that very few can relate to. Plus his religion, which the repub base (evangelicals) deeply mistrusts was a factor w/ them. It seems they did very few things right. Not saying running for President is easy but it wasn't his 1st-time either.

Forum List

Back